ST 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
After much hesitation, I changed the oil today in my 99 7.3 using Supertech 15W40, which is CJ4/SN rated. After hearing nothing but good stories about it from some of yall on here who have used it in 7.3s, I decided to give it a shot. I've been using the Fram PH3786 filter the past few oil changes, it seems pretty well built. So far, so good.

I've used it in my pickup a few times. For the price you can't beat it. Probably just as good as the top-tier brands.

My 1995 K3500 7.4 (454) dually has gone 300,000 miles on "cheap" 15W-40 and uses very little oil - - (mostly valve cover leaks)

I see no reason to fear it.

Super Tech 15W40 appears to be a good performing HDEO based upon user feedback and a few posted UOAs here. Also, the VOAs for this oil, listed on the PQIA website, shows that it has a decent additive package. Currently, the oil is API CJ4 licensed, and hopefully, Walmart will have the formulation updated to CK4 in the near future. In my area, it is blended by Warren Distribution, and the Walmart has lowered the price to $9.64/gal making it a pretty good buy. I would not hesitate to use it.

I've put 150 miles so far on this oci with zero issues. I will do a uoa at the next oil change at 5k miles, first uoa ever for this truck. If it comes back ok I'll use Supertech 15W40 from here on out.

Just walked out of Walmart her in Texas and the Super Tech 15w-40 has gone CK4.

I pass on it until I see ppm levels. Hopefully the zinc and such stay high.

In the mean time I picked up a 5 gallon jug of Travellers 15w-40 for 32.99

It is true that Super Tech 15W40 is being updated to CK4. The new formulation is still going to have higher levels of phosphorus and zinc. Super Tech 15W40 CK4 meets Ford's WSS-M2C171-F1 specification. If Walmart maintains the current price of $9.64 per gal for CK4 Super Tech 15W40, this oil will be a good value.

Originally Posted by rdg
Super Tech 15W40 appears to be a good performing HDEO based upon user feedback and a few posted UOAs here. Also, the VOAs for this oil, listed on the PQIA website, shows that it has a decent additive package. Currently, the oil is API CJ4 licensed, and hopefully, Walmart will have the formulation updated to CK4 in the near future. In my area, it is blended by Warren Distribution, and the Walmart has lowered the price to $9.64/gal making it a pretty good buy. I would not hesitate to use it.

Hopefully? No! That's the reason I like it. We still want CJ-4 for these dinosaur diesel trucks. Plenty of CK-4 formulations out there already. It's nice to still have access to a robust CJ-4 oil.

Originally Posted by akcooper9
Just walked out of Walmart her in Texas and the Super Tech 15w-40 has gone CK4.

I pass on it until I see ppm levels. Hopefully the zinc and such stay high.

In the mean time I picked up a 5 gallon jug of Travellers 15w-40 for 32.99

Well crap....just saw this. I guess I'll have to use it. FML with these "improvements". On the positive side, Traveller's is the same stuff and that's a good price.

TSC Traveller HDEO is no longer the same stuff as Super Tech, because TSC changed their oil marketer to Martin Lubricants.

Originally Posted by rdg
Below is a link on the TSC website of a review for Traveller Premium All Fleet 15W40 - scroll down to the second review and there you find that the reviewer posted a photo of the Technical Data Sheet from Martin Lubricants:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-40-diesel-engine-oil-5-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Great find and thanks to the person who posted it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any particular reason why you want a CJ oil as opposed to CI4+ or CK4 ?

Originally Posted by bbslider001

Hopefully? No! That's the reason I like it. We still want CJ-4 for these dinosaur diesel trucks. Plenty of CK-4 formulations out there already. It's nice to still have access to a robust CJ-4 oil.

Originally Posted by akcooper9
Originally Posted by rdg
Below is a link on the TSC website of a review for Traveller Premium All Fleet 15W40 - scroll down to the second review and there you find that the reviewer posted a photo of the Technical Data Sheet from Martin Lubricants:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-40-diesel-engine-oil-5-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Great find and thanks to the person who posted it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

103.4 @40 almost looks like 10 weight territory?

Super Tech 15W40 has been updated to CK4. It's only a matter of time when the CK4 formulation will be available in local Walmarts. Walmart is in the process of clearing out the remaining inventory of the older CJ4 formulation. Warren Distribution is still the oil blender, at least, in my area.

Originally Posted by rileyc
Super Tech 15W40 has been updated to CK4. It's only a matter of time when the CK4 formulation will be available in local Walmarts. Walmart is in the process of clearing out the remaining inventory of the older CJ4 formulation. Warren Distribution is still the oil blender, at least, in my area.

Ya i check every time I go buy rotella to see if they have ST CK-4 mine doesnt yet but, I will definitely try it should they eventually have it. I didnt know they have CK available already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back