5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
I'm new here but have searched and can't get a definitive answer. I have an 09 altima, 2.5, 105k that uses oil and has since it was new. I had the oil consumption test done at Nissan when they considered "under a quart per 1k normal" it's always [censored] me off but I've dealt with it. This car uses around a quart every 1500, sometimes less but never more. I've tried just about every oil on the market and found conventional actually uses the least. Last summer the cvt went out and Nissan replaced it under warranty. To replace the tranny they had to drop part of the exhaust and the precat was fine so at least I'm not dealing with that issue. In the old days we just went with thicker oil so I'm considering 5w40 as opposed to the 5-30 that's recommended. Has anyone done this with this engine? The car is mint so I don't wanna cause mechanical issues but I'm giving this car to my college son who probably won't be as diligent about checking the oil. Thanks in advance here.

Another alternative instead of 5w40 is to go with one of the high mileage 5w30 oils out there, as they'll be a little easier to find and will often be right at the thick end of the 30 weight range so that they lessen the consumption.

If conventional uses the least, stick with it. Try a thick HM like Castrol 5/10w-30 HM. Could even use a 10w-40HM like Supertech in the summer.

i think the synthetic oil molecules are thinner than conventional oil molecules so to me by using anything synthetic will use more oil (I mean leak/squeeze thru seals)? if that were my car i would stay with conventional dino oil. Also a 5w30 oil versus has 6x (six times) the VIs (Viscosity Improvers) that a 5w40 weight oil has which has 8x (eight times), in a motorcycle shared sump bike those VIs get chewed up on the transmission meaning the 5w40 needs changning out OCI more often cause of VI depletion, don't know about cars

Last edited:
if the piston rings are worn then yes some oil will be suckioned past the rings into the combustion chamber and thus use up oil but then the spark plugs will be wet and dark burned with oil so check the plugs for those signs

if this were me, I'd give the car to your son to use along with a quart of oil and some instructions how to check oil level and how to add some oil if needed

i had the QR25DE and it used no oil, but mine was a 2014. Have you checked the PCV plumbing? I dont know if that year had VVT, but if it does you need to stay with the 5w30. Dont overfill to start, that will just exacerbate the issue.

A decade ago I would tell you to use Rotella T 10w30 Triple protect conventional, but I can only find the semi-syn and i didn't like that.

What is your driving style?

I would say try a HM conventional in either 5w-30 or 5w-40 and see if that makes a difference.
Send the car off with a few extra quarts of oil and make sure your son knows how to check and add oil on a regular basis.

Sorry I guess I should have explained everything I've tried. I've tried high mileage, both synthetic and semi conventional such as max life.... no real difference. I've change the pcv twice, aftermarket and oem. I also used Liqui Moly oil saver. I haven't done a compression test but maybe I should and maybe I dont wanna know. The spark plugs when I changed them at 100k we're almost perfect btw. I had an 03 and never had the consumption issues that plagued those years and when it was totaled by a deer it had 180k and used maybe a half quart every 5k. The 09 runs like a clock and makes a round trip from ohio to stlouis twice a month and never misses a beat, it really does run perfect. My wife's rogue has the same engine and nada on the consumption. Like I said, I know the car and just add oil but I don't trust my son too. He wouldn't hear the engine lock up over the stereo lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
I would say try a HM conventional in either 5w-30 or 5w-40 and see if that makes a difference.
Send the car off with a few extra quarts of oil and make sure your son knows how to check and add oil on a regular basis.

I think that's what I'll do as long as 5-40 isn't to thick?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
i had the QR25DE and it used no oil, but mine was a 2014. Have you checked the PCV plumbing? I dont know if that year had VVT, but if it does you need to stay with the 5w30. Dont overfill to start, that will just exacerbate the issue.

A decade ago I would tell you to use Rotella T 10w30 Triple protect conventional, but I can only find the semi-syn and i didn't like that.

What is your driving style?

I'm 45 so and am pretty frugal so I try not to beat on a car. Oil changes every 3750 per nissans severe recommendation as this car is short tripped quite a bit during Ohio winters.

girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5L DI engine is similar, the spec 20 was a joke 30 was better for a while, but at almost 60 thou it was getting worse. so i went to a 5-40 euro + it greatly improved. all oils typical fake synthetic using mostly group 3 highly refined crude oil. DI engines are harder on oil + frequent changes as you do are good as oil is a LOT less than engines. many owners trade often + care less whats "sleeping" in their engines at trade in. many of the cars in usa are spec with 20 water but in europe they use 5-40 quite often as long life trumps the 1/4 mpg from thin oils.

My mom's '01 Altima (not the same engine as yours, of course) will burn through a quart or so of 5W-30 in an OCI. That consumption is near or is zilch when ever I put in a diesel grade 10W-30 conventional (like the Rotella mentioned above).

If they replaced the CVT under warranty, then I assume the whole powertrain is still under warranty. I would be careful changing oil viscosity, be sure you stay within the mfg recommendations. After warranty, do whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back