Honda GCV 160 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking up the Honda GC160 engine and noticed it came out in 1997. I happen to own two lawnmowers with it. My oldest is a 2003 I purchased for my cabin. The engine is a overhead cam design with a " lifetime timing belt ". The engine is now 16 years old. I only did occasional oil changes, probably missing some years all together. The engine runs great. I'm starting to wonder what the technical limit is on that belt. Has anyone ever busted a belt?

Well... There it is, a timing belt. I was sure it would be a chain. Have they been using the timing belt for a long time, or is this a recent change?

I believe the originals had it. Time flies. If I busted a belt I would give it to some Bitogger or take it to the dump.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
How does the head get lubrication?

The timing belt carries oil up to the head and it splashes around.
Oil mist is often enough if it's engineered that way.

My 2¢

For what it's worth I did have my GC160 apart last year to check the valves. They didn't need adjusted and the nylon cam looked like new, belt as well. This engine is on a snowblower and has seen roughly 12 years of hard service.

I think I am pushing ten years on the GCV160 on the mower. Total parts cost has been about $25 (spark plug, air filter, recoil mechanism/top hat). To be fair it does mow actual grass, not rocks, dirt, or stumps. Oil gets changed every two years. Nothing bad to say about it.

I used to have a mower shop. I have never seen this belt break, ever. I have seen the plastic camshaft pulley break at least 25 times. The plastic pulley is the weak link on these engine. This engine absolutely will not last on a pressure washer. Or a mower if you hit a lot of stumps.

I have one on a pressure washer and they seem to be decent engines for the price. Runs very smooth and is under a pretty heavy load running the pressure washer.

I don't know that they were readily available in the States in 1997, but possibly on some commercial stuff. I bought my first Honda 21" mower in 1999 and AFAIK, was the first model year for one with a GCV160. It's the basic steel decked, single speed self propelled model. The mower is kind of rough, but the engine still purrs like a kitten. Nothing but sporadic oil changes and maybe 1-2 spark plug and air filter changes in 20yrs.

I have a Troy Bilt that I bought from Lowe's several years ago with this engine and it's been great, the only issue I have with it is the carb. and honestly it's not even worth trying to clean or repair the old one when it costs around $20 for a new one, the problem I have with it is you need like 3 hands to install the new one, there is this plastic spacer, gaskets, two bolts and the carb so it's kinda hard trying to align everything together, also try to run only Non-Ethanol if at all possible the Ethanol today really gums it up. I've mostly used Chevron Delo 10w30 but PP 5w30 is what's currently in there.

Very easy on gas, I have a small yard and can mow it twice on one tank. I've since bought a Husq. that is awd because there is a hill in the back yard so the Honda doesn't get used all that much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back