Galloway Precision Triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue oval - I see no replies so I'll throw my opinion out there.

A couple of years ago I ordered a trigger kit from Galloway. I had major problems with it and they were nice enough to say "send it back and we will re-machine it". It came back and it was better but not near good enough for a carry gun. I asked for my money back. I was told no.

You won't see me buying anymore Galloway products.

Not saying you are looking at SD but its generally not a good idea to put a trigger kit on one. And with respect to Glocks, triggers get pretty smooth after a few thousand rounds.

Originally Posted by Al
Not saying you are looking at SD but its generally not a good idea to put a trigger kit on one. And with respect to Glocks, triggers get pretty smooth after a few thousand rounds.

Al, thanks for offering that advice. And, you're correct about the SD part. The SD in SD9 stands for SELF DEFENSE. S&W built it that way for the trigger to be just that, SD (8 lbs.). BUT, like many other gun enthusiasts, I wanted a lighter, smooth, crisp, trigger pull. So, I installed the APEX SD spring kit. It brought the trigger pull down to a nice crisp 5.75 lbs. Now, I want a trigger to bring it all together. That hinged type trigger just don't do it for me. I had never heard of the GP trigger. I do know APEX makes quality parts.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
[
Al, thanks for offering that advice. And, you're correct about the SD part. The SD in SD9 stands for SELF DEFENSE

Yea it depends on the purpose and the way you practice. My only focus is SD and I practice with that in mind. I don't shoot for "fun" The only thing you can't simulate with SD training/practice is adrenaline. And in a SD situation you would be better served with a 20 lb trigger. So the heavier the trigger pull the better you are off for practice/training.

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
[
Al, thanks for offering that advice. And, you're correct about the SD part. The SD in SD9 stands for SELF DEFENSE

Yea it depends on the purpose and the way you practice. My only focus is SD and I practice with that in mind. I don't shoot for "fun" The only thing you can't simulate with SD training/practice is adrenaline. And in a SD situation you would be better served with a 20 lb trigger. So the heavier the trigger pull the better you are off for practice/training.

Do some push ups right before you start shooting....very close to an adrenaline dump.

Originally Posted by Treadstone

Do some push ups right before you start shooting....very close to an adrenaline dump.

Can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I do make it a point to shoot in the worst weather though. Thanks!!!

I sometimes carry my SD40VE. I installed the Apex spring kit, but left the trigger stock. From everything that I've read, about the only fitting that may need done is minor filing on the back of the blade safety. Looks like an interesting trigger.

L8R,
Matt

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
I sometimes carry my SD40VE. I installed the Apex spring kit, but left the trigger stock. From everything that I've read, about the only fitting that may need done is minor filing on the back of the blade safety. Looks like an interesting trigger.

L8R,
Matt

ABM, I have seen this in the APEX trigger install. I wonder why APEX is the only trigger this has to be done to?
How do you like your SDVE since the spring kit install? I think it made my trigger pull difference like night and day.

I like it. It dropped mine down from the typical 8# pull to 6lbs 1oz. I installed the spring kit probably about 4 years ago and never had any reliability issues with it. My main CCW is my Walther PPS M2 which I absolutely love. It's a little heavier than most subcompact, single stack 9mm pistols, but that equates to actually being enjoyable to shoot for extended sessions at the range. It's a soft shooter for its size. But I do keep kind of looking at the newer SD9 pistols with the grey or FDE frames. Major bang for the buck with this line!

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
I like it. It dropped mine down from the typical 8# pull to 6lbs 1oz. I installed the spring kit probably about 4 years ago and never had any reliability issues with it. My main CCW is my Walther PPS M2 which I absolutely love. It's a little heavier than most subcompact, single stack 9mm pistols, but that equates to actually being enjoyable to shoot for extended sessions at the range. It's a soft shooter for its size. But I do keep kind of looking at the newer SD9 pistols with the grey or FDE frames. Major bang for the buck with this line!

L8R,
Matt

I have the all black SD9 with the HI-VIZ sights. It was made 12/2016.
In January 2017 I went to my local Academy to buy the SD40 but they had sold the last one about 4-5 hours before I got there. So, I bought the 2nd to last SD9 they had left. They were on sale for $299.
I still have my SIGMA SW40VE from 1999. It has an 11.50 lb. trigger pull, and I love it!

I'm sure the Galloway parts are fine and the 'carbon fiber reinforced nylon' they use is up to the task, but I'm not a big fan of 3D printing parts that need to be a precise fit.

The front of the trigger looks ok, apparently cleaned up a little by hand: https://gallowayprecision.com/image...dica-trigger_galloway-precision_4270.jpg

But the rear view is kind of ugly: https://gallowayprecision.com/image...dica-trigger_galloway-precision_4271.jpg

That said, it's only $22 so it's probably worth trying.

1) Buy a cheap gun.
2) Throw expensive parts in it
3) Own a cheap gun with expensive parts in it.

The Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 would probably be the same price as the modified SD9, and still be a better gun with a better trigger.

Don't waste your time modifying the SD9.

And this is coming from the loudsest proudest SD9 fan in existence. I've owned hundreds of pistols, and I cant find a single thing wrong with a stock SD9 pistol. Yes the trigger is 8-9 pounds. But, it is a budget pistol, designed for new, inexperienced shooters. As such, the stock trigger is PERFECT. Its safe, reliable, and ideal, for a new gun owner, for home defense.

Its one of the first guns I recommend to new inexperienced shooters on a budget.

I have at least 10,000 rounds through my two SD9 pistols. No jams. No problems. Which is about what you would expect from a practical Glock clone pistol.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
1) Buy a cheap gun.
2) Throw expensive parts in it
3) Own a cheap gun with expensive parts in it.

The Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 would probably be the same price as the modified SD9, and still be a better gun with a better trigger.

Don't waste your time modifying the SD9.

And this is coming from the loudsest proudest SD9 fan in existence. I've owned hundreds of pistols, and I cant find a single thing wrong with a stock SD9 pistol. Yes the trigger is 8-9 pounds. But, it is a budget pistol, designed for new, inexperienced shooters. As such, the stock trigger is PERFECT. Its safe, reliable, and ideal, for a new gun owner, for home defense.

Its one of the first guns I recommend to new inexperienced shooters on a budget.

I have at least 10,000 rounds through my two SD9 pistols. No jams. No problems. Which is about what you would expect from a practical Glock clone pistol.

Thanks for the advice BT. I know you're a former LEO, and I respect that! But, what's done is done. And, I like the way the trigger pull is now. I still want to get rid of that hinged trigger. I'm by far not an inexperienced shooter. I like the SD. It's a lot of gun for a low price, IMO. It eats every kind of ammo I feed it, with no FTF's or FTE's.
I hope you're sitting down for this one, because I would choose it over a G19, all day long!

Not sure why S&W went with the hinged trigger design when everyone and their brother uses the blade safety in the middle of the trigger. I was kind of surprised when they kept it when the M&P 2.0 series was released.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back