Inside an Aussie V-8 Supercars Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big thanks for the video
Super Car Racing doesnt get the recognition it deserves in USA as it should !!ðŸ

Was waiting for him to talk about what kind of oil cooling systems they use, and what max oil temperatures are typically seen.

I saw that video when KRE posted it on their Facebook page yesterday. I find it interesting how many components are spec. I keep meaning to order some KRE swag.

The 20,654hp engine parity formula really makes sense.

He makes an interesting point at 8:15 regarding thinner oils "staying in the crosshatch" of the bores and lubricating better under fuel wash conditions than thicker oils.

Belt driven oil pump, that'd keep me up at night. I've got a belt driven oil pump on my scooter, and there is no oil pressure gauge on a 2 stroke...I'll know the belt fell off a couple of days after it did.

Surface discharge plugs, another reinvention. 50 years ago ignition systems were nothing like what we have now.

That was awesome, thanks. I'm heading to watch the Supercars at Symmons Plains on Saturday
smile.gif

Originally Posted by crainholio
He makes an interesting point at 8:15 regarding thinner oils "staying in the crosshatch" of the bores and lubricating better under fuel wash conditions than thicker oils.

Yes, I thought people would grab that...it doesn't make a lot of sense as an engineering statement
BTW, the oil that he was pouring into the oil header tank was 25W60 dino...I doubt that they are running that either.

Thanks for this one. A lot of good info in there. The engine is more different from NASCAR than I thought it would be. They have a unique block casting that has a traditional small-block Chevy head bolt pattern, but a .7" lower deck height, and cast from compacted graphite iron, which must have been pricey to source in low volume.

I wondered why he was talking about fuel washing the cylinder walls early in the video, thinking that it shouldn't be a problem with EFI. But it made more sense when I saw that they have the injectors above the butterflies in the intake manifold, and that they run E85 fuel. At low throttle openings, the injectors will spray the fuel on the throttle plates, which will run down the walls of the intake ports, and give poor atomization and mixture distribution. Since it's a race engine, and spends maybe 70% of its time at WOT, maybe that's OK, but I'd like to see results of a post-race UOA that shows fuel dilution. I bet it's bad. If they had a second set of injectors below the throttle plates, and switched to them below "X" throttle opening, they could eliminate the fuel wash issue, and probably save a lot of fuel over race distances. Or do the rules prohibit a second set of injectors?

Last edited:
No probs...

I remember seeing Bathurst coverage one year that they said tat the 7,500RPM limit let them run lower decks and CoG.

But that didn't stop them over-revving on downshifts for additional braking, and an additional 1,000-1,500RPM

It took me a few minutes to accustom to the guy's English. My problem not narrator's I wasn't 100% invested until I saw the the push rods. Gotta be OHV to be a real V8. Also missed the HP/Torque specs. What an engine! 40K$ .
grin2.gif

Nice video, Look at the size (volume) of that airbox, I wonder if they use some type of crankcase evacuator? Interesting info on the plugs....In superbike land they have some hi dollar IIRC (about $40 buck each) ngk plugs.

Originally Posted by andyd
It took me a few minutes to accustom to the guy's English. My problem not narrator's I wasn't 100% invested until I saw the the push rods. Gotta be OHV to be a real V8. Also missed the HP/Torque specs. What an engine! 40K$ .
grin2.gif

V8 Supercar uses a cumulative horsepower equivalency formula among the current engine manufacturers. The engine is dyno'd and measurements are taken every 50 RPM between 5800 and 7450. The numbers added together cannot exceed 20,654. When you average that out it is around 625hp. This formula allows teams to move the power needed around in that RPM range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cven

Nice video, Look at the size (volume) of that airbox, I wonder if they use some type of crankcase evacuator? Interesting info on the plugs....In superbike land they have some hi dollar IIRC (about $40 buck each) ngk plugs.

Yes, he mentions they do use them. Either in this video or in other ones.

He said during his discussion of the dry sump pump that they pump down the crankcase by 22 in. Hg. I assumed that was all due to the pump scavenge stages and not a separate vacuum pump.

Originally Posted by A_Harman

He said during his discussion of the dry sump pump that they pump down the crankcase by 22 in. Hg. I assumed that was all due to the pump scavenge stages and not a separate vacuum pump.

Yes, with a dry sump pump and that much scavenging you don't need a vacuum pump.

Originally Posted by crainholio

What is interesting in the 1970's Smokey Eunick said the same thing about lubrication of the cylinders.

No, they made the statement that the crosshatch was necessary to stop the oil being scraped off...not that certain viscosities stayed in the crosshatch better.

I love those intake manifolds on the Holdens and Fords. I want to get my hands on a Ford one for my 95 Mustang since I decided to make it a dedicated track car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back