Anyone near CA code 91746 ? Check out MAXX oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there is this hoo haa hype here in Malaysia with this so called American lube company called Maxx oil.
Here is their website
https://www.maxx-oil.com/contact-maxxoil/

their Address is listed as
168 Mason Way Ste B-6, City of Industry, CA 91746

I have favor to ask BITOG members who live nearby. I googled map street viewed the address and did not see any signboards with the company name.
So If there is anyone nearby willing to pass by and have a look and perhaps take some pics ?

Copy and paste the address into a map app and view it. It looks a like a warehouse in a industrial park area of Los Angeles.

never heard of 'em...

reminds me of another oil i saw people talking about on here several years back(I forget what it was called)...they listed an address in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area as their headquarters....
when i googled the address... it came back as a Christian Charter School...which street view confirmed...

It looks like the photo from Google Maps was from a couple of months ago and they might not have been there yet. There's a space available sign out in front for a commercial real estate company.

I tried looking them up in the API EOLCS direction and found nothing. However, I found a BITOG post from last year that included their directory listing. Their API license just expired yesterday. They also looked to be in a different location.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?companyId=10883
Maxx Oil, LLC
Corporate Address:
4570 EUCALYPTUS AVE STE A
CHINO, CA, 91710-9200, United States
License Status: Expired
License Number: 3114
Original License Issue Date: 30-Dec-2014
License Effective Date: 30-Mar-2018
License Expiration Date: 31-Mar-2019

I wouldn't necessarily worry about a location like this. I remember looking up where Red Line Oil's headquarters were. It was basically a small warehouse that couldn't possibly be adequate for the volume of product they produced. It was just an office building and some small scale testing going on there. It was pretty obvious that the blending/packaging had to be done elsewhere.

As for MaxxOil, I don't know one way or another, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a facility located somewhere else to do the blending, or perhaps farm out the blending to a larger company. It wouldn't even surprise me if it were simply a ready made additive package from one of the big companies (Lubrizol, Afton, BASF, Oronite) blended with a suitable base oil mix. Probably won't bomb an engine, but I take any grandiose claim with a grain of salt.

I dont know, but I have a nagging feeling its only a "shell" of a company in The US to legitimize their claim that they come from the USA. Another gut feeling its a malaysian company....

Originally Posted by alcyon
I dont know, but I have a nagging feeling its only a "shell" of a company in The US to legitimize their claim that they come from the USA. Another gut feeling its a malaysian company....

Found this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/court-orders-maxxoil-trade-mark-eliminated/ar-BBNNsTO?li=AA4Zjl

Shah Alam is in Malaysia? They do have a variety of motor oils sold directly by Amazon.com in the United States, but it's not really a company that seems to have a big US presence.

And this:

https://www.prwire.asia/maxxoil-to-open-new-headquarters-in-changchun-china/

Could just be a blender though. Nothing really all that wrong with it, but it could just be a lot of talk about making a unique product.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

Found this.

Shah Alam is in Malaysia? They do have a variety of motor oils sold directly by Amazon.com in the United States, but it's not really a company that seems to have a big US presence.

Yes Shah Alam is about 30km from where I live.

As far as I can tell, MaxxOil is really targeted towards the Malaysian market. It might actually be blended in the US, but short of things such as product datasheets it's difficult to differentiate it from other API certified oils. Also - a lot of the reporting on this trademark dispute seems to indicate that it's really a sold by some Malaysian company called "Shift Holdings". They seem to heavily sponsor racing in Asia.

Some of what they've put out in the press seems a bit silly. API certification is hardly "prestigious". There are literally thousands of API certified motor oils across the world, and obtaining API certification is just a baseline for acceptable quality in the US and other countries. Also - a lot of their advertising seems to be filled with poor English grammar.

https://marketingmagazine.com.my/maxxoil-speaks-out-on-product-accusations-infringement/
"We wish to highlight that we have maintained a dedication to produce the highest quality products possible. We request that all parties stop spreading fake news regarding our products immediately." said the company.

MaxxOil products are globally recognized and hold the prestigious American Petroleum Institute (API) certification of quality, with performance being proven again and again, both on the racetrack and by daily car users.

And I saw what they put out under their Maxx Oil USA YouTube channel. Absolutely it looks like they're trying to look like a "leading American company". I looked at their 4 YouTube uploads, and it's a little bit odd. The one that caught my attention is one titled "MaxxOil USA testimonial & review by Werkshop North California". That's just kind of odd grammar that I would expect from someone whose native language isn't English or doesn't know the way we describe place names in around here. Nobody would call any place "North California". I personally live in "Northern California". I looked it up, and the shop featured is real, and located in the city of South San Francisco.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Jygz0JhtfNdc0UtoJnTFQ
https://www.yelp.com/biz/werkshop-south-san-francisco

Or their video titled "Review on MaxxOil how to make car engine running smoother, quieter and less oil consumption." If they had hired me to clean up their title, I would have corrected it to read "Review of MaxxOil - how to make a car engine run smoother, quieter, and with lower oil consumption." I've seen stuff like that from poor translation, but grammatical mistakes like that are common with many Asian immigrants. The other two repair shops featured in their YouTube videos are real though. Some place called RBMS Auto Care in Hayward, California and another place called Italian Performance in San Carlos, California. I don't know what their relationship is with these shops.

As for MaxxOil, I can safely say that very few Americans would have heard of it. I have never seen it in a store, and I've never been to any repair shop that uses it. Even if it's considered a "boutique oil" it doesn't have anywhere near the name recognition of Amsoil, Red Line, or even Driven Racing.

Also - a lot of their advertising seems to be filled with poor English grammar.

A That's just kind of odd grammar that I would expect from someone whose native language isn't English or doesn't know the way we describe place names in around here. Nobody would call any place "North California". I personally live in "Northern California". I looked it up, and the shop featured is real, and located in the city of South San Francisco.

Exactly ! You hit the nail on the head so to speak, the way they worded their promo material is just soooo Malaysian Chinese in style. This is what bothers me so much about them. I know for sure Americans do not write like that !

Exactly ! You hit the nail on the head so to speak, the way they worded their promo material is just soooo Malaysian Chinese in style. This is what bothers me so much about them. I know for sure Americans do not write like that !

I don't know exactly how they're marketing it. If someone gave some of their 0W-20 for free I probably wouldn't mind putting it in my wife's Honda Civic since it appears that at least at one time it was an API certified oil. Strike that. It looks like they just got renewed for one more year. But they're still listed as being in Chino and not in City of Industry.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?companyId=10883
Company Name: Maxx Oil, LLC
Corporate Address:
4570 EUCALYPTUS AVE STE A
CHINO, CA, 91710-9200, United States
License Status: Active
License Number: 3114
Original License Issue Date: 30-Dec-2014
License Effective Date: 03-Apr-2019
License Expiration Date: 31-Mar-2020

I did see that it was actually sold by Amazon.com and is listed on Walmart's website as actually sold and shipped by Walmart. That doesn't mean that there were a whole lot of people actually buying them. Amazon lists a lot of different products that they barely sell. The MaxxOil products are ranked like #3000 or so in their sales rankings. I'll just say they seem to be overselling their supposed American reputation to customers in Asia.

But if I were going to actually buy any motor oil with my own money, I have no incentive to buy this particular oil.

I find this rather amusing the lengths they seem to go to try and advertise their "Americanness" yet fail to address simple proofreading issues. I don't know if these people in their videos are their employees or just actors, but I would think even they would have known enough to proofread their advertising copy for grammatical errors. They went through a lot of little details, such as an American flag patch on a lab coat which seems really odd. I'm not sure how those three repair shops in their video got involved either. Two of them seem to be owned by Asian immigrants, although the third shop seems to be owned by someone with an American accent.

I also saw something from a blog claiming that MaxxOil was used in NASCAR. They have various Facebook pages that mention NASCAR.

https://grippysgarage.com/2015/10/29/maxxoil/

I find this rather amusing the lengths they seem to go to try and advertise their "Americanness" yet fail to address simple proofreading issues. I don't know if these people in their videos are their employees or just actors, but I would think even they would have known enough to proofread their advertising copy for grammatical errors. They went through a lot of little details, such as an American flag patch on a lab coat which seems really odd. I'm not sure how those three repair shops in their video got involved either. Two of them seem to be owned by Asian immigrants, although the third shop seems to be owned by someone with an American accent.

I also saw something from a blog claiming that MaxxOil was used in NASCAR. They have various Facebook pages that mention NASCAR.

https://grippysgarage.com/2015/10/29/maxxoil/

Me thinks they are just paid actors, and those shops maybe friends of the owner over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back