Coolant for 2016 Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says. The brother's Jeep is in need of a top off. Color from the factory is pink-ish.

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Distilled water.

That freezes under 32*F.

Not when mixed with antifreeze. I thought you said it just needed topped off?

Distilled water.

That freezes under 32*F.

It does. I'd just like to know the proper coolant.

Distilled water.

That freezes under 32*F.

It does. I'd just like to know the proper coolant.

Mopar OAT. Similar to DexCool and G12.

MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) meeting the requirements of Material Standard MS-90032. sounds like dexcool to me.

Originally Posted by user52165
Does anyone bother to read the owners manual?

Didn't have it handy. My most humble apologies.

Google showed either HOAT or OAT so I figured I'd come here for the expert advice.

Your vehicle should use the 150,000 formula. Purplish in color in the bottle. Make sure you have the purple and not the 100,000 mile pink. They are not to be mixed together and looking at the coolant in the overflow bottle can be deceiving. The purple 150,000 mile coolant has been being used for Mopar stuff since about 2013. Be sure to verify.

Either use distilled water for a top up or buy the right stuff, OAT coolant. There is a TSB cautioning against mixing OAT and HOAT and the damage that can occur. I bought the full strength coolant on Ebay for under $25 shipped free to the house, I see they raised the price. Here's a link to the 50/50 mix, Mopar 50/50.

I'm sure someone will mention a universal coolant, or something else, imo there are certain things not worth gambling with. This is one of them.

I have a 2014 JKU. Here is the deal with the coolant, it's a mess.

Chrysler used HOAT coolant for many years, orange color. In 2013 at some point they switched to OAT coolant, which is also orange. To lessen confusion they literally dye the OAT purple but after you run the Jeep for a couple years, the dye weakens a lot and it looks orange again.

Now to add onto this, HOAT is Zerex G-05 and OAT is Zerex Dex-Cool. Seriously. You don't need to pay $30 a gallon at the dealer for the OAT stuff. If you look at the approvals on the Dex-Cool data sheet it even has the Chrysler OAT approval on there.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Chrysler used HOAT coolant for many years, orange color.

G-05 is Gold

Does the factory stuff use 2-Eha?
If so, go ahead and use Dexcool, it will be fine.

If not, either buy the genuine Mopar stuff or for example you could use Zerex G40 without a problem.
It has Silicates unlike the factory stuff but that is fine, and it's the same colour, and hasn't got 2-Eha, it uses Sebacate as the organic acid like the Majority of OAT coolants, while some like Dexcool also use 2-Eha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Chrysler used HOAT coolant for many years, orange color.

G-05 is Gold

Mopar HOAT is orange. Zerex G05 is gold.

Same coolants otherwise.

The correct/spec FCA Mopar AF for topic vehicle is Mopar OAT AF. Unlike DexCool, it is a NO 2eha OAT AF (see link). FCA made the switch from HOAT starting 2013. As for color/tint, a google search will show FCA OAT being red-ish with FF, however the replacement Mopar OAT is Purple in tint. G-05 HOAT in any form is the wrong AF for topic vehicle.

https://www.scribd.com/document/375...T-Antifreeze-for-Longer-Service-Interval

Zerex G40 (Silicated OAT) may/might work with a complete flush. However it is not the same as FCA OAT. FCA OAT is a no silicate OAT AF. Closest to FCA OAT here would be Peak Global Lifetime, non silicate, no 2eha OAT . That said, for queried mixing top off and/or under warranty I'd stick with FCA OAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back