Ford Mustang Inspired Electric SUV (375mi range)

Ford previously announced it will manufacture a Mustang-inspired SUV, which may or may not be named the Mach E. But when it was teasing the vehicle, it did what automakers seldom do: it underestimated.
We reported back in December of last year the electric SUV would get a range of under 500 kilometres, but according to Ford, that number will actually be closer to 650. Ford dished the details on its shadowy new creation from the brand's ‘Go Electric' experience in Amsterdam recently, where it revealed much of its new EV lineup, including the Ford Explorer PHEV that sadly won't be available in Canada. One caveat: according to Ford, the ‘all-electric performance SUV' is slated to arrive in 2020 with a 600-kilometre (375 miles) WLTP range.

Now, for those unfamiliar with the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure that was introduced in Europe last year, it's basically the latest standard meant to help measure the efficiency of all vehicles, whether they're powered by gas, diesel, hybrid energy or pure electricity. And although the rating system is undeniably superior to the one it replaced, it's still not perfect. When compared to the numbers put out by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, for example, the WLTP's ratings seem constantly generous. All this to say the Ford E-SUV's range may not be exactly 600 kilometres (375 Miles), but it should be close.

https://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/n...ectric-suv-will-have-600-kilometre-range

They're turning the Mustang into a SUV. I'm glad GM put the Camaro on hiatus rather than desecrating it with such nonsense.

"Mustang inspried"= We can't put Mustang badges on an SUV until we know it will sell.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
They're turning the Mustang into a SUV. I'm glad GM put the Camaro on hiatus rather than desecrating it with such nonsense.

"Mustang inspried"= We can't put Mustang badges on an SUV until we know it will sell.

I still don't think Ford's "All we sell are trucks, SUVs, and Mustangs" sales strategy is going to end well.

Originally Posted by MCompact

I still don't think Ford's "All we sell are trucks, SUVs, and Mustangs" sales strategy is going to end well.

Actually, yesterday you got a glimpse of what is to come. I doubt they will truly miss the low margin sedans that people are buying and has a shrinking pool of buyers. There will be other automakers to pull out of the traditional sedan market too, just give it time. It's a race to the bottom for sedans and profitability. The Escape/Kuga they revealed yesterday looks more like a slightly lifted hatchback cuv. It's not a traditional sedan but it's platform is. That is where the market is going. Sedan sales have been on a downward slope since 1990.

A 4 door electric Mustang SUV with a short bed to compete with the Jeep Gladiator? They'll sell a million and hit all the hot buttons!

Originally Posted by jcartwright99

Actually, yesterday you got a glimpse of what is to come. I doubt they will truly miss the low margin sedans that people are buying and has a shrinking pool of buyers. There will be other automakers to pull out of the traditional sedan market too, just give it time. It's a race to the bottom for sedans and profitability. The Escape/Kuga they revealed yesterday looks more like a slightly lifted hatchback cuv. It's not a traditional sedan but it's platform is. That is where the market is going. Sedan sales have been on a downward slope since 1990.
I think tastes will change before cars become obsolete. We've already seen high gas prices inflate the price of Geo Metros to ridiculous levels once.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

A 4 door electric Mustang SUV with a short bed to compete with the Jeep Gladiator? They'll sell a million and hit all the hot buttons!

Opportunistic marketing. I remember when Oldsmobile went through a period where they added "Cutlass" to all their nameplates because it was a hot seller at the time.
Now Oldsmobile doesn't exist at all.

Ford loves desecrating nameplates, it's kind of their thing.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

Ford loves desecrating nameplates, it's kind of their thing.

Mustang II King Cobra, anyone?

The Probe was very close to being a Mustang too until outrage. Ford has been itching to do this.
lol.gif

The Blue Oval boys will sell a bazillion of 'em.
I can't wait to see one. I believe they are using a big tablet for at least part of the dash.
BMW is also working on a SUV EV.

Last edited:
Looks like a great rip off of Tesla. Using the mustang brand and cutting straight to the wierd crossover hatchback sort of SUV body style that is all the rage. Excellent marketing. Tesla should have done the Model Y before the 3, change my mind.

Originally Posted by dareo
Looks like a great rip off of Tesla. Using the mustang brand and cutting straight to the wierd crossover hatchback sort of SUV body style that is all the rage. Excellent marketing. Tesla should have done the Model Y before the 3, change my mind.

Not sure I would call it a ripoff of Tesla.
Surely Tesla is the leader, far ahead of the pack; they sell almost 100K EVs each quarter.
Ford did what they thought would sell; that's what they are supposed to do.
All EVs will be compared to Tesla. Maybe even be the next "Tesla killer".

Personally, I like Tesla because it is futuristic, far more than just electric.
Ford took a different approach and reached back into their storied Mustang history.

Just my 2 cents.
I belive the more EVs that are available we the consumer are the winners.
I predict the EV market will find Model Y fantastic based on the Model 3 owner satisfaction which is off the charts.

Last edited:
https://electrek.co/2019/11/15/tesla-model-y-vs-ford-mustang-mach-e-specs-comparison/

Its as close to a dead match up to the Model Y as you could possibly do considering they were each designed ahead of time, separately, and in secret. Only Ford has a dealer network, is willing to discount off sticker, and still gets a full EV tax credit. Tesla has its cool factor and charging network. Interesting matchup to come!

...and the jury is in 25%+ less efficient than the Y.

Back