Sounds like it's hitting the fan at Google

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Good. No company should have the power they do over discourse.

I avoid them but others spin your search too … Probably not as much …

Their phones aren't going to reach the popularity of the iPhone, and some of their smaller apps just didn't make sense to keep around. I'd hardly say anything is "hitting the fan" though considering how big they are.

I agree with Jeepman. Given the problems that people with my worldview have had when employed at Google, I'm not going to shed any tears for them, but when understanding that everything they do is free for consumers (apart from selling chromebooks), it is inevitable that they stop spending their ad revenues on services that they just cant monetize. I was dissappointed back in the days of Windows XP when Google Desktop search was given the axe (years and years before this article was written), but given that they couldn't find a way to make money from it, it really didn't surprise me.

Google has been killing products for as long as they have been creating products and yet, none of them go missed for long.

Right now I'm missing Inbox, but the march of progress...

Stock is $1200 per share, building a 1.7M sq ft campus in NYC, they pretty much own Mt. View (Silicon Valley) along with my company, Symantec. Expanding in North San Jose.
Oh yeah, and then there is Google Village which will create more the 20K jobs and renovate the old Greyhound Station area of San Jose.

Google Village

Welcome to Silicon Valley; aka the land of opportunity.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Their phones aren't going to reach the popularity of the iPhone, and some of their smaller apps just didn't make sense to keep around. I'd hardly say anything is "hitting the fan" though considering how big they are.

Yes, not that many Pixels sell, but they are great phones. But Andriod phones sell far more than Iphones. Chromebooks overtook Macs years ago. All run Chrome OS. And growing; taking market share.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Stock is $1200 per share, building a 1.7M sq ft campus in NYC, they pretty much own Mt. View (Silicon Valley) along with my company, Symantec. Expanding in North San Jose.
Oh yeah, and then there is Google Village which will create more the 20K jobs and renovate the old Greyhound Station area of San Jose.

Google Village

Welcome to Silicon Valley; aka the land of opportunity.

I am really starting to regret not getting an IT degree. I got a degree in healthcare admin, not a bad field by any means but nowhere near the opportunity that the tech field has.

Last edited:

Yes, not that many Pixels sell, but they are great phones. But Andriod phones sell far more than Iphones. Chromebooks overtook Macs years ago. All run Chrome OS. And growing; taking market share.
They'll always be the lesser alternative to Apple products. You can't compete with Apple's hegemony on cool electronics for rich people. It doesn't matter how superior or similarly priced to the IPhone the latest flagship android phone is.

People buy Chromebooks because they are cheap, not because they prefer them to Apple computers.

"Yikes. Kotaku is totally justified to ask a question like this, but to have one of your new executives face questions of "When will your new product shut down?" must be embarrassing for Google

LOL. First thing I thought of when they announced Google Stadia. Another "startup" gaming console/streaming service that's bound to die.

Last edited:
Are these companies "tech"actually making money or is the income from people buying their stocks?

Yeah it has always been annoying that everything google is in a beta stage and may change or disappear at any time, though hopefully not gmail!

Last edited:

If you're counting hardware, Android has putzed around with it for yours. If you're counting worldwide Android installs-- that's 85% of the market and pegged to hold steady through the early twenties.

Originally Posted by CT8
Are these companies "tech"actually making money or is the income from people buying their stocks?

I misread your post. But the answer is both. Apple is the richest company in the world; they have tons in cash reserves.
The shareholders make $$ from the stock; the companies still have to operate and be profitable like any other company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington

They'll always be the lesser alternative to Apple products. You can't compete with Apple's hegemony on cool electronics for rich people. It doesn't matter how superior or similarly priced to the IPhone the latest flagship android phone is.

People buy Chromebooks because they are cheap, not because they prefer them to Apple computers.

I prefer Chromebooks.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by maxdustington

I prefer Chromebooks.

If you need a web surfing device and want a larger screen than what the biggest cell phone offers-a Chromebook is a perfect choice. It doesn't have the software issues of a regular laptop computer running a "Windows" system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8

Most of them aren't actually 'tech' companies, they're just selling ads and using the money to play with tech on the side.

I'd say it's largely malinvestment due to the artificially low interest rates over the last twenty years. Much of the interesting new tech work seems to be coming from China, while Silicon Valley is just trying to find more ways to sell ads from the Chinese companies that will likely dominate the tech market in twenty years.

Originally Posted by emg
Originally Posted by CT8

Most of them aren't actually 'tech' companies, they're just selling ads and using the money to play with tech on the side.

I'd say it's largely malinvestment due to the artificially low interest rates over the last twenty years. Much of the interesting new tech work seems to be coming from China, while Silicon Valley is just trying to find more ways to sell ads from the Chinese companies that will likely dominate the tech market in twenty years.

Actually no. The tech companies want a presence here due to the innovation and talent.
For example, the Ford Dearborn boys opened up an R&D center in Palo Alto for their self driving cars and just bought another start up here.
Samsung opened up a huge US Headquarters in North San Jose. Microsoft is building a huge new center in Mt. View.
It is true that the manufacturing has moved outta state and off shore (SEMI) but the core business want a Silicon Valley presence.
I have been wondering when it would stop, but there seems to be no end in sight.
Crazy. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back