What'd the pothole do to my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day, I was over in Iowa (just after the last of the thawing) and was unable to avoid a pothole. While I've hit my fair share of potholes, this was one of the bigger ones I've seen... I couldn't avoid it because it took up about 1/3 of the (narrow) lane and I couldn't change lanes. I looked at it after the fact and the thing was more like a crater. The Camry hit it, made an unhappy noise, the car shook, and I almost bit off my tongue. I actually thought I blew a tire but, fortunately, did not (fortunately I have 16 inch steelies). Since then, though, my brakes have been chirping intermittently. While I have noticed it at highway speeds with the radio off, it's most noticeable at parking-lot speeds and is quite loud. If I lightly ride the brakes the noise all but goes away. Can anyone shed some light on what might have happened? Thanks!

Not any help to you but I hit a pot hole 6 years ago at 15 mph that was so deep the grand total was 2,800 bucks . My insurance company paid for everything , not even a deductible . It was night and raining never even saw it .

It may have bent the shield.

My workmate's family lost 4 wheels this year in separate pothole incidents.

We had a Jeep Wrangler come in with aftermarket tires and wheels, both PS tires blown and damage both aftermarket rims.
$2000 repair just for the wheels and tires, not sure if suspension was damaged.

long-shot guess:

Historically I have seen several instances of a rock getting stuck at the top of the brake pad causing a squeaking sound.

Good luck.

I agree , very close inspection of the suspension on that side , front & back . Now .

Best thing is , you did not loose control .

I wish you all the best luck with this , :)

I'd jack it up and to have a basic assessment of things to start with: wheel spin and friction compared to other side and ball joint and tie rod laxity. After which, you'll have a better idea of whether you'd like to unbolt it to have a direct view of the rotors, shields, and pads/calipers to see exactly where it's coming from.

if there were lateral forces or the tire completely pinched (unlikely) there could be a wheel bearing thing here. inspection, spin the wheels, get it checked.

The other driver in my house hit a pothole that busted both front springs. The phone she was talking on ended up in the back seat.

Originally Posted by meep
if there were lateral forces or the tire completely pinched (unlikely) there could be a wheel bearing thing here. inspection, spin the wheels, get it checked.

My guess too - rotor moving laterally in reference to the caliper/pads. flip the caliper, check bearings for play or roughness.

I would be looking at the backside of the wheel, and tire. That is the most flexible part of even a steel wheel. There is no support, and it's like the open end of a 5 gallon bucket. I would guess you have at least one bent wheel, along with probably something else out of sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back