2019 Maxima rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Picked it up today with 437 miles on it. I have the whole family with me.
Fit 4 good sized pieces of luggage in it.

I really like the car, family does too. The 3.5 is really nice. The car is fully loaded.
Pretty responsive, nice brake pedal feel. I found the steering a little numb as compared to the Caprice or Malibu, but certainly
not bad at all and better than other current cars I have driven.
My kids and wife did complain about the room inside. It does seem small for the size the of the car.
I think it might be the center console in the front. It is huge. In the back the door pieces kind of stick out into the passenger compartment.
Having said that it is very comfortable, smooth and quiet. When you lay into it you can hear the 300hp 3.5 just enough to crack a smile.

I found the infotainment system easy to use. Similar to stuff I am used to in my GM cars. Took less than 2 minutes to figure out. I like that.
Gages were easy to read. Steering wheel is nice, but I don't like flat bottom steering wheels in anything. Not sure why. Just not my thing.

Comfortable but one compliant I have is I don't really like the bolstering in the front seat. I may get used to it as I will have some
seat time from now until Sunday.

Really good visibility. I really like how the car looks.
The drivetrain is solid and smooth, PLENTY of power. Really surprised I don't see more of these on the road. It really is a nice car and an excellent full size sedan.

Don't worry I am leaving them for you.
smile.gif
You know I will keep buying my GM stuff.
wink.gif
However I would seriously consider one if something happened to the Malibu. I really like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My thoughts echo yours exactly, I was VERY surprised when the wife had one last July.

Nice cars and I hate Nissans.

With the 3.5 having a good amount of power, and the CVT, to me it gave me the old feeling I used to get when driving a high stalled V8.

Originally Posted by gregk24
What? Your not going to complain about the CVT?

Kidding. Thanks for the review.

Eh I complain about every automatic. hahaha.
The only auto I remotely care for is the 4L80E in my truck because it is pretty bullet proof and tows my trailer without complaint. .
The CVT? It didn't feel bad to me. Like I said really surprised how much I like this car.

Redhat. Exactly was like my old stalled low 12 second LT1 car

Last edited:
I've always wanted a Maxima for a rental (current or previous version).
Heck, I'd even settle for an Altima, mainly for the seats. I hear they are amazing!

I'm sure its a nice driving car.... but it looks very bloated.

What happened to the good looks of the previous generation of this car?
frown.gif

Man I miss owning a Nissan!! BEST car I ever owned. First Z I find that suits my tastes is mine!

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by gregk24
What? Your not going to complain about the CVT?

Kidding. Thanks for the review.

Eh I complain about every automatic. hahaha.
The only auto I remotely care for is the 4L80E in my truck because it is pretty bullet proof and tows my trailer without complaint. .
The CVT? It didn't feel bad to me. Like I said really surprised how much I like this car.

Redhat. Exactly was like my old stalled low 12 second LT1 car

I'm with you on the 4L80E. The one in my 2006 Chevy Express 2500 work van has served me well. 300k+ hard miles on it and it just started slipping a little bit in overdrive. My 2012 transit connect with 130k on it is now in need of its 3rd transmission.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
How's the torque steer, if any?

I didnt really feel any. I also have had a bunch of 80s turbo Dodges and S/C 3800. So anything is better than those.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Are you in my neighborhood?

San Diego/Coronado until Sunday

I have no evidence to point to in support of this but I have always felt Nissan's were crap. I don't know why, honestly I don't. It's just always been a mindset I've had. They slot in lower than a Fiat-Chrysler automobile in the would-I-buy list and I would never buy an FCA product, maybe lease, but never purchase. Why do I feel this way?? I agree, it's a nice looking car!

Last edited:
The Maxima is a very nice car; I just don't like FWD in anything much larger than a Mini. And I don't like anything much over 175" long.
But that's just me- although I wouldn't turn down a widebody Challenger or GT350...
19.gif

Originally Posted by Throt
I have no evidence to point to in support of this but I have always felt Nissan's were crap. I don't know why, honestly I don't. It's just always been a mindset I've had.

You've been watching too many Scotty Kilmer vids!
lol.gif

Seriously though, I've never really liked Nissan products since the early-mid 80's Micra.
Not sure if the US got it, but I had a bad impression of those as a kid growing up in the 80's.
I didn't know anyone with one or heard any horror stories. They just seemed "junky" compared to other Japanese makes.

Before the Lexus I was seriously considering a previous gen Maxima. The CVT and FWD aspects were enough to keep me away.
I really liked the "blocky", squared-off design though.

Had some more seat time in the car today around San Diego/Coronado.
I think the CVT works fine. It has a manual shift option which works well.
I wouldn't use it. I generally don't in anything.
The adaptive cruise control works great! That is a nice feature.
Two things of note.
1. It is not any quieter than the Malibu or the Caprice. That surprised me.
2. The blind spot monitor is not located on the mirror. It Is inside the car the door near the mirror.
Other than that I still really like it. The seat has grown on me after I got it all adjusted.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Had some more seat time in the car today around San Diego/Coronado.
I think the CVT works fine. It has a manual shift option which works well.
I wouldn't use it. I generally don't in anything.
The adaptive cruise control works great! That is a nice feature.
Two things of note.
1. It is not any quieter than the Malibu or the Caprice. That surprised me.
2. The blind spot monitor is not located on the mirror. It Is inside the car the door near the mirror.
Other than that I still really like it. The seat has grown on me after I got it all adjusted.

It has been mentioned here that CVTs work much better with larger engines.

Having the blind spot indicator on the mirror vs on the door is a adjustment but the idea of having it closer to the driver actually saves extra movement. On my Mazda the BSM is in the mirror but also in the HUD. I restrained myself to check the HUD first then look in the mirror for confirmation. It saves me a bit of head movement especially in heavy traffic.

Adaptive cruise is a great advance. No more cancelling and resuming the cruise when traffic slows or when you come up on a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back