Shell Rotella T6 5w-30 SN plus rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello bitog,

I am looking to try some Rotella multi vehicle 5w-30 on my next oil change and while I was looking at shell products on the API website, I saw that there was a mention of SN PLUS, has anyone saw that certification on the bottle as well?

Screenshot_20190329-160122_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I would believe what is on the API site before what is on the bottle. However, I understand your concern before dumping it in the oill fill. Maybe a quick email to SOPUS customer service would validate this for all of us?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

I would believe what is on the API site before what is on the bottle. However, I understand your concern before dumping it in the oill fill. Maybe a quick email to SOPUS customer service would validate this for all of us?

Already did
smile.gif

No answer yet, but I want I wanted to see if anyone here would have more info.

I'm currently doing a run of Shell Gas Truck. I also realize this oil has got a lukewarm reception here on the forum.

Is there a reason you chose multi vehicle over gas truck?

Our local WM does not stock multi vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I'm currently doing a run of Shell Gas Truck. I also realize this oil has got a lukewarm reception here on the forum.

I wanted to try a non-gf5 oil as they seem to shear a lot in our engine. Do you intend to do a uoa? It will be interesting to compare if you do. The one thing I like more about the gas truck is that its dexos 1 gen 2.

Rotella's multi vehicle is easier for me to get than the gas truck in canada.

Originally Posted by dave1251
If the API lists it as SN+ certified then I reckon it's API SN+.

I didn't see the + on the bottle itself, it's why I'm asking. Also, I was wondering how accurate the API website is.

Last edited:
I wanted to try a non-gf5 oil as they seem to shear a lot in our engine. Do you intend to do a uoa? It will be interesting to compare if you do.

Yes, I would do a UOA and post the results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch
I didn't see the + on the bottle itself, it's why I'm asking. Also, I was wondering how accurate the API website is.

According to this VOA, it's indeed SN PLUS (Ca + Mg mixed detergent). You probably saw an old batch that wasn't allowed to be labeled SN PLUS, as the first SN PLUS license was issued circa May 2018. If you order online from Walmart to pick it up at a store, you will probably get a new batch with the SN PLUS label.

Lol at "the viscosity was a little for what we usually see from a 5W/30" comment by Blackstone -- they don't know that an HDEO xW-30 (except for FA-4) has to be near the thick end.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...626/shell-rotella-t6-multi-vehicle-5w-30

[Linked Image]

Not true. Some new members expressed strange emotions over the word "truck" on the label. Nonsense opinions.

The reality: Its a slightly-thicker oil than some other dexos1 choices, so good for towing etc. or where fuel dilution in mild amounts is expected. Shell claims extra anti-oxidant activity, which could mean they use newer technology to make the oil last. Good company behind it.

Multi-Vehicle could be even better for Direct Injection, as the diesel certs mean it could handle carbon soot best. It also has a higher HTHS for hot-weather heavy duty use, track usage, etc, over the Rotella Gas Truck dexos1 stuff. Either oil would work, yet the Multi does offer more margin for hot weather operation especially. GM vehicles should probably just use the dexos1 RGT per GM's requirements.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-ROTELLA-T6-5w30-Multi-Vehicle-Full-Synthetic-1-Gallon/515810764
when it's stocked at their warehouses, its available for pickup at a walmart in a few days. Not usually on the shelves though.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Not true. Some new members expressed strange emotions over the word "truck" on the label. Nonsense opinions.

The reality: Its a slightly-thicker oil than some other dexos1 choices, so good for towing etc. or where fuel dilution in mild amounts is expected. Shell claims extra anti-oxidant activity, which could mean they use newer technology to make the oil last. Good company behind it.

Multi-Vehicle could be even better for Direct Injection, as the diesel certs mean it could handle carbon soot best. It also has a higher HTHS for hot-weather heavy duty use, track usage, etc, over the Rotella Gas Truck dexos1 stuff. Either oil would work, yet the Multi does offer more margin for hot weather operation especially. GM vehicles should probably just use the dexos1 RGT per GM's requirements.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-ROTELLA-T6-5w30-Multi-Vehicle-Full-Synthetic-1-Gallon/515810764
when it's stocked at their warehouses, its available for pickup at a walmart in a few days. Not usually on the shelves though.

Just to be clear I'm not trying to dis the company or this new product. Just expressing a observation. I'm aware of Rotellas excellent reputation. That's why I'm trying it to compare with UOAS for M1 and Valvoline offerings.

Thank you for your input regarding multi vechical.

Yes, I'm aware of WM site to store shipping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dieselguy67
Emailed Shell about SN+

It is not.

I never got an answer back from them...

It's weird that the API site is incorrect.

Does Shell have a Rep on this site?

I just got my 5L jug this morning, it's written as SN not SN plus. BUT, it is also dated 11/02/2018, that would be in February of 2018 in Canada, so before the SN plus donut was official.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got the answer from Shell:

Hi jbutch,

This is in reference to your recent inquiry through our website:

"I saw on the API website that Shell Rotella T6 multi vehicle 5w-30 is SN PLUS certified, could you confirm that?"

This confirms that Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 meets API SN but not API SN Plus.
We have a new product that meets API SN Plus called Rotella Gas Truck Oil 5W-30.

Please visit the Rotella website for more info.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Let's try again.

Hello Brian,

Please disregard my last e-mail - our technology manager confirmed that Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5W-30 does in fact meet API SN Plus. They will work on getting that up on our website.

Best regards,

Aly Tuñgol
Shell Technical Information
1-800-237-8645 (Option 3, 1)

Hello Brian,

The product you can find instore already meets API SN Plus, but if you are still under warranty and your vehicle specifically calls for the Plus spec, you may want to wait til we've updated the labeling.

Best regards,

Aly Tuñgol

Originally Posted by dieselguy67
Let's try again.

Hello Brian,

Please disregard my last e-mail - our technology manager confirmed that Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5W-30 does in fact meet API SN Plus. They will work on getting that up on our website.

Best regards,

Aly Tuñgol
1-800-237-8645 (Option 3, 1)

I wonder if the influx of email from bitog asking that question prompted them to look deeper.

Thats good news as it makes it even more suitable for TGDI like mine that trashes the oil.

I also got an email back saying that it is certified SN+.

Hi jbutch,

Yes. That apparently is a typo in the TDS and we requested correction.

Also, I was able to verify that the Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5W-30 does meet API SN Plus (recently got certification).

Soon we will see an update on TDS and Rotella Website.

Thank you.

The typo that is mentioned is regarding "Dynamic Viscosity @-20 c as per ASTM D5293 is 6200 mPas" where it should say -30 c.

The SN Plus rating has to be on the jug, or else I'm thinking the store has old stock.
The best suitable for TGDI and lspi has both SN Plus and Dexos1 Gen2 on the jug label.

I'd echo Gokhan's sentiment. I don't think you'll find an E6 in North America that isn't big on the magnesium. In any event, I wouldn't worry a lot. I don't think I've yet seen an owner's manual that calls for an SN+ 5w-30 in isolation, without a GF-5 or a proprietary specification alongside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back