Pennzoils VS Castrol in 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol 0w40 calcium 1656
Pennzoil Platinum 0w40 calcium 2600
Is that enough of a reason to go with Castrol over Pennzoil in a GDI engine ?

Perhaps it's not the best practice to make a decision based on just one data point. It's the combination of additives that makes the oil.

High Calcium can be a problem with LSPI, but since you're not driving a turbo, the amount shouldn't be an issue - both have a good solid amount.

Both oils are very good.

I'll take Castrol over Pennzoil on any given day of the week, any weight, any time.
If someone gave me Pennzoil, I'd try to return it for more Castrol. I would go on but you get my point.

Originally Posted by vw7674
I'll take Castrol over Pennzoil on any given day of the week, any weight, any time.
If someone gave me Pennzoil, I'd try to return it for more Castrol. I would go on but you get my point.

Please enlighten us on the technical reasons for your statement?

Or are you just that one guy, back again?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Please enlighten us on the technical reasons for your statement?

Or are you just that one guy, back again?

I had consumption issues with a beater years ago & sampled a few oils, Pennzoil & Quaker State did not impress me.
Castrol always seems to stay in the crankcase so I started clinging to it. That's all.

I had consumption issues with a beater years ago & sampled a few oils, Pennzoil & Quaker State did not impress me.
Castrol always seems to stay in the crankcase so I started clinging to it. That's all.

Ahh yeah, that guy.

I remember now.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Perhaps it's not the best practice to make a decision based on just one data point. It's the combination of additives that makes the oil.

High Calcium can be a problem with LSPI, but since you're not driving a turbo, the amount shouldn't be an issue - both have a good solid amount.

Both oils are very good.

Sorry , yes it is a turbo

I'll take the other side of that, and go with Pennzoil.
wink.gif

Better oil: castrol by a hair? (Some pao)
Pennzoil is a better deal with current rebates
Mobil 1 0w-40 with rebate is best deal of the three

How about Pennzoil being mostly GTL not just some which is a true synthetic also? You consider a grp III with a little PAO a "better oil" than a Fischer-Tropsch derived full synthetic?

To be honest lspi doesn't seem to a issue with VAG vehicles , my main concern is valve deposits between the two .

Go with the Castrol (or whatever has the lowest calcium). If you don't, it will bother you and make you continually second guess your choice throughout the OCI. There's no need to subject yourself to that kind of stress, so just go with the Castrol.

Personally, I will never use Castrol again though. Last time I tried Castrol at an OCI, my grandmother ended up passing away within a few months. I've only got one grandmother left, and I ain't taking no chances, so give me anything BUT Castrol!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Last time I tried Castrol at an OCI, my grandmother ended up passing away within a few months. I've only got one grandmother left, and I ain't taking no chances, so give me anything BUT Castrol!

Interesting line of thought here. Come to think of it, the last time I used Castrol my dog got mange and her hair fell out. I'm with ya Nuke.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Go with the Castrol (or whatever has the lowest calcium). If you don't, it will bother you and make you continually second guess your choice throughout the OCI. There's no need to subject yourself to that kind of stress, so just go with the Castrol.

Personally, I will never use Castrol again though. Last time I tried Castrol at an OCI, my grandmother ended up passing away within a few months. I've only got one grandmother left, and I ain't taking no chances, so give me anything BUT Castrol!

I vote this for post of the year!

I use both Pennzoil and Castrol in my MB cars, they are good oils and you could flip a coin to decide, but Castrol Edge 0W-40 also has titanium as part of the additive pack. I used M1 in both cars and did not care for it, but objectively speaking, I doubt you could go wrong with any of the majors in this space.

I had a Ford truck with a 360 motor and it used a quart every 2k till I switched to GTX. Then it didn't use any between changes. That may have been what the previous owner used. My well pump quit though and my dog got hit by a car.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Kjmack
I got it off a VOA on this site .

How old is that VOA?

6/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back