Who’s got the oldest Briggs and Stratton Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 1954 Savage Arms self propelled reel mower with a 2 ish hp Briggs and Stratton engine. It will still start on the 3rd pull or sooner.

1963 Yardbird tiller with a 4hp Briggs, was my grandfathers. Gets used a couple of times a year.
1971 Milwaukee generator with a 7hp Briggs. Picked up at the dump. Runs great and holds frequency and voltage very well (transformer controlled).

I have Simplicity 616, 627, 727 which are from the late 60's to early 70's, the first 2 still have their original engines and still work great to this day, the 727 has been repowered at some point in it's life from a 7hp to 8hp with an engine that was made sometime in the early 80's which is what the numbers off the engine showed when I looked it up.

The 616 has been in the family since new and the 627 I bought used a few years ago and looked up the numbers and it's engine was from that era when the mower was made which leads me to believe that it is the original engine as well.

Got a 4 hp Briggs on my old ~1973 Bolens Mustang roto tiller. Still works but is getting tuckered out. It is not the oldest engine I have. The older ones are Tecumseh 12 HP(1972) and even an old Lausen 4 HP made around 1950. Still runs.

Last edited:
I have a Kmart green 1970 model push mower.3 hp Briggs. No safety anything. I have it for show at my shop. My customers see it and reminisce about the good old days.

We've got a 40-50yr/old Montgomery Ward's front tine rototiller in the family with a ~5hp Briggs on it. It was old when we bought it used in the 1980s. Still runs strong.

Originally Posted by Wheel
I've got a 1954 Savage Arms self propelled reel mower with a 2 ish hp Briggs and Stratton engine. It will still start on the 3rd pull or sooner.

When I was a kid, we would try and find old reel mowers with horz engines so we could take the engine off and use it in a mini bike.

Originally Posted by Donald

When I was a kid, we would try and find old reel mowers with horz engines so we could take the engine off and use it in a mini bike.

Oh heck yeah. Those, or old edger or tiller motors and you were golden. Anything you could fit a commet clutch on to.

I have a Montgomery ward - Gilson built snow thrower with a 7 hp briggs on it. I bought it from my father inlaw who bought it in 1966. I'm still using it. May have to use it later this week weather person talking a foot to a foot and a half of snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back