2008 Honda Accord Ex 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my old Accord that I bought brand new and sold to my BIL 3 years ago is up for sale. I know it was burning oil at the time about a quart or less every 1k. My BIL used it for going to work which he lives on base and works on base so a lot of short tripping. My wife wants it back. If I do get it back thoughts on oil for the consumption? Should I go up in weight maybe to 5w-30 or higher. Some of the forums say soaking the heads in MMO helps? I may drive it once a week to work 18 miles one way to bring it up to temp but she will be short tripping it also. What are your thoughts? 120k on it now 2.4L 4-cylinder and I am sure he probably hasn't done anything other than oil changes.

I experimented with several oils in mine. Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10W30 has been the best and that's what I'll stay with.

That engine calls for 0w20. If you are short tripping that is an even better reason to stick with 0w20. Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 is what I use in mine.

Another fellow Okie!

^Perhaps greg was looking at your sig? For '08 I thought 5W-20 was spec? Maybe I'm wrong.

Maxlife has always been good to me, or if you prefer synthetics, Maxlife Full Syn is excellent too. If it were mine, faced with a burn, I'd try 5W-30 in summer, 5W-20 in the winter. Didn't the 2.4Ls have some sort of ring issue/tsb/recall to blame for the burning?

Wife and I have a 2008 Honda CR-V with the 2.4L i-VTEC engine. Honda recommended 5w20 and that is what I have used since new. Oil consumption is 1/2 quart every 4,500-5,000 miles. Ours has seen Mobil 1 EP 5w20 except on 2 oil changes. Once I saw Honda ok'd the use of 0w20 in these engines, I tried PP 0w20 and oil consumption went up. I also tried Castrol Edge EP in 0w20 and oil consumption was the same as with M1. I always just tried to catch the M1 on sale or utilize the Mobil rebates.

Vehicle has 155k miles on it now and I have followed the maintenance minder since new. Maintenance minder lights up 15% at about 9,500 miles and I always change it within a few days of it coming on.

I have considered trying a high mileage oil or moving up to a 5w30 but have yet to do so. Got an oil change coming up in about 3k miles, so I may give it a shot.

Last edited:
I would run the 0w20 Mobil 1. I would try changing it very frequently and see if it stops or slows down the consumption. If it continues to burn move up to a 0w30 or 5w30. If that doesn't work go up to a 40. It's worth a try.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Another fellow Okie!

^Perhaps greg was looking at your sig? For '08 I thought 5W-20 was spec? Maybe I'm wrong.

Maxlife has always been good to me, or if you prefer synthetics, Maxlife Full Syn is excellent too. If it were mine, faced with a burn, I'd try 5W-30 in summer, 5W-20 in the winter. Didn't the 2.4Ls have some sort of ring issue/tsb/recall to blame for the burning?

Yes in the Accords at least had the ring issues. I believe re-sleeving them was a better bandaid but that's expensive and I would be outside the special extended warranty they gave out. 5w-20 was the spec'd oil for this car. I remembered I used PP for the last 2 or 3 yrs I had itand still had the consumption. Probably will be 5w-30 and then up to 10w-30. Thank you all for the replies.

Any opinions on the MMO?

Originally Posted by gregk24
That engine calls for 0w20. If you are short tripping that is an even better reason to stick with 0w20. Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 is what I use in mine.

Not exactly. The 2008 Accord was originally specced for 5w-20. In 2012 it was back specced for 0w-20. For the OP, I'd use a 5w-30 high mileage synthetic blend.

[Linked Image]

On my 06, but it's V6, I run nothing but M1 EP 5W-30 since birth. Not having any oil burning issues at 155K miles.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Another fellow Okie!

My error. Yes, the 8th gen called for 5w20 at first, then switched to 0w20 spec in 2011.

Here's an idea. Try the in-grade HM oil, and see if that quells the engine's thirst. Mobil-1 is available in two HM flavors, in both 20 wts ("vanilla" HM and EP-HM, 0w and 5w), so you've got options there. Other brands offer some similar products. If using a 20wt HM oil doesn't do the trick, then try stepping up to a 30wt. Of course, it's "bad science" to try mix variables at the same time, but I'd at least continue to investigate other possibilities (e.g. bad PCV valve, etc.) as sources for the consumption. Unless desperate for some reason, don't change a PCV while you're trying a different oil, as you won't be able to tell which change caused a different outcome. Good luck with it.

I run motul xcess 5/40 in mine, per euro manual for the same [censored] engine. Mines a 2012, consumes 1/2 qt every 5500 miles. Engine just hums

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007

I run motul xcess 5/40 in mine, per euro manual for the same [censored] engine. Mines a 2012, consumes 1/2 qt every 5500 miles. Engine just hums

Yep,0W20-15W40. I meet in the middle at 10W30 and will never go back to a W20.

Toss a can of 'engine restore' in it. Helps 'rebuild' the cylinder walls with small particles of soft metal. Worth a try.

Ive used 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 in mine. Synthetic, conventional, high mileage, etc and it still burns about 1 quart every 1k like clockwork. My friend has the same year/engine but with around 160k and his only burns about a quart every 5k.

I'm still kicking around the idea of running a change of Valvoline Restore in my Wife's Accord. I just have to swallow the $70/gallon price.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
I'm still kicking around the idea of running a change of Valvoline Restore in my Wife's Accord. I just have to swallow the $70/gallon price.

Wrap the Gallon Restore - put a ribbon & bow on it and give it to her for his next birthday. But please forward us a pic of her face, as she unwraps it.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ctechbob

Wrap the Gallon Restore - put a ribbon & bow on it and give it to her for his next birthday. But please forward us a pic of her face, as she unwraps it.

Lol, I prefer to stay married, and not go to the hospital to have a gallon jug extracted from me on my birthday (we share the same birthday, guess who gets the short end of that stick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back