Which 0w-40s Would You Choose ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has mentioned the $12 Mobil 1 Rebate that just kicked in yesterday? Cheaper than Amazon basics.

Also Amazon Basics has very few manufacturer approvals. Certainly not MB 229.5. which Castrol and Mobil both have.

Same price, Castrol. $12 rebate, Mobil.

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
Motul xcess 5/40. My engines run much smoother on this than the Castrol 0/40.

What did you use to measure/test that and how does that impact engine longevity?

No warranty concerns with using a 0w40 where a 5w40 is called for? BITOG wise, we know there's no difference, but try convincing a dealer's service writer that.

Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 should meet your specs. (Not sure if the XOM rebate can be applied to this.)

If viscosity is of no concern, use M1 0w40.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
No warranty concerns with using a 0w40 where a 5w40 is called for? BITOG wise, we know there's no difference, but try convincing a dealer's service writer that.

If you don't tell them, how will they know?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Only if they ask for receipts.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Only if they ask for receipts.

Receipts all say the right thing, of course.

But the mobil1 with rebate looks the most appealing. So that's what I would have got if I was the type to not follow the owners manual.

Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 should meet your specs. (Not sure if the XOM rebate can be applied to this.)

If viscosity is of no concern, use M1 0w40.

Usually that weight is required in European vehicles. They are not basing requirement on grade, but specification. That is what matters for warranty.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
The 10w-30 on sale at a better price and better availability.

Except that it's not a 0w40

I am running Rotella T6 5W40 in my 08 Subaru right now and love it. I have read for years where many Subie owners rave about this oil in the EJ25 turbo motor but have never tried it. I now know why and will run nothing else in it for as long as she stays alive (currently at 163,000 miles)

If your car is turbocharged, a 40WT oil will not hurt a thing and the only reason I'd even consider a 0W is if I was going to be starting it in extreme cold.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Motul xcess 5/40. My engines run much smoother on this than the Castrol 0/40.

What did you use to measure/test that and how does that impact engine longevity?

You can just tell that it runs smoother, I'm not the only one, see the reviews for yourself on Amazon. Personally in CA there is Zero need for a 0wt oil, no where in CA do you see temps under 0 degrees

I'm sending the 0/40 in for a UOA, then the Motul with the same mileage in for uoa

Personally in CA there is Zero need for a 0wt oil, no where in CA do you see temps under 0 degrees

Mammoth, Lake Tahoe can dip bellow 0F, but 5W-xx should be enough.

Just to toss it out there....
Amsoil SS 0W-40. If it has the same add-pack as other SS oils, it is loaded with 200+ moly and 300+ boron.
You don't need specific Euro specs, so this would work great...its designed as a 'North American' 0W-40.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I am running Rotella T6 5W40 in my 08 Subaru right now and love it. I have read for years where many Subie owners rave about this oil in the EJ25 turbo motor but have never tried it. I now know why and will run nothing else in it for as long as she stays alive (currently at 163,000 miles)

If your car is turbocharged, a 40WT oil will not hurt a thing and the only reason I'd even consider a 0W is if I was going to be starting it in extreme cold.

Not turbocharged, just NA. No oil consumption, but I wonder if a 40WT oil would increase it with the known ring issues on these engines.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Just to toss it out there....
Amsoil SS 0W-40. If it has the same add-pack as other SS oils, it is loaded with 200+ moly and 300+ boron.
You don't need specific Euro specs, so this would work great...its designed as a 'North American' 0W-40.

Interesting -- that does sound like a good oil. I don't know any Amsoil dealers so it can get quite costly.

Originally Posted by beanoil
No question for me.
Valvoline 0w40, currently on sale at NAPA for 4.99 a quart.
NAPA sale
There is link to the Valvoline spec sheet at the bottom that indicates 53.90% PAO.

thumbsup2.gif
That's a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back