Amsoil XL 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts?

IMG_1857.PNG

18.gif
because "The Debate" will start again.

But...it's a solid oil that, depending on usage/vehicle, can go 1 year or 12000 miles.

I have XL in my wife's 05 Av and she drives about 9000 miles per year so 1 year OCI is fine. When the time comes, going back to SS since my deal has it here rather than XL which he has to order and it takes about 3-4 weeks to get here.

Really not much of a debate. Both this 5W30 and the recent OA 0W30 both look robust as heck.
Mighty fine oils for SN Plus users.
Today I bought a couple five quart jugs of Mobil-1 EP, because of the $12 rebate on each jug. But it appears this is a better oil, despite costing 2.5X more (after rebate).

My opinion. Others here may say different. Thanks for both OAs bfleeman

The HTHS on the XL & OE line of oils is excellent combined with the 12,000 mile OCI rating it's a great oil for the price although hard to justify against shelf oils with rebates / sales in the US.

Terry has done some UOA's running this oil where it has produced some stellar results.

Last edited:
If money was no object, I'd run Red Line in non-GDIs and Amsoil in GDIs. No disrespect to others like Royal Purple, Motul, Ravenol, Schaeffers....etc. Just not familiar enough with those

I think I paid $26.68 a gallon with the preferred customer discount for the XL. I bought a case of it which is four gallons. Came to $106.70 before tax and shipping was free cuz it was over $100. I don't think that price is too bad considering one oil change per year

I'm surprised at how close the add-pack is on this to the SS line of oils - SS just has more moly and boron, but detergent-pack is basically the same.

Very strong oil, will easily do the 12k it is rated for.

Originally Posted by bfleeman
I think I paid $26.68 a gallon with the preferred customer discount for the XL. I bought a case of it which is four gallons. Came to $106.70 before tax and shipping was free cuz it was over $100. I don't think that price is too bad considering one oil change per year

deleted by 777.

Last edited:

Or $31.68 per gallon when you include the preferred customer cost - or whatever the added cost is when amortized over your yearly purchases.

Why do Amsoil proponents always forget to add this cost to their total?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Or $31.68 per gallon when you include the preferred customer cost - or whatever the added cost is when amortized over your yearly purchases.

The cost you reference is next to nothing. But I'll play along. That would be amoritized over an additional 2 gal of SS, 2 filters, and 3 oil test kits. And that cost depends on whether it's a $10 or $20 preferred customer account. Most people would probably spend just as much in gas going to the store picking up those items. If those pennies are the cause for worry, then I'd say oil choice is the least of there problems.

Why do proponents who purchase oil at the store always forget to add their time, gas and other expenses driving back and forth to the store?

Originally Posted by Toto

Why do proponents who purchase oil at the store always forget to add their time, gas and other expenses driving back and forth to the store?

Lol because for most it's likely much less than $31.

Originally Posted by addyguy
I'm surprised at how close the add-pack is on this to the SS line of oils - SS just has more moly and boron, but detergent-pack is basically the same.

The relatively low oxidation value compared to Signature Series indicates none to little ester in this oil and quite a bit in SS. The ashless part of the additive package is also likely quite different.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Originally Posted by Toto

Lol because for most it's likely much less than $31.

I just don't get why people care how much someone else spends or doesn't spend. I like amsoil, cost a bit more than most oils, some people love Supertech which can be had relatively cheap.

Looks almost identical to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

True, except for the cSt @100 difference of almost 1

At risk of starting said debate, why is that again?🤓

Originally Posted by JAG
Originally Posted by addyguy

The relatively low oxidation value compared to Signature Series indicates none to little ester in this oil and quite a bit in SS. The ashless part of the additive package is also likely quite different.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back