Which 0w-40s Would You Choose ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically, if I were to want to run a 0w-40 in my FB25 Subaru this oil change ... which, of course, I wouldn't because it's still under warranty - should I go with Mobil1 or Amazonbasics. Both are the same price. The owner's manual does say a 5w-40 can be used.

Castrol Edge 0w-40 used to be available at local Walmarts, but not any more. They only have Mobil1 0w-40. The Amazonbasics is $.45 cheaper ... price difference is null as far as I'm concerned.

If I wanted to, I could have either by Friday for the oil change. It will be run the full 6000 mile manufacturer recommended interval.

Originally Posted by wemay
Castrol Edge

Unfortunately that's not available locally for a good price. I'd have to spend $50+ to get it at Advance/Napa/Autozone

Originally Posted by Miller88
Castrol Edge

Unfortunately that's not available locally for a good price. I'd have to spend $50+ to get it at Advance/Napa/Autozone

Could you order it from Walmart?
Mobil1 is another fine choice.

Castrol Edge

Why not order 5 quart jugs online from Amazon or Walmart? 25 bucks for a 5 quart jug, and sometimes it goes on sale around 20 bucks per jug. I prefer Castrol over Mobil 0w40 personally, and have found that is the only way to reliably find it for a decent price.

Hypothetically, if I were to want to run a 0w-40 in my FB25 Subaru this oil change ... which, of course, I wouldn't because it's still under warranty - should I go with Mobil1 or Amazonbasics. Both are the same price. The owner's manual does say a 5w-40 can be used.

Castrol Edge 0w-40 used to be available at local Walmarts, but not any more. They only have Mobil1 0w-40. The Amazonbasics is $.45 cheaper ... price difference is null as far as I'm concerned.

If I wanted to, I could have either by Friday for the oil change. It will be run the full 6000 mile manufacturer recommended interval.

Not sure why yur Wal Mart is not carrying it, but you can order Castrol 0W40 easily online and it would be my preference over Mobil1 0W40 FS.

Amazon has Castrol 0w40 for the same price right now that my WalMart usually has it for. I choose to buy it on Amazon because WalMart never has it in stock, and it saves me $5 in fuel driving there.

Unless something is different in your owner's manual than mine, I think you're misreading the 5W-40 allowance.

My manual allows for 5W-40 conventional to be used as top-up, not for an entire oil change. I don't recall if this allowance is for all Foresters or just the turbo.

With all of that said, I doubt 0W-40 will hurt the engine. I would, however, start with a 0W-30 as a first step toward a heavier oil, not XW-40.

Finally, Subaru would be hard-pressed to find you at-fault for any oil-related failure, using a heavier oil, but it would prevent them from immediately starting an oil-consumption test, should that become necessary.

Are you doing this to mitigate some oil consumption, which the MT's are well know for?

the recommended dexos 20 + even a 10-30 synthetic runs thru my girlfriends 13 2.5 DI malibu but euro spec 5-40 synthetic is doing good. unless in a very cold climate 0W-xx oils are not needed as the lighter base oils used burn off sooner than a 5 or 10W-xx. choosing oil by your driving style + ambient temps as well as your engine's personality- user or not is smart IMO. don't forget the thinning that is common with todays DI engines, to me if i owned a newer vehicle it would get a 5-30 synthetic as a minimum warranty or not!!

Either the M1 FS or the Castrol versions of 0w40 will work well. I was able to get a few jugs of the M1 at less than 20 bucks each when they went on sale @walmart.com.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by gathermewool

My manual allows for 5W-40 conventional

Does such a thing exist?

haha! Exactly what the rest of us contemplate when discussing their logic.

Same price? Since this is BITOG, your best course of action is to order some of each, do VOAs and UOAs on each one, THEN pose your question again.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gathermewool

Are you doing this to mitigate some oil consumption, which the MT's are well know for?

Actually no consumption on mine.

Running 0w20 mine doesn't seem to drink a drop. I wouldn't say I'm exactly easy on the car either ... highway runs, towing small trailers and light off road. But 6MT Foresters have a weird exhaust resonance that seems to go away with heavier oil plus this engine just seems to get quieter with heavier oil.

Completely against what my Cherokee, F350 and old Focus were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back