AFE Pro Dry S for turbos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried and couldn't find much test data / reviews of using the AFE dry filter (not the 7-layer proguard version) for a turbocharged application in terms of wear/UOAs or turbo dusting. Any thoughts on these? Seeing how a lot of quality replacement paper filters are getting to be $25 or more depending on the application, the AFE might make sense but I can't find much data on these. I don't have an issue with just buying more paper filters, I'm just curious about the AFE.

IMO at stock power levels, aftermarket filters give you n more than 10 HP which is found at WOT. Very rarely if ever is the stock intake system as a whole starving the engine for air.

BMWTD: All of my turbo applications are tuned, but I understand your point as I have found the same through testing and analysis. But there is a pressure drop with a dirty filter and paper vs. aftermarket style filter. That pressure drop isn't much but on the dragstrip, any bit helps especially if the stock turbos are being pushed close to the choke line.

I used an aFe Pro Dry S on my previous 2.0 Ecoboost. I didn't have any issues, but do not have any data (UOAs) to back it up. I always do the "wipe test" on the inside of the intake tube -- with a white paper towel. Once again, it's not a scientific test, but may offer a little piece-of-mind. I've run aftermarket filters (or intakes) in every vehicle I've owned, and never had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back