Volkswagen DSG fluid change

I'm approaching the 40,000 mile service for my 2015 TDI Passat. I've done everything except the DSG already. I used the appropriate Castrol speced for my TDI added the Liqui Moly ceramic friction modifier. Did the fuel filter, and Liqui Moly diesel purge. OEM cold weather air filter, checked the pH of the coolant, and decided to keep it in, as it's 8.6 pH.

Please, if anyone had some insight into which DSG fluid is best for normal driving 50/50 city-highway. No track events, just want the best possible protection and smooth shifts. Thank you in advance

32.gif

How is this different than any other Air Filter?

Originally Posted by Elijah1
OEM cold weather air filter

My apologies.

I had a 2015 Passat TDI and changed the fluid myself. I just used the OEM fluid from the dealership. I also just used the drain/measure/replace method. I put new DSG fluid down the hole where the DSG filter is, not as messy as doing bottom fill.

Last edited:
The OE fluid is a semi-synthetic and is what's recommended by most. Special fill tool or top fill.....whatever floats your boat.

Blauparts have goo how to's as well as correct fluids for various VAG vehicles, discounts + free shipping at times as well.

I'm approaching the 40,000 mile service for my 2015 TDI Passat. I've done everything except the DSG already. I used the appropriate Castrol speced for my TDI added the Liqui Moly ceramic friction modifier. Did the fuel filter, and Liqui Moly diesel purge. OEM cold weather air filter, checked the pH of the coolant, and decided to keep it in, as it's 8.6 pH.
Please, if anyone had some insight into which DSG fluid is best for normal driving 50/50 city-highway. No track events, just want the best possible protection and smooth shifts. Thank you in advance

Just saw a program by ZF transmission where they recommend much more frequent fluid exchanges for this type of tranny, like every 30K miles. If it were mine I'd do a FULL exchange by machine at the dealer.

Originally Posted by Pelican

Just saw a program by ZF transmission where they recommend much more frequent fluid exchanges for this type of tranny, like every 30K miles. If it were mine I'd do a FULL exchange by machine at the dealer.

No torque converter, electric clutches, minimal hydraulic circuit. Does the dealer actually do machine fluid changes on these non ZF, DSG transmissions?

Originally Posted by wemay
32.gif

My apologies.

32.gif

My apologies.

It has a fuzzy pre-filter that's supposed to help keep you from ingesting snow into your intake.

Ah, ok thanks. Never knew something like that existed.

You didn't know snow existed?
lol.gif

I'd use Amsoil's DCT fluid. If it's anything like their other ATF's it should be excellent.
I've used the other ATF's in various applications and nothing but long lasting and beautiful smooth shifting.

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic DCT Fluid is designed to protect high-tech dual-clutch transmissions during the most intense, high-heat operating conditions. It provides the fast, smooth shifts drivers expect.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/100-percent-synthetic-dct-fluid/

Performance applications it has been tested to: VW/Audi - G 052 182, G 052 529, TL 521 82
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3431.pdf

Any of the approved offerings will work fine for the 40k interval, these transmissions are actually pretty tough from what Ive seen. We had one woman who moved near us from Canada and was doing lots of miles back and forth, she has a 14 GLI with 165k and no history of dsg service! Either the Liqui or Pentosin FFL2 is whats coming up for me.

Last edited:
Ah, ok thanks. Never knew something like that existed.

You didn't know snow existed?
lol.gif

Touche'
lol.gif

Pentosin is the factory fill , that's what they claim anyway . If it we're false I'm sure VW would shut them up from saying it . But that also doesn't mean it's the best fluid either .

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
OEM fluid, OEM filter.

+1

I own 3 VW's with DSG's and spend much time on the VW boards. The overwhelming wisdom is to use the OE fluid, whether Pentosin supplies it or not probably changes depending on low bid. I am a big Red line/Ravenol fanboy but won't use them in this application.

OEM fluid and filter. Do not joke around that!
Ceramic friction modifier? Stop doing that! Do not add anything to oil as it can "kill" your DPF and they will not warrant it if they find that in oil!

So glad my last VW DSG was a dry clutch, hence no fluid change requirements.

Originally Posted by atikovi

So glad my last VW DSG was a dry clutch, hence no fluid change requirements.

What VW DSG does not require fluid change? What VW was that?

Back