Who’s got the oldest Briggs and Stratton Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1975 model that is on my front tine tiller that I use every year to till my garden.

Last month, I sold my 2000 model MTD 42" cut riding mower with the original 14 horse single cylinder I/C motor on it, no smoke and still ran like a top. Only sold it because I bought a Wright Stander mower.

With minimal care these engines seem to last decades in non commercial use.

Last edited:
I own an old Pincor generator built in 1979 that has a 10 hp Briggs and Stratton on it. Other than replacing the spark plug, foam air filter and rebuilding the carburetor, it has been a good engine.

My yardman rear discharge push mower I got in 1991 or 1992. Poor thing gets an oil change every 3 years - maybe.

So that's 27. But it doesn't have over 100 hours on it. Small to med-small lawn; only mow 3 or 4 times a year and only twice last couple years as Ive gone away from fertilizing and amending.

I changed the plug once about 7 years ago to a champion ez start, it but it ran worse so i went back to the factory original. No need for new plugs on low hours ODPE ever. Plug should EASILY last life of the tool for the average homeowner. Unless its a commercial saw or mower. Same thing on my snow blower.. Factory plug like new after 25+ years an that's on the raucous SnowKing Tecumseh.
On the Briggs, I Do wash and oil the green-blue foam air cleaner every 2 years. Never drain the gas. I sure it wont run this year. Death by E10 garbage.

Last edited:
I don't have any OLD Briggs engines, but I do have my riding mower that I have been using every year since 1972, that has a 6 Hp Tecumseh engine. Replaced the points and condenser once, cleaned carb. once and the air filter (foam type Once, and a few spark plugs. Probably has somewhere over 2000 hours on it. Only uses a little oil.

I'll have to check to be sure, but I have a snowblower that was given to me. Its from the 70s. 5hp Briggs, actually its kinda of weak, but runs and doesnt use very much oil at all. Drinks gas likes its .25 cents a gallon though...

I have a 2 stroke snowmobile from 1971 that runs good still. Single cylinder 250ish cc.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have no Briggs and Stratton engine. I use a horse to pull my manual mower.

Well, how old is your horse?

I have a 79 briggs 11 aluminum bore that was on a Dixon zero turn mower doing about 3 acres from 1980 to 2011. Mower was beyond repair but saved the engine for parts. I did take off the shroud every 2 years to clean the chaff and dirt. It was just beginning to burn oil, needed some added every 4 hours. Ran on 10W40 it's entire life. Got about 75 to 100 hours a year depending on rain. 31 years, probably about 2500 hours Carb shaft was so worn it no longer idled worth a crap. Original plug, it always ran good and if it ain't broke. One starter one fuel lines and filter. Many blades, many deck bearings one seat, one reman transmission. Zero turn mowers work the engine much harder than tractor style mowers and showed it little mercy. I would probably still be using it if Husky had not bought Dixon and discontinued transmission parts I needed.

Still use grandpa's old' David Bradley Roto Spader Garden Tiller' from the 1950's with the briggs on it requiring a rope with knot on the end to start it !

That's almost 70 years old !

I had a 3.5hp from 1969 that was on a tru-value push mower that ran perfect until the deck rotted away and I gave it to a guy who had another deck and I assume its still cutting.

Originally Posted by saginawmale50
I had a 3.5hp from 1969 that was on a tru-value push mower that ran perfect until the deck rotted away and I gave it to a guy who had another deck and I assume its still cutting.

Those old Briggs were the best small engines around. You could neglect and work the heck out of them and they still kept going. Much better than todays version.

Originally Posted by FowVay
I have a 1975 model that is on my front tine tiller that I use every year to till my garden.

I have my grandpa's old front tine tiller too, which is somewhere in that age range. Gets about 3-4 hard hours every spring and then back to the shed.

The Briggs on my Troy-Bilt Pony dates back to 1985. Picked it up directly from the factory in Troy, NY before they sold out to MTD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back