OMG HELP!! New Powerstroke 6.7 oil recommendation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess I should have come here first. My old 6.4PSD was amazing on the old formulation of the Delo400LE but then that went bye bye and so did the truck. I traded it in yesterday for a nice new shiny and new car smelling 2019 King Ranch Super Duty with the 6.7 Powerstroke. So where is the first stop ? BITOG to see what lubricants are the best performing for my engine and what do I find but jaw dropping panic as I can't find a good solid recommendation with my limited search skills. I did locate the "Approved List" but that doesn't really tell me what performs the best in real world scenarios. Let me start a little with what the truck will see as far as use but before I do let me say "I know I didn't need a diesel and I said no more diesels due strictly to maintenance costs and that I don't need one.". I did it anyway for two reasons, one gas trucks are very hard to find in the higher end trucks without special ordering and second is that the diesels retain value better. OK now that all that is out of the way. The truck will mainly see highway driving, very little stop and go, light towing occasionally (+/- 6,500# or so). I am a complete anal fanatic in terms of PM and do UOA on everything I own for piece of mind. I do not do extended use and change regularly at 5,000 miles for my diesel.

So without regard for basic oil costs what is the best real world performing oil for my new 6.7 powerstroke ? I do my own services so I know they are done correctly so my only concern is availability. I will do UOA with every change. I did find where phosphorous should be in the 1,000-1,200 ppm range(from basic searching here).

2019 KR Super Duty.jpg

Well I run either a T6 5W40 or a Delo 5W40 synthetic year round. Check for the Ford spec on each container as there could be some old containers that were CK-4 but did not meet the Ford spec.

Amazon has some oil deals on T6.

You will take close to 4 gallons of oil. I have a bypass filter and run to about 17K on one oil change and do a UOA. Shows fine.

Keep a spare fuel filter set (there two parts to it) around. They need to be changed pretty often also.

It appears from the supplied website that 30 weight is not going to cut the mustard. That leaves the cold weather characteristics as being a deciding factor. With the modern formulations you could run the Ford approved CK-4 in a 0w40, or if you choose you can tailor the oil to the lowest temp you will see. Since you're in Houston ( I lived there for three years a long time ago) you could easily go with the 15w40 and if you were worried about the Blue Northers, you could switch to a 5w40 for the winter but even that would be overkill. The trick is to get an oil that meets those new Ford specs.

Last edited:
Still under warranty, your best bet is the Motorcraft oil in 10W30 flavor as suggested. If I had the cash coming out of my wazoo as you apparently do to buy a fully loaded $70+k diesel truck when it isn't even needed, I'd do everything I could to make sure it maintained its warranty and was taken care of. MC oils are approved, widely available at any Walmart and cheap enough to change every 5k as you plan to do.

Define best performing oil? oil is oil in the real world senarios with the proper ratings.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It appears from the supplied website that 30 weight is not going to cut the mustard. That leaves the cold weather characteristics as being a deciding factor. With the modern formulations you could run the Ford approved CK-4 in a 0w40, or if you choose you can tailor the oil to the lowest temp you will see. Since you're in Houston ( I lived there for three years a long time ago) you could easily go with the 15w40 and if you were worried about the Blue Northers, you could switch to a 5w40 for the winter but even that would be overkill. The trick is to get an oil that meets those new Ford specs.

Sounds like the safe bet is the Motorcraft 15w40. I guess I will get a jug and do a VOA as I can't locate one here unless its a result of my poor search skills.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Still under warranty, your best bet is the Motorcraft oil in 10W30 flavor as suggested. If I had the cash coming out of my wazoo as you apparently do to buy a fully loaded $70+k diesel truck when it isn't even needed, I'd do everything I could to make sure it maintained its warranty and was taken care of. MC oils are approved, widely available at any Walmart and cheap enough to change every 5k as you plan to do.

What does needed have to do with anything?

You should have waited for the F150 diesel. If you're only going to tow 6500 pounds occasionally, you don't need a Super Duty. But it's a good truck. I rented an F250 for a month last year doing my RV delivery gig, and really put it to work. It had 168 miles on it when I picked it up, and 10,700 miles when I turned it in. Half those miles were towing, and I did runs to CT, ME, WV, northern ON, NY, VT, and VA. It ran flawlessly the whole time. Fuel economy was not good for the first couple of runs, making 8 mpg towing and 16 mpg running free. But it got better later, making 10 mpg towing, and 18 running free. Overall fuel economy for the month was ~13 mpg. Fuel economy really took a big hit every time it went into trap regen mode. I put 7.5 gallons of DEF in it for the month, which I didn't think was bad, considering the work I was doing with it.

It didn't start signaling for an oil change until ~9000 miles, so I think your plan to do 5000 mile oil changes is perhaps too conservative. I would just let the truck tell me when to change the oil. Maybe do the first oil change early, but trust the OLM after that. As for what oil to use, I would buy the Motorcraft oil that meets Ford's spec for the 6.7 engine. That way, you're covered if you get into a warranty snit.

I know you're not going to want to hear this but nobody knows what the "best performing oil" is. Theoretically, in your case, the "best" would be whatever grade/spec is recommended by Ford.

These two shots are from your owners manual. Folks are right that for normal service you just need 10w30 but since you are a " complete anal fanatic " as are 85% of all the Bitoggers on this forum you should use the "Severe Service" recommendations I have posted from the Severe Service section of your manual.

03AF9853-85A4-48BE-A173-4EDD2CE8D0AA.jpeg

94FB7B1C-3070-471A-B264-50FC578935BB.jpeg

Last edited:
What does the dealer use?
Nice truck, I do hope you work it harder than towing 6500 occasionally.
You'll just be in a constant loop of soot build up and regen, and eventually become tired of the fuel mileage and fuel dilution in your UOA.
There is no best oil for the 6.7, but there are many really good ones.
In Texas, you won't have freezing starts and you aren't going to work the thing according to your opening statement.
If mine, with that driving pattern, I'd be looking at a 10w30 and seriously consider a delete and tune after warranty is out if you don't have emissions inspections. DSTM, but the 6.7 is one of the engines that is seriously choked, and Ford uses diesel injection on the exhaust stroke for regen VS Cummins that installed an injector in the exhaust stream.. Dropping the DPF, deleting the EGR and getting rid of the regen cycle gets you an extra 3 MPG and can produce another 100HP easily.
My 2016 is happy on a syn blend 15w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by beanoil
Dropping the DPF, deleting the EGR and getting rid of the regen cycle gets you an extra 3 MPG and can produce another 100HP easily.

Ahhh, that fresh Houston air! Let your kids breathe it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by beanoil
Dropping the DPF, deleting the EGR and getting rid of the regen cycle gets you an extra 3 MPG and can produce another 100HP easily.

Ahhh, that fresh Houston air! Let your kids breathe it!

I deleted my 6.4 at 18K on the clock and never seen any fuel/oil dilution after that. Seriously the truck was in mint condition until I seen a drop of coolant and got nervous. It was just a coolant hose at the back of the horizontal EGR cooler after pressure testing but my go to diesel guy said to get rid of it asap as it could be a ticking bomb. He got me all nervous. I was going to wait on the 7.3 gas but I never want to buy anything that is a 1st year production so that nixed that and then the 2020 6.7 is getting a significant redesign on the fuel side with even higher (36k psi) injection pressures and a vvt so that made me nervous too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back