That's something that you don't see everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday night was time for myself (well and shopping of course for the wife and kids)....

Talking to the ex-pats, with tiny residences, people shop...and eat out....

20190328_173622.jpg

20190328_174328.jpg

20190328_174501.jpg

20190328_181048.jpg

Last edited:
So back to the War of the worlds.

The motel had a little Italian place with a balcony area (reclaimed from the carpark at some stage, but genuinely nice)...so sat down with a peperoni woodfired pizza, overn baked cauliflower, a glass of Asahi, and a Cab Sav...to watch the lights....$480 HK, about $100 Oz at this week's exchange rate.

Wife and kids set me up with snapchat for comms, personal phone was $2.75/min to talk, so snapchat worked good, could talk for an hour on the hotel wi-fi.

However, I was advised that it was poor form to only include pics of things in snaps...so they made me do at least one selfie.

20190328_182201.jpg

20190328_182830.jpg

20190328_183058.jpg

20190328_192314.jpg

20190328_200311.jpg

20190328_194608.jpg

20190328_191434 rot 8.jpg

Friday was a batttle...woke up with a stomach issue, and had a full day of bussing and site walks, and then the flight.

Blech...wim hoffed on the bus (whether that did anything or not), but was recovered, albeit a bit flat mid afternoon.

HK airport is masssive....25 minute walk to our gate (70), or down to the airport subway and catch a train every two minutes, which takes about 5 mintes to get to the platforms....there was a sign that had "gates 400-500 this way", which may well have just been a gag for us foreigners.

Soon as I fired up my phone on hitting Hong Kong, got a text to say my credit card had been blocked due to irregular overseas activity (I bought chemist stuff at Sydney airport, on the international side of customs (surface wipes and had wash, as there was a measles outbreak at HK airport that I was notified of while traversing security)) - standing on the train arguing with some guy in India that I'd notified them two weeks ago wasn't fun.

Great, albeit rushed few days....now have to save up (a lot) and take the fam.

Yes, very different to anywhere I've been.

Motels have smoking and non smoking rooms, however, using the same laundry, the smoke ends up in ALL the sheets...the room, as I walked in smelled like my Childhood at my grandmother's smoke and napthalene, not overly strong, but very present when you first walk in.

Lying in bed doing breathing exercises, the smoke in the sheets was VERY evident.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Friday was a batttle...woke up with a stomach issue, and had a full day of bussing and site walks, and then the flight.

Blech...wim hoffed on the bus (whether that did anything or not), but was recovered, albeit a bit flat mid afternoon.

HK airport is masssive....25 minute walk to our gate (70), or down to the airport subway and catch a train every two minutes, which takes about 5 mintes to get to the platforms....there was a sign that had "gates 400-500 this way", which may well have just been a gag for us foreigners.

Soon as I fired up my phone on hitting Hong Kong, got a text to say my credit card had been blocked due to irregular overseas activity (I bought chemist stuff at Sydney airport, on the international side of customs (surface wipes and had wash, as there was a measles outbreak at HK airport that I was notified of while traversing security)) - standing on the train arguing with some guy in India that I'd notified them two weeks ago wasn't fun.

Great, albeit rushed few days....now have to save up (a lot) and take the fam.

Thanks for the pics.
Cauliflower needs careful prep and cooking.
Had to look up Wim Hof.

I can eat a half a raw cauliflower any day, so really would have to have messed that up for it to be a problem..

Didn't wake up crook...felt great. Went down for breakfast, fine...got back to room to pack up my stuff then the liquids started flowing and sweating like a pig for a couple hours.

That Dolce & Cabanna store looks very empty!

I like how they think adding Batman to the windows will spur excitement and increase sales.

I can eat a half a raw cauliflower any day, so really would have to have messed that up for it to be a problem..

Didn't wake up crook...felt great. Went down for breakfast, fine...got back to room to pack up my stuff then the liquids started flowing and sweating like a pig for a couple hours.

What did you have for breakfast?

And great pics BTW!

Made 4 trips to HK when i was in the NAVY, beautiful city, loved the night life in kowloon, our ship would anchor outside the bay and all kinds of boats would shuttle us in and out, did you ever make it to Stanley Market, great place for shopping.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

And great pics BTW!

Bacon, Eggs, Sausage, Beans and Toast...pretty standard.

However on reflection, I asked for poached eggs each day I stayed there, and after they fapped around for 15 minutes I gave up (having to point at the picture of what the eggs looked like on their menu should have told me they had no idea.

Day 1 just took their pre-boiled ones. Day three opted for fried sunny side up which had the whites not fully congealed...again, no problem in my neck of the woods, but maybe not there...

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

And great pics BTW!

Bacon, Eggs, Sausage, Beans and Toast...pretty standard.

However on reflection, I asked for poached eggs each day I stayed there, and after they fapped around for 15 minutes I gave up (having to point at the picture of what the eggs looked like on their menu should have told me they had no idea.

Day 1 just took their pre-boiled ones. Day three opted for fried sunny side up which had the whites not fully congealed...again, no problem in my neck of the woods, but maybe not there...

Yeah, that can be all it takes as you found out unfortunately.

The Flightaware app thread jogged my memory...

On the Hong Kong Flight I worked out exactly where a bunch of flights over my house are headed...looked out the window at exactly the right time (seatbelt sign wasn't off at that point...oops)

First pic is Wallerawang Power Station, and the second two Mount Piper.

20190326_091833.jpg

20190326_091932.jpg

20190326_091841.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back