Products made that seem invincible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some electronics that were my dad's from the mid 60s that still work perfectly like brand new. They're all built like a tank.

Realistic stereo receiver
Aiwa transister radio
Juliete reel to reel tape deck

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
My beer fridge in the basement is a 1955 Kelvinator. Beer is still cold.......mmmmm ....beeeeerr

My parents have a Philco refrigerator they got a year before I was born(1957). It is still running in their basement, has never been serviced. It is also runs quieter than any modern unit.

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
My beer fridge in the basement is a 1955 Kelvinator. Beer is still cold.......mmmmm ....beeeeerr

My parents have a Philco refrigerator they got a year before I was born(1957). It is still running in their basement, has never been serviced. It is also runs quieter than any modern unit.

For curiosity's sake, it would be interested to know how much electricity that thing uses...

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Inspecktor

For curiosity's sake, it would be interested to know how much electricity that thing uses...

We have a `48 Kelvinator in the barn/workshop that came with house 51 years ago. Keeps the beer cold and uses very little electricity. We unplug it 1st of Nov. and will stock it with Sam Adams next week. The gold Omega Seamaster I bought in `66 when I got discharged from the Army runs fine and will go to my son.

Snap-on MT2500 scan tool, I've seen them get ran over, Rained on, Dropped, Kicked & so on.....Still kick'in!

Old Wilton Vice's, Not the new ones that still cost a fortune & the base breaks in half with the sight of a 5# sledge.

Old Grey floor jacks & Trans jacks, I have a Grey trans jack that's 40 years old & works better than ANY Floor trans jack offered today.

Old Ammco & Rotary vehicle lifts/racks along with Ammco brake lathes.

Huth exhaust tubing benders, 50+ year old machines still going today!

Bridgeport Milling machines.

USA made Milwaukee Sawzall.....I have a early 80's one I cannot kill no matter how hard I try.

My Dad had a Sears Coldspot deep freeze that he bought sometime around the time I was born (63) and sometime in the 80's the thermostat went on the fritz. One of my uncles wired around it so it just ran continuously. If you put a carton of ice cream in it you had to take it out a couple of hours before you wanted it so it could soften enough it wouldn't bend your spoon.

He made me empty and unplug it when he went into the Veterans Home in 2008. It was still running strong. One day I plan to go get it and put it in my basement and see if it will fire up again.

Craftsman table saw. 1976 when I bought it. Takes an 8" blade, which is getting hard to find. Just changed out the original blade with a 7 1/4" blade. I thought it was beginning to fail me but with the new blade it rips through a 2x4 like butter. That original blade cut everything including plastic and hardee plank on top of countless 2x4s, plywood etc. Ripped a lot of 2x4s, 1x4s etc.
Next up is my 1980 Schauer battery charger. Still works and even the box it came in still exists - tough cardboard back in the day.
And on the Zippo lighters; I just love the clink they make when opened or closed.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
A couple Swiss made stainless steel pots (forgot the brand)

My Seagate 7200.7 HDD, made in 2003 and still going strong

Amazing I have had numerous Seagates drop dead right out of the box, or shortly thereafter. I pretty much stick with Western Digital drives these days.

My grandmother had a Kelvinator deep freezer manufactured in 1938 that was still in operation in 2005. I believe that a collector asked to purchase it from a relative that bought her house from the estate. It was very large, and I recall that every time I opened it over the years, it had 6 inches of ice on the inside surfaces.

Tellus (Nilfisk) vacuum cleaners. Our one is over 40 years old, have replaced one hose (various toddlers walking on it) and the plug connector at the machine. Totally bullet proof.

My wife and I bought a set of Royal Prestige cookware (a West Bend company) in 1990, and it looks as good now as it did then. The only thing that ever needs replacement are the lid whistles and the handles, which are lifetime free replacement items. Best investment we've ever made...

My dad's air compressor he inherited with a shop that he purchased in the late 1970's that was there since the late 1960's. He had it until a few years ago when he sold it because it was taking up too much room in his home workshop and he didn't need one that big. It was running fine still, all we ever did to it was change the oil and belts and it ran for hours and hours every day over decades.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Dodge Slant 6.

I seized one up...ran it out of oil...

I have a one-piece touch-tone telephone handset called a GTE Solitone. It must be at least 35 years old. It has an on-off switch instead of a hang-up button. It must also be rare because so far I cannot find an image of it that I can post a link to. I won't give it up. It still sounds better than any phone I have used before or since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back