2016 Buick Verano base CPO

A1O

Hey all I said I would do a review and log of maintenance and repairs on this vehicle. So at 16000 miles she runs good and there are no problems.The vehicle has heated seats power locks and windows. Leatherette/cloth seats. Buck's 7 inch intellilink radio system with 7 speakers. No nav on this one. The trunk is big and the vehicle is very quiet going down the road at 70 mph. I just reset the avg mpg counter want to 500 or so miles on it to determine fuel mileage. Also the ride is nice on the 17 inch alloy wheels. Not flutie like buicks of the past very euro like.

15538841170418899689735195554329.jpg

1553884184553876614006400138204.jpg

Shares a platform (Delta II) with the '15 Cruze, and you can see the resemblance. Buick put in bigger engines to help differentiate.
[Linked Image]

Yes it is the delta II platform the funny thing is that I drove a 2015 Cruze ltz and new Cruze and they were both louder and not as refined as the verano. The 2.4 ltr has plenty of power but coming from a v-8 vic it's a big change

I have a secret desire to buy a Verano with the 2.0L I4 turbo and 6-speed manual. 250 HP in the Cruze-sized platform would make quite a respectable pocket rocket. They made a few of these cars, but few people noticed. It was sort of a revival of the Buick Grand National, and was probably just as fast.

Originally Posted by A1O
Yes it is the delta II platform the funny thing is that I drove a 2015 Cruze ltz and new Cruze and they were both louder and not as refined as the verano. The 2.4 ltr has plenty of power but coming from a v-8 vic it's a big change
The difference in Curb Weights tells the story. A '15 Cruze is 200 lbs lighter. Of that, probably 50 lbs is in the engine. That means Buick loaded 150 lbs of sound deadening on the Verano, so it ought to be quieter. Same thing happened on my '18 Equinox vs. an '18 Buick Envision, same vehicle except for about 150 lbs of sound deadening material packed all over the place. The Equinox is louder at speed for sure.

Originally Posted by A1O
More photos

Ah! Dark blue over cream -- very elegant. Is this a Turbo model? I've never driven a Verano, but sat in several at the dealer, and they were as solid and vault-like as a Buick should be.

If it's not the Turbo, you may find yourself shifting the manumatic transmission to get some more oomph. Once you're up to speed, the 2.4L engine has plenty of power to let you zoom easily from 40 to 60 or higher. On the other hand, your Verano is lighter than my Regal was, so you may have more zoom-zoom and even better fuel mileage.

It should serve you well.

All these sedans look alike. I have a hard time finding my car in the grocery store lot
smile.gif

here"s a VW passat

And good luck with the Buick. My first was a 1965 Electra 225 Convertible with the 401 Nailhead and Carter AFB. great car!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Sapphire blue over titanium according to the sticker🤠and yes it's the 2.4 ltr sidi motor. Its punchy but not terribly fast just amazes me how quiet the car is and just solid. And yes most small sedan do look the same probably why everyone is SUV 's and trucks. This vehicle stickered for 25630 3 years ago. I got it for roughly 1/2 its sticker price. With 16,000 miles on it

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
The difference in Curb Weights tells the story. A '15 Cruze is 200 lbs lighter. Of that, probably 50 lbs is in the engine. That means Buick loaded 150 lbs of sound deadening on the Verano, so it ought to be quieter.

Ugh, no. It does not mean what you have concluded.
Can you provide some sort of justifiable basis for your comments?

Like actual specs or something...
cheers3.gif

I could not find anything online about that but it would not surprise me. The 15 Cruze had hard plastic everywhere and the doors had a hollow feel to them. You shut the door on the verano and it's a solid thud. There are more soft touch points on the car than the Cruze. Plus I dont know this as fact but I would think a triple laminated windshield and side windows would add the weight to the verano

Originally Posted by A1O
Sapphire blue over titanium according to the sticker🤠and yes it's the 2.4 ltr sidi motor. Its punchy but not terribly fast just amazes me how quiet the car is and just solid. And yes most small sedan do look the same probably why everyone is SUV 's and trucks. This vehicle stickered for 25630 3 years ago. I got it for roughly 1/2 its sticker price. With 16,000 miles on it

Solidity is the hallmark of Buick, in my experience anyway. The Park Avenue rode much like my late '86 MB 420SEL, and the Regal handled the nasty streets here quite well, given that it had 18" wheels and fairly low-profile tires. The "chud" as the doors shut . . . that's confidence-inspiring.

If GM/Buick had marketed the Verano Turbo right, they could have had a steady seller. Instead what we got was goofy TV ads with "I don't see a Buick." They needed to play up its performance and its solidity instead of sticking an aging sports figure in one and having him natter on about connectivity and wi-fi.

I had only one or two semi-major issues with the Regal and its engine in five years. The seat heater element went out and was fixed under warranty, and there was another engine control or fuel-system issue that I can't recall the name of (I can look it up if you like), but the dealer diagnosed it quickly and charged me fairly. And mine had begun to use oil in the last two years despite regular oil changes and maintenance. Possibly something to do with the PCV valve, which is not an ordinary item that you can pop off and replace. Don't know if that is common to the 2.4L engine. You'll want to keep an eye on it.

In any case: Enjoy the beast!

My wife has had her 2012 Verano since 5/17. When we bought it, there was around 23k on the clock. Now, at 58k. No repairs as of yet. 2.4 gdi is picky on oil. Mine didn't like QSUD, used 1.5qt in 3k. I've been running Supertech 5w30 synthetic and change it out around 5-6k. Hers has the 18 inch wheels and it rides and handles good.

Her commute is 60 miles a day, mostly highway and she averages between 25-28 mpg. Overall it is a solid car.

JasonC that's good to know. I plan on running Mobil 1 0-30 afe and either a fram ultra filter or the factory a/c delco.

I've run M1 0w30 AFE and it did fine. I use Fram Ultra and change them every two oil changes.

Originally Posted by A1O
JasonC that's good to know. I plan on running Mobil 1 0-30 afe and either a fram ultra filter or the factory a/c delco.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A1O
I could not find anything online about that but it would not surprise me. The 15 Cruze had hard plastic everywhere and the doors had a hollow feel to them. You shut the door on the verano and it's a solid thud. There are more soft touch points on the car than the Cruze. Plus I dont know this as fact but I would think a triple laminated windshield and side windows would add the weight to the verano

The curb weights of a 2015 Delta II Cruze and a 2016 Delta II Verano are easily found on the internet.
Yes, there is about 200 lbs difference, and most of that goes into sound deadening of all types. GM does this I've noticed in my own 2018 Equinox compared to the 2018 Buck Envision CUV, same platform but the Buick is loaded with more sound absorbing materials.

Nice car, I do like them. Nice to see a GM vehicle that is not just a badge clone of another.

Watch for oil consumption, those 2.4's seem to be having issues with burning oil and wearing out engines.

Thank you. I read the tsb on oil consumption today and will be keeping an eye on it. Every fill up the oil gets checked. Also in the tsb it mention to use a 5w30 synthetic blend that is dexos 1 spec.

The TSB below doesn't seem to apply to 2016 2.4L GM engines, although there is some history of reported trouble with the engines over the years.

A1O, you said GM recommends a synthetic-blend dexos1 5w30? There aren't that many blends. Most are full synthetic, but they do exist.
You must have a different TSB than the one below, since I don't see GM insisting the owner find a syn blend oil.
GM usually says to just use any dexos1 5w30 around, so its puzzling how they didn't want full-syns for this.
21.gif

Originally Posted by BurrWinder

#13-06-01-003H: Excessive Oil Consumption - Perform Oil Consumption Test and/or Install Piston and Piston Ring Kit - (Feb 9, 2016)
Subject: Excessive Oil Consumption � Perform Oil Consumption Test and/or Install Piston and Piston Ring Kit

Models: 2010-2013 Buick LaCrosse
2011-2013 Buick Regal
2012-2013 Buick Verano
2010-2013 Chevrolet Equinox
2012-2013 Chevrolet Captiva, Orlando (Canada Only)
2010-2013 GMC Terrain
Equipped with 2.4L Engine (RPOs LAF, LEA)

Condition
Some customers may comment on excessive oil consumption and/or that they have to add oil between oil changes.

Correction
For this condition, technicians should perform an oil consumption test by following the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011. Before starting the oil consumption test, verify the ECM has latest TIS2web calibrations to adjust the engine oil life monitor to a maximum of 7,500 miles (12,070 km) � Refer to the latest version of Customer Satisfaction Bulletin #12312.

Inspect for any obvious oil leaks that may explain the oil consumption concern and repair as necessary.

Important: When checking the oil level with the oil dipstick design shown below, please note that the oil volume per notch is not linear due to the shape of the block. The upper notches (relative to the top of the handle) equal 0.24 quart (0.227 L) between each notch while the lower notches only equal 0.14 quart (0.132 L) between each notch. As a result, no oil will appear on the dipstick if it is low on oil by approximately 1.25 quarts (1.18 L) or more. When determining the oil consumption rate, the oil volume added to return it to the starting location is the total amount of oil consumed. The consumption rate must be documented on a repair order.

Notice: Do not add too much oil. An overfill can lead to burn off of the excess oil. Advise the customer to wait until the oil is below the cross-hatched area at the tip of the dipstick before adding oil.

Object ID: 3339530Click here for detailed picture of the image.

If the oil consumption test indicates that the rate of consumption is greater than 1 quart (0.946 L) of oil every 2,000 miles (3,200 km), note the oil consumption rate, the date that the ECM was reprogrammed and any repairs/diagnosis that you have performed.

The repair is to replace the pistons and rings. In some cases the bore surface may not have a uniform look to the finish (zebra stripes) as shown below. As a result, some technicians may question whether the engine should be repaired or replaced. After careful evaluation, GM Powertrain has determined that the new pistons and rings will perform correctly in bores that have this appearance so engine replacement should not be necessary. The cylinder bores do not need any machine or honing work performed on them. Refer to the picture below for acceptable surface finishes.

21.gif

Last edited:
Back