Delo 400XSP 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanging out with the mice behind a fridge.😁
Howdy i am new on this forum although i have been reading it for several years. I am a lubrication and mantenance nut (just ask my wife...€) so i have always liked this site.

Anyway i just wanted to share my latest find in the oil aisle.

I have ben using this oil for several months in a fleet of 2 forklifts (1 diesel 1 lpg) 3 golf carts 1 utility cart and a Honda power washer. I have been really impressed. I tried it really carefuly because some of those motors called for 10w30 and i approach thicker oils with caution but they all seem to like it. The one that stood out the most was the lpg forklift which is a 4.3 chevy vortec that was going through oil about 1qt a week and now after a few oci's it uses 1qt between changes and goes much longer between changes too. This oil runs $29 at orileys here but i feel it has been worth it.
I really need to talk the owner into doing some UOA,s

Also does anyone here have a VOA of this oil? If so i would love to see it.

20190401_125916.jpg

Originally Posted by CT8
People are so brainwashed about "thicker" oils.

In what way?

That they offer better protection at the expense of fuel economy?

People worry that the next grade up is too thick to fit in the "nooks and crannies " of the engine or some other reason.

girlfriend's oil thirsty 13 malibu 2.5 DI cut consumption a lot with 5-40 euro spec synthetic oil, use what works IMO. without a doubt lighter oils give a little more mpgs but many like myself that keep vehicles longer more protection is more important. oil analysis will not show wear from too thin oils + a good example is engine oils-the fine print you tube by savage geese. an extreme example but they use an extremely good RedLine 0-20 + bearing wear is evident from physical examination. lots of stop-starts are harder on bearings with weaker thinner oil films, many cars today have this untechnology + some can't easily be disabled.

When the oil is too thick it wont flow well enough causing most of the oil to go to bypass. Some of the motors i maintain do a lot of cold running at high rpm. Specifically the vortec gets cold started and ran full throttle quite often. (It is a 4.3 v6 in a something like 8000lb forklift) but the reason i decided on the 5w40 is the lpg burns much hotter than gas so i thought the higher viscosity would help ring seal and oil consumption. Also since i had no catalyst to worry about i wanted a diesel rated oil for the higher anti wear additives otherwise I would have used 0w40 or 0w30. It seemed to work well. I use M1 0w40 in my own chevy.

Originally Posted by Zahndkile
When the oil is too thick it wont flow well enough causing most of the oil to go to bypass. Some of the motors i maintain do a lot of cold running at high rpm. Specifically the vortec gets cold started and ran full throttle quite often. (It is a 4.3 v6 in a something like 8000lb forklift) but the reason i decided on the 5w40 is the lpg burns much hotter than gas so i thought the higher viscosity would help ring seal and oil consumption. Also since i had no catalyst to worry about i wanted a diesel rated oil for the higher anti wear additives otherwise I would have used 0w40 or 0w30. It seemed to work well. I use M1 0w40 in my own chevy.

I worked at a forklift dealer for 23 years LPG is easy on engines and is dry so the wear from fuel wash down is minimized over a liquid fuel. Lpg engines out last gasoline engines . What are the forklift engines governed at 2300rpm? 5W oil pumps down to approximately -30*f..Remove a valve cover and watch the oil flow on a cold engine running 5W-40 oil.

Howdy i am new on this forum although i have been reading it for several years. I am a lubrication and mantenance nut (just ask my wife...€) so i have always liked this site.

I have ben using this oil for several months in a fleet of 2 forklifts (1 diesel 1 lpg) 3 golf carts 1 utility cart and a Honda power washer. I have been really impressed. I tried it really carefuly because some of those motors called for 10w30 and i approach thicker oils with caution but they all seem to like it. The one that stood out the most was the lpg forklift which is a 4.3 chevy vortec that was going through oil about 1qt a week and now after a few oci's it uses 1qt between changes and goes much longer between changes too. This oil runs $29 at orileys here but i feel it has been worth it.

$18.76/gal at walmart.

I think this is your VOA
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4596313/Delo_5w40_Syn_CJ-4_vs_CK-4_VOA

Zhandkile, welcome to the site (sort of, since you've lurked here for a while) ...

I don't want to bash you right off the bat, but I have to question some of your statements, such as this referring to the engines in your applications ... " ...but they all seem to like it." You discerned this how? Did you ask the engines? Did you run some UOAs with the correct fluids and then with the new lube for contrast? Just how do you judge if an engine "likes" the lube? Was there a seance?

And I think you're wrong here ... "...but the reason i decided on the 5w40 is the lpg burns much hotter than gas". LPG has less energy per pound than does gasoline. Generally it goes like this for energy density of common fuels:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/energy-content-d_868.html

Originally Posted by dnewton3
And I think you're wrong here ... "...but the reason i decided on the 5w40 is the lpg burns much hotter than gas". LPG has less energy per pound than does gasoline. Generally it goes like this for energy density of common fuels:

Now that is intereresting. I said that based on something i had read. Which is apearing to be wrong. Thank you for pointing that out. I am corrected.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Zhandkile, welcome to the site (sort of, since you've lurked here for a while) ...

I don't want to bash you right off the bat, but I have to question some of your statements, such as this referring to the engines in your applications ... " ...but they all seem to like it." You discerned this how? Did you ask the engines? Did you run some UOAs with the correct fluids and then with the new lube for contrast? Just how do you judge if an engine "likes" the lube? Was there a seance?

I am sorry for posting that about the motors liking it. I see what you mean. That really does not belong here.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

$18.76/gal at walmart.

I think this is your VOA
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4596313/Delo_5w40_Syn_CJ-4_vs_CK-4_VOA

Thank you. I didnt realize that was the same oil. I am sorta disappointed that it has no molly.
What is youall's opinion on the lack of molly?

Delo is good oil as with all the large producers. I personally won't use it now that it's SN rated. I like my diesel oils to have 1000 ppm of ZDDP additives. The SN spec limits them to 800 ppm max. My duramax currently has Schaeffer's OTR 10w30 CK rated (no SN) oil in the sump which also has a healthy dose of moly.

That being said, since your running this oil in gas engines, it should work fine but what oil does the manual say to use and if it's not 5w40, why are you switching from the recommended viscosity?

Originally Posted by BoiseRob
Delo is good oil as with all the large producers. I personally won't use it now that it's SN rated. I like my diesel oils to have 1000 ppm of ZDDP additives. The SN spec limits them to 800 ppm max. My duramax currently has Schaeffer's OTR 10w30 CK rated (no SN) oil in the sump which also has a healthy dose of moly.

That being said, since your running this oil in gas engines, it should work fine but what oil does the manual say to use and if it's not 5w40, why are you switching from the recommended viscosity?

About the viscosity. To be honest i dont know what some of these motors call for. The honda gx240 power washer calls for 10w30 or 5w30 to the best of my knowledge. So it is a bit thicker than called for. I belive the atv, golf carts and 4 wheeler call for a xw40 the diesel is a big 4 cylinder perkins and i can only guess what it calls for. I have no manuals for anything and everything is out of waranty.

Could youall recomend a good oil or 3 for this fleet.
They have 1 eagle picher with a 4 cylinder perkins diesel (around year 2000) on its 2nd engine because of running out of oil (the reason i got the contract)
1 hyster lpg lift truck with a chevy vortec v6 this one has a problem with condensation or posibly antifreeze in the oil ( i really need to convince them to do a uoa to find out for shure)
1 honda gx270 doing power washer duty always set to full throttle i belive it calls for xw30 grade
2 club car golf carts with kawasaki engines that never get up to operaying temp in the cool weather ( i generaly change the oil when it turns milky)
1 EZ-GO with a robin 292cc 2 cylinder that is near 20 years old
1 yamaha grizzly 450 auto 4 wheeler calls for 20w40 or 10w30
1 kawasaki mule 3010 model year 2007
There is also a polaris ranger crew 800 efi year 2012 that i use the polaris 5w50 oil it drinks and blackens lighter weights 3 times as fast

Any help would be appreciated. I switched most of them from the orileys 10w30 that they were using when i took over maintenance i thought i saw positive results but that could have just been because of cleaning out the sludge from rarely changing oil.
Sadly uoa's are not in the budget
Also we are in Oklahoma so no serious cold but they are run all year around mostly a few minutes at a time with cooling time in between.

Last edited:

The XSP has about 800ppm of zinc and phosphorus, which is the same as SN oils, while an Euro 0w-40 will have about 900-1100 ppm of zinc and phosphorus.

Originally Posted by zorobabel

The XSP has about 800ppm of zinc and phosphorus, which is the same as SN oils, while an Euro 0w-40 will have about 900-1100 ppm of zinc and phosphorus.

That is interesting. Does M1 0w-40 European formula have molly also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back