Increased oil capacity = lower pil temps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Sad thing is, Ram actually did have chrome grilles too restrictive for effective cooling.
lol.gif

Ya, a lot of owners who paid more for the Laramie are changing out their gaudy chrome grills for the less restrictive black grills of the lower models (ie: Tradesman).

If you're seeing those temperatures hauling a travel trailer, I'm not sure increasing your oil capacity from 10.5 to 12 quarts will solve your truck's issue.

Originally Posted by ofelas
If you're seeing those temperatures hauling a travel trailer, I'm not sure increasing your oil capacity from 10.5 to 12 quarts will solve your truck's issue.

I don't really think that my truck has an issue. All of these 3.0L's run hot. I just thought that if an easy $100 bolt-on "upgrade" would help then I would go for it.

I did buy the pan and will change ot out next OCI. I'll take before amd after reads of the pans surface temperature and record the oil temps. I jave a very predictable commute that I can use for comparison. (This would all be for fun and I realize that it is non-scientific)

Increased capacity will do nothing for ultimate temperature. It will give it greater reserve to resist it at best.

Consider an auxiliary air/liquid oil cooler for when the warranty is done. HDEO can take the heat. Don't worry for now.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Sad thing is, Ram actually did have chrome grilles too restrictive for effective cooling.
lol.gif

Ya, a lot of owners who paid more for the Laramie are changing out their gaudy chrome grills for the less restrictive black grills of the lower models (ie: Tradesman).

I've been thinking about replacing the "slats" in my OEM grilles with black billet stainless honeycomb inserts. Gonna have to do something with them anyway. They've both been hit by road debris enough times that a few of them are shaking loose. Stainless ought to take a hit better than plastic.

The oil has gotten as hot as 260°. I keep the rpms at 3k or less while climbing.

That's not excessively hot for oil temperature. 3000 rpm for 5-10 minutes just sounds like a good workout for the engine to me.
The extra oil capacity doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. You might not see any significant difference in real-world driving, but it may help in the long term. Maybe you'll less oxidation if you're doing UOA's.

Just remember, the engine in the crankcase will be hotter than the oil temperature reading from the sensor. I have done some measurements in the 6.0L diesel, the oil pan oil temperature can easily be 50 degrees hotter than the EOT sensor reading. Maybe even higher at localized locations within the engine.

Do you know where the oil temp sensor is on this particular truck/engine? Is it located in the sump or up higher on the engine somewhere?

I closely monitor oil temps due to owning a 6.0 PSD as well and our oil temp sensor is up top by the oil filter which is somewhat a false reading, as Bismic said the oil in the pan (16 quarts in this engine) is usually much hotter.

I'd be sweatin bullets if I saw oil temps of 260* in my 6.0, thats all I can say! We start worrying around 245*
smile.gif

The 3.0L ecodiesel sensor is at the oil cooler/filter housing. I know these engines run pretty hot, but the norm is up to 220 I believe, maybe up to 240 in a short duration climb when towing. 260 sounds too high IMO.

You might want to at least verify that your temperature sensor is reading close to ambient temperature after a good 12 hour sit without running.

How much oil do you normally lose (say per oil change) through your crankcase ventilation system (how much drop in oil level is typical for you)?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bismic1

How much oil do you normally lose (say per oil change) through your crankcase ventilation system (how much drop in oil level is typical for you)?

Not enough to measure or top off. It does vent some oil though because when I took off the intercooler hot piping it had a thin coating of oil inside.

I'd be checking the seal on that turbo, and blow out the oil drain tube while you're at it.

Not enough to measure or top off. It does vent some oil though because when I took off the intercooler hot piping it had a thin coating of oil inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back