Schaeffer's 741 - Who makes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
patriot.gif
While researching a high quality synthetic 75W-90 gear lube that meets the GM specification for their 2500/3500HD series trucks with the Eaton G-80 locker rear differential I looked into Schaeffer's 741. (I refuse to pay what GM wants for their lube which is made by Texaco but only sold to GM). Schaeffer products have a strong reputation for making some of the best lubricants and greases around.

What I found, confirmed by Schaeffer's, is that their 741 is one of three products they DON'T make, they just repackage it as a conveinence to their customers (very common practice in the automotive industry). Reason given - to meet the Eaton 750,000 (or it might be 1 million) mile extended warranty certification it takes an extensive testing procedure which only one manufactuer does. Thus all (or at least most) gear lube meeting the Eaton extended warranty specifications comes from one source.

I was told that source is "Cogness" (sp) but I can't find that name or anything close to it in an internet search. I must have misunderstoond the name. Does anyone have any information about this company or a comment on the "Repackaged" Schaeffer 741 product??

My research indicates that the Schaeffer 741, even though it is "repackaged" is an exceptional product and far superior to Mobil 1, Castrol and Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90 products which DO NOT meet the Eaton extended warranty requirements. Comments?
cheers.gif

I was told that the only products Schaeffer didn't make were the tire seal and the discontinued grease-in-a-can.

Maybe they buy the pre-approved additive package for the 741 gear oil (common practice) and blend it themselves with the base oil? Note that 740 and 742 are similar products.

Ken

My "she who has to be obeyed" and I visited the Schaeffer's plant while in ST. Louis about two years ago (while on business there, just visited since Bob made the suggestion, as I have no business ties with the Schaeffer's company) and I too was told that that they Blend everything they sell except for the tire seal and some other specialty products they cannot make. They are a bunch of friendly people and very open to visitors.

I would not be afraid to use #741 for any Eaton axle.

Some Skinny on Cognis:
Cognis is specialty chemical company that has a synlubes division:

http://www.cognis.com/framescout.html?/FunctionalProducts/Home.html

It is not unusual for an entity to send requirements to another company for a mix of additives to blend with their PAO's.

In one case, for example, a Chicago company might blend an oil for retail to many outlets and provide different labeling for each outlet. That same company would purchase specific additives from another company, and from an entirely different company, purchase specialty chemicals.

That Chicago company might send it's blended barrels of oils to a bottler to have the oil bottled and different labels applied.

The point being that many companies and entities might be involved in that bottle of oil you would see at a Dollar General Store or even on the shelves of WallyWorld. Tis the nature of this industry.

[ April 09, 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shark Bait:

I could use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF but I contimue to be told that Schaeffer's 741 is better, especially in the Allison 1000 transmissions.

Schaeffer's #741 is completely wrong for an Allison transmission. You need Dexron ATF. If you could get it, Schaeffer #204S would be my choice, but Mobil 1 would be excellent. You might wait until later this year when Dexron-III(H) reaches the shelves...it is a tougher spec than the current Dexron-III(G). Bigger Allisons do very well with Schaeffer #239SA, but not the pickup truck tranny.

Schaeffer #741 is what you want in your differential. Don't use Mobil 1 gear oil unless Mobil tells you that it is OK for that specification. Perhaps other Eaton Approved synthetic 75W-90 is good for your GM differential, but check with the oil maker first. It would be really handy if you could take your own empty gallon jug to a truck repair shop and buy a gallon of synthetic 75W-90.

Ken

patriot.gif
Ken2
Good thoughts but I asked the folks at Schaeffer,s at different times, both the head chemist and head of marketing, and they both said that they buy the Cogness (sp) Eaton approved product in bulk and just repackage it without adding anythng to it. They do it as a service to Schaeffer customers.

Since Schaeffers is a little difficult for me to get and the smallest quanity 741 is sold in is a 5 gal pail or a 12 X 1qt case I am trying to find who and what Cogness is and who else repackages this product. If I can find this out it might be easier for me to get and in smaller quantities.

I could use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF but I contimue to be told that Schaeffer's 741 is better, especially in the Allison 1000 transmissions.

Any Ideas on how to get this info? Maybe MolaKule might know.
cheers.gif

pat.gif
Ken2

I'am a little embaressed. After I posted the response above concerning information about "Cognis" I realized I had used the wrong Schaffer number (741 instead of 204S) when addressing the Allison. I mixed two thoughts - differentials and automatic transmissions. I guess I was still a sleep. Thanks for the catch.

I know 741 is just for gear applications such as differentials and certain manual transmissions and not automatic transmissions. I would hate to think what would happen to the Allison if you tried to use 741 in it. I have a pail of 204S for my Allison, it takes about 4 to 41/2 gallons to flush and refil when the deep Allison pan is used.

Since Schaeffer 204S is a synthetic blend I am wondering how it comparies to Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF which is advertised to be 100% synthetic. I think I am correct in saying that just because a product is 100% synthetic that does not automatically make it better than a quality synthetic blend. Agree?

Concerning ATF - any thoughts on the relative ranking of Schaeffer's 204S, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and Allison (Castrol) TranSynd for use in the Allison 1000??

Back to differential lubes. Thanks to MolaKule for info and the web link to Cognis. Now I need to find out which Cognis product Schaeffer's repackages as 741 and what other brands are the same Cognis product. May try and call Cognis Monday.

Thanks again for catching my mistake in saying I could use 741 in an Allison automatic.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back