Moog vs Mevotech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I need to put new upper control arms and lower ball joints on my 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd 5.3. What's better moog problem solver or Mevotech ttx. How do Mevotech supreme parts compare to moog problem solver? Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you all.

I've had nothing but issues with Moog Problem solver ball joints and sway bar stuff, which lasts just a few months. Only Mevotech stuff I've bought was a pair of sway bar bushings and it was an instant improvement over Moog. They were stamped Ramcoa so not sure if that means all Mevotech stuff is good or what.

Used Moog endlinks on my Eibach swaybar.Had for 150,000 miles no issues using Synpower grease. They were way thicker(almost 2mm) and suggested with my suspension setup. As tight and stiff as its become I am glad they have held. I grease q other oci or prn whichever comes first. Would buy again on my tuners recommended advice.

Cant comment on control arms but my little bit of opinion is this: Have used Moog tie rod ends for nearly 100,000km on my TB. I greased them yearly but a few years ago have started twice yearly. They are still about as tight as they were the day they were put on.

I had bought some Moog blue rear sway bar bushings on the TB and they were also stamped Ramcoa, US made.

Rock Auto has the actual OE parts. ACDelco GM Original Equipment
smile.gif

Proforged isn't bad, either

10 years ago Moog without a doubt. Today Moog really isnt the same as it was. Mevotech TTX are really good aftermarket parts, very high quality. Mevotech Supreme is near OEM level. That being said , you can probably get OEM for near the same price as high quality aftermarket. Nothing really will perform as well and fit as well as OEM parts.

Link to them so we can see the pics. In general, Moog > Mevotech if it's the Problem Solver line instead of their budget line.

TTX Mevotech is just a waste of money, is the same as their higher tier regular part with fancy colors, marketing, a grease nipple boot.

Anyone who claims either last only a few months, is probably smoking crack or doing something ridiculous that would wear out any brand part.

ACDelco original equipment is worth a look but if they're the maintenance free design without a grease fitting, which means a plastic bushing in it, skip them if you have any load or potholes or off-roading. The plastic bushings are fine for passenger vehicles on perfect roads. They're inferior for anything else and that's if they are still made in a 1st world country instead of China (lol). That "confidence" in buying an OEM branded part is not well placed if it's now made in a different factory.

Anyway how long do you plan to own it? Some upper control arms have replaceable ball joints, and some OEM don't. Ball joints tend to fail more often/sooner than the control arm bushings so if you're getting a new control arm it would make sense to get one that can have the BJs replaced if you are in it for the long haul.

Also look at warranty, OEM parts tend to have a limited warranty while Mevotech or Moog are more often lifetime.

It is completely false that nothing will perform as well or fit as well as OEM parts. OEM parts are chosen to be cost effective for the OEM and outlast the warranty. Nothing more. You can expect them to be better than generic unbranded Chinese parts, but in most cases there is an aftermarket part superior to the OEM part.

Last edited:
Not sure which brand ACDelco reboxes now since Affinia's Raybesto's Chassis parts division shut down.

Originally Posted by Dave9

Anyone who claims either last only a few months, is probably smoking crack or doing something ridiculous that would wear out any brand part.

Then why did the OE stuff last 70k miles? Or the house brand OReilly sway end links going on 4 years of being flawless? Same driving conditions and everything, Moog didn't hold up.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper

Then why did the OE stuff last 70k miles? Or the house brand OReilly sway end links going on 4 years of being flawless? Same driving conditions and everything, Moog didn't hold up.

You got MasterPro to last 4 years? I'm impressed! Usually it lasts about 4 days.

Yep, I'm still surprised by it! It's just a simple pair of endlinks and some UCA bushings, but it seems good. The sway bar endlinks were bought on a Christmas Eve, the second set of Moog ones had fallen completely apart and I just bought what I could to get it on the road...and they're still working. 2 years ago I got a set for my LR3 from there and they're still good too. Looked just like the OEM ones.

in todays GLOBAL aka import market parts are a crap shoot + GM's newer pickups have the least american parts. OE means higher prices but not necessarily better. a look on the malibu forums show many hub-bearing failures at lower miles, under warranty one owner had 2 replacements under 60 thou miles + another out of warranty, thats GM quality today NOT!!

TTX Mevotech is just a waste of money, is the same as their higher tier regular part with fancy colors, marketing, a grease nipple boot.

I'm really curious to hear more about the TTX line from Mevotech. Do they use stronger materials? More durable material for the boot? Fancier lock nut? They do seem to use a sturdy anti corrosion coating, but that's mostly aesthetic and shouldn't affect integrity too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back