Treadmill Recommendation Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my old Treadmill I bought used is giving up the ghost. The belt is worn out, it has a noisy roller and the control board has intermittent problems requiring me to sometimes un-plug it for a while and plug it back in to get it going again. I've gotten my money out of it and I'm ready for something new because I have proven to myself that it's something I get benefit from and want to continue doing.

I was looking at the Sole F-80 and other treadmills of this size/quality. I don't need all the bells and whistles and entertainment centers / iPod hook-ups or Bluetooth etc. because it's parked in front of an LCD TV as it is.
I'm looking for durability to do power/brisk walking on without the need for incline. (Can't do more than that with my back) Just enough to get the heart rate going as hard as possible with what I'm physically able to do with my back.

Thoughts on makes/models?

Last edited:
I'd go with a Smooth Fitness model. You can only purchase these new on-line. Had one, still do, for years and gets pretty good use from 3 of us in the family. The one I got has an electric riser that will lift the treadmill part full vertical and free up space.

You need an elliptical instead of a treadmill - will give you a great workout while being easy on the back and knees.

Or a rower, which is what I prefer.

Basically, the worst workout method for a bad back is a treadmill.

If you're going to get a treadmill, I'd just get a used one. Here they're always selling gym type treadmills on Craigslist. Got a Cybex years ago for my sister and it's still running. They're basically 7k treadmills that get used in real gyms and they always get rid of them after 2-3 years for a new model. But because they're designed to last 40+ hours a week, for home use they'll last a long time. Usually they're only in the 1-2k range and much better than any type of home type treadmill. Usually wider/longer decks and heavy duty with a decent cushioning deck. The home ones are pretty flimsy in comparison. If you're in a house where you can run a 220 line, those models are even cheaper as not too many people can run the power and a 220 motor will last longer than a 120 one.

I never got into treadmills. I like variable speeds. I like going up & down - angled land too, sometimes in my run. I like breathing all the smog pollution and being chased by dogs....lol

I cannot speak to the F80 but I have been using an F63 for about 10 years now and been very impressed with it. Nothing fancy, but just keeps on chuggin' along.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
You need an elliptical instead of a treadmill - will give you a great workout while being easy on the back and knees.

Actually stairs a real PITA for my back. The pivoting of my hip aggravates my back injury. When my back is bad I have to sleep on the first floor of our house because the stairs to the second floor are too much.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by dnewton3
I cannot speak to the F80 but I have been using an F63 for about 10 years now and been very impressed with it. Nothing fancy, but just keeps on chuggin' along.

Thanks...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Alfred_B

Actually stairs a real PITA for my back. The pivoting of my hip aggravates my back injury. When my back is bad I have to sleep on the first floor of our house because the stairs to the second floor are too much.
frown.gif

That's surprising but yes, elliptical would be a mistake.

We are on our third Life Fitness treadmill and we wish we had switched brands...it's hard to keep it level, which was never an issue with the other two, and it also got noisy quickly despite getting the same regular maintenance that I provided for its predecessors.
I also don't like the built in programs on our model compared to the last one (the first one was a basic machine without fancy electronics, but it was very solid mechanically).

I have actually found that using a treadmill is much better for my back than something like an elliptical machine...I think the jostling around actually helps me get loose. I was using ellipticals at the gym after treadmill #2 broke down and before buying #3 and I was walking bent over to the side after about a week...five minutes on a treadmill and I felt loads better.
The knees are a different story and we will probably not be getting any more treadmills, will need to find something with a lower impact on those.

Originally Posted by javacontour
Go to the gym and use theirs, taking in the sights while you are there....

Not for me. I can't stand those places and I'm less inclined to get in a car when it's cold and drive over to the gym, especially after being on the road all day.
I'd much rather the treadmill watching something I want to watch.

Originally Posted by javacontour
Go to the gym and use theirs, taking in the sights while you are there....

I go to the Y, most of the sights are 65+...

How about a curved treadmill? The impact forces are much lower. They are very expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back