My Father's Folly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to think of a good post to spend my 10,000th post on and tonight I got word that my little sister's 1995 Jeep Cherokee that she loves left her on the side of the road.
[Linked Image]

Yeap. Driveshaft broke driving down a dirt road.
Its not a bad looking rig top side. Only has 114k miles. Thats it. Less than 5k miles a year was put on this Jeep.
[Linked Image]

But, oh boy, wait until you see the underside.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Holy mackerel was I mad when I saw the underside. My new-driver sister running down the road in this deathtrap. My poor Father bought this for her and being in Vegas, did not even think of rust as being as issue. It just doesnt happen. They bought it from a seemingly nice kid from Michigan who was stationed at Nellis at the time. I wasnt there so I have no idea if the guy mentioned the rust or not, so I cant blame him for it at all. I just understand that the full extent of the problem wasnt found until money and title changed hands and it was brought home.
I encouraged them to not keep sinking money into it, take the driveshaft out of it, put it in 4WD and drive straight to the scrap yard for the $100 or whatever theyll pay. It sounds like however its done, they will be getting rid of it and a budget of 5k was talked about for a replacement.

No, just sell it - but be honest. A titled vehicle is always worth SOMETHING.

Some hardcore Jeeper will swap that body onto a tubular "crawler" chassis and get many more years out of it.

Don't take it to the junkyard for $100, lol. If that bumper up front is a decent steel thickness, it ALONE is worth over $100. Part it out or do a private sale. Even as a parts roller, it's worth much more than what a scrapper would give.

Originally Posted by umungus1122
. Even as a parts roller, it's worth much more than what a scrapper would give.

Even if you point out all the rust to the seller, that's still a $1500+ in this part of Texas with clear title.

Vehicles from Minnesota/Wisconsin that look like that or WORSE go through Texas on their way to Central America - - 100's every day.

Originally Posted by Linctex
No, just sell it - but be honest. A titled vehicle is always worth SOMETHING.

Some hardcore Jeeper will swap that body onto a tubular "crawler" chassis and get many more years out of it.

Interesting cultural take...makes sense when you watch some of the vids...

With as popular as the Jeep brand is you will fine someone that will want that for parts. Be honest that the underneath has holes and that it's for a parts vehicle only and that the engine runs good.

You will get far more than $100 for it.

As others have said, it will sell to a hard-core Jeeper. They will just cut the whole floor out and weld in a new one, have heard it done more than once.

Much as those Jeeps are very capable off-road vehicles, they are also complete rot-boxes in the rustbelt.

If it were closer and cheaper, I'd buy it for cheap and weld in a new frame. There's companies that make complete front-to-back frame kits for Cherokees.

Originally Posted by hemitom
Man how did that ever pass a state inspection ( if one was needed )

No insp in NV.
Thanks all, Ill tell them to put it on craigslist and disclose the rust.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would have to wonder if that is the actual miles. That looks pretty bad for only 114 rounds.

I think it was someone's winter driver when it was in MI.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Are road signs often used to fix rust?
confused2.gif

When your my Dad, yes.

Last edited:
I would have to wonder if that is the actual miles. That looks pretty bad for only 114 rounds.

I've seen some really nasty rot on what would be super nice low mileage trucks otherwise. If the paint is as good all over as it is on the sides, it was probably garaged for much of its life. I have heard that garaging a vehicle can actually accelerate rot if the vehicle doesn't get cleaned and treated properly.

That's really a shame it has such extensive damage...looks like it would be a really nice example otherwise.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

I've seen some really nasty rot on what would be super nice low mileage trucks otherwise. If the paint is as good all over as it is on the sides, it was probably garaged for much of its life. I have heard that garaging a vehicle can actually accelerate rot if the vehicle doesn't get cleaned and treated properly.

That's really a shame it has such extensive damage...looks like it would be a really nice example otherwise.

Yes, this is what I suspect its life was like. No undercoat, driven in the Winter, washed the top side and put it away.

I just got a text informing that my Dad is going to weld the driveshaft back together. The mind boggles. I responded that its gonna have to be pretty straight and true or its going to shake itself to pieces again. Suggested getting another from a wrecking yard.
The next thing to fall out of it will be the transmission crossmember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back