Leave factory fill in? No Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Wife's Dacia Sandero with it's 900cc turbocharged inline 3 hit 1000miles last weekend so I decided it was time to drop the factory fill.

I did post up a few pictures for those interested in the link below...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ndero-what-a-neat-little-car#Post5035594

The car is my Wife's commuter car, it does around 20 miles a day of very mixed varied driving but mainly 50mph+. Every Friday evening I take it out for a drive, fill it up with Shell V-Power and because it's been running-in I have been giving it a few long hard pulls in 2nd and 3rd gear up an incline from 2000rpm to 6000rpm and let it engine brake back down to 2000rpm to make sure everything is well seated.

Engine oil was black, like diesel oil and full of metal particles. There was loads of metal particles in the oil filter housing lid too. Surprisingly, considering the amount of metal in the oil and the oil filter housing there seems to be very few visible particles in the oil filter pleats.

I also swapped out the gearbox oil, it was a nice light gold colour but seemed to be a bit cloudy and there was some metal particles in it also.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking...

4.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Originally Posted by Linctex
ummm..... that's WHY we don't buy French vehicles.

But you buy lots of Japanese and German cars correct? This has an engine that is used by Nissan and Mercedes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Yikes. I fear that isn't due to break in.

I did think it was a bit excessive but the engine is silky smooth and very quiet. It makes no tapping or knocking and purrs at idle. It actually sounds like a turbocharged V6 under load, it sounds quite nice. There's no signs at all that anything is amiss.

I think I shall perform another oil change when the car his 6000miles or 6 months and see what it's like then.

My Nissan Frontier 2.5L engine shed a ton of metal during break-in. I changed the filter at 500 miles, the initial oil fill at 1,500 miles and then started the routine of 5,000 mile oil changes at the 5,000 mile mark.

I'm at 45,000 miles now and the oil changes are normal. I'd suggest you follow the severe duty recommendation that is made in the owners manual for oil change intervals. That engine is tiny and is surely to run hot.

I see quite a few Dacia cars in Germany. I always thought they were a Soviet era eastern European brand of vehicle. They make very attractive vehicles now.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I have been giving it a few long hard pulls in 2nd and 3rd gear up an incline from 2000rpm to 6000rpm

Don't think it's such a good idea to beat on an engine like that under 1,000 miles when it isn't broken in yet.

If I buy a brand new vehicle/engine then I do the first change at 50 miles, then at 500, then at 1K, then transition to normal intervals.

thastinger
My first OC in my GDI will be at roughly 3.2K. Engines are digitally mastered these days. The tolerances are much more precise than yesteryear.
Buy hey, if you want to waste money on the side of unnecessary precaution, go right ahead and change it ridiculously early.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
thastinger
My first OC in my GDI will be at roughly 3.2K. Engines are digitally mastered these days. The tolerances are much more precise than yesteryear.
Buy hey, if you want to waste money on the side of unnecessary precaution, go right ahead and change it ridiculously early.

I'd rather spend £25 on an oil change to get all that brass and steel out of the oil than leave it in for another 10 months or 11,000miles as specified by the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Popsy
This Fram filter looks Purflux made, is that possible ? Made in France ?

It seemed to be identical to the factory fitted filter I removed. The factory fitted filter was branded Purflux and 'Made In France'. The Fram filter also said 'Made In France'.

I wish I could find more information on the filters we get here in the UK but we don't seem to be able to get any information about oil filters here at all. They're either budget, OEM or premium.

According to my (limited) experience, the zig zag pattern filters are all made by Purflux (SOGEFI) in France, SOGEFI has other plants elsewhere, but none seem to do the zig zag pattern filters.
Europe doesn't seem to care particularly for filters, I suggest you continue to use the Purflux made filters
smile.gif

thastinger

I really dislike this attitude. While we don't know that early oil changes are beneficial to an engine, we also don't know that they aren't beneficial. Calling it a waste is really incorrect since you can't prove these things.

thastinger

That's true regarding modern engine build quality, but this doesn't take into account when the oil went into the engine. I took delivery of my 2018 car in January 2019, and according to the attached sticker, the car was already twelve months old, having been built in January 2018. The maintenance schedule says 12 months is the maximum change interval by time. Being 99.9999% sure that the dealer didn't change it out of the goodness of their hearts, I changed changed it myself. Now I know both the specific product and the install date with 100% certainty. This argument goes back and forth, here and elsewhere, but rarely mentioned is anyone checking to see how long that initial fill has actually been in the engine.

And yes, while it's true that modern engines are built very well, to very fine tolerance levels, this one's surely got some stuff in the oil that I'd want out. Moreover, the early look alerts the owner to keep an eye on what might be an early problem. Sometimes ignorance ISN'T bliss. . .

I am in the early change camp as well. I like to change out the factory fill around the 1000 mile mark with the next change putting it on the schedule I want. It also gives me the opportunity to really check out everything and become familiar with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back