CB Radio: is it completely dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone use CB Radio anymore? Do truckers even still use it? I was cleaning out the barn and came across an old radio and it made me wonder.

Yes, Cb Radios are still used off road. Mostly for 4x4 clubs. I know of a large Jeep club here in San Diego that run them.
Truckers still use them too though not as much these days.

Last edited:
There is a big amateur radio club here. I have a few friends in it and it is the best source of news during major events here. During the Thomas fire flare-up where we could see flames in the hills over my work they had more accurate news faster than the local news.

Yes, truckers still use them. Did you think a phone could broadcast to everyone in the area? No, you need OTA transmission to reach random people.

Do you need one? Guess it depends, if you don't think you do, you probably don't.

They are great around the farm.

Also very handy when several of your friends/family are driving to a destination together.

I have a CB in my car among other radios and I rarely hear anybody on it, however I keep the squelch nearly all the way up so I'd only hear someone if they were within a mile or two; or running big power through an amplifier.
Otherwise there is just so much man made noise it squawks all the time. Thats all I really want it for is just to hear in my immediate area anyways.
I mainly use the 2m and 70cm/GMRS.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Does anyone use CB Radio anymore? Do truckers even still use it? I was cleaning out the barn and came across an old radio and it made me wonder.

It really depends where you are. If you are in Northern Kentucky, I would expect there is still some CB traffic. When skip is rolling I occasionally pick up some big stations from KY.

In my area most of the local trucks still use CB's. Farm trucks, dump trucks, milk trucks, log trucks, etc. There are also a few guys in my area that still run base station CB's and get on the air once in a while.

If the radio still works, get it hooked up and see what you find.

I've always liked them. I had one in my Mazda 3 with a 5' whip. There's a lot of trash over the radio but sometimes it's fun. I haven't gotten around to putting one in the 6 because I can't find a setup that looks good and will perform well.

Been wondering about the current traffic.

Thought about putting one in my truck just to have, listen to and 'just in case'. What can I say, I like information.

If the airwaves are really dead on the interstates and urban areas, I might not spend that money.

I still use CB radio, but its use over the years has diminished with the advent of cell phones, I have a base station and a radio in one of my cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 46Harry
I still use CB radio, but its use over the years has diminished with the advent of cell phones,

I thought the main reason to have one is to know where the smokies and speed traps are. Or at least that's the only reason I had one. Better radar detectors changed most of that, but increased traffic congestion means you can't go too fast anyway.

When I was driving, CB saved me a few times during brake checks.

Out in California and the west coast states, truckers run different channels depending on the area...15, 17, 19. I wondered why channel 19 was so quiet when I went out there first time, and found out everybody was on channel 17. The reason was because when the skip is heavy, a station 500 miles away can step on a signal that is only a couple miles apart.

I live in a logging town/area and all the loggers use them in their trucks. The logging roads are often steep, one way and blind corners. They have to know who is going up or down etc to avoid accidents.

Usually at the beginning of a logging road they will post a sign what CB channel the area is using and every mile or even half mile they post a mileage sign. That way they know what mile the other guy is on so they have a head-ups a truck is coming at them.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by 46Harry
I still use CB radio, but its use over the years has diminished with the advent of cell phones,

I thought the main reason to have one is to know where the smokies and speed traps are. Or at least that's the only reason I had one. Better radar detectors changed most of that, but increased traffic congestion means you can't go too fast anyway.

Yep.
"There's a few County Bountys trying to make their daily quota.... slow it down !!!"

Also to warn oncoming truckers of a major traffic accident and to look for alternative route.

Originally Posted by Kira
OK, you got me looking for and I found my old CB radio and antenna.

I'm going to fire it up and listen.

Thanks for the reminder

Channel 28 is popular in upstate NY/Vermont, especially in the evenings, not sure if you're close enough.

CB radio is alive and very well in my area, and has been at least since I moved to Vermont over ten years ago. Heck, we even have a hardware store with a whole aisle dedicated to CB stuff. At the entrance to any gravel pit, and some other such places, you will see a sign designating which CB channel to be on. So much good discussion out there that I put my base station back up five years or so ago and enjoy it. Wife and I are amateur radio operators so naturally there are CBs in all of our vehicles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back