What is Ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
Or ask Al Gore, he invented it.

He invented the internet, not Ethernet.

Originally Posted by Dave9
This seems kind of random (why is it here on BITOG?).

It's just like quantum entanglement, it's random.

It's posted in the computer section
21.gif

Here's what I pulled up doing a search: The difference between internet and ethernet is that the internet is a wide area network (WAN) while the ethernet is a local area network (LAN). Internet is a worldwide large network that connects a large number of devices around the world while ethernet is a network that covers a small geographical area.

Because it is posted in the proper section and many like to talk about topics other than oil.

It popped up in my YouTube feed and there is a computer section here so I thought I would post it in case folks might find the information useful. Feel free to keep scrolling Dave.
21.gif

Random to see a computer networking topic in a sub-forum called "Computers"?
smile.gif

Ethernet

IIRC, it was the "thing" back in the 80's, that fundamentally drove computer networking advances for decades and is still "the" foundational network protocol technology today.

Bob Metcalfe is "the man" of networking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UberArchetype
Ethernet

IIRC, it was the "thing" back in the 80's, that fundamentally drove computer networking advances for decades and is still "the" foundational network protocol technology today.

There were a bunch of other methods for networking back in the early days. Arcnet, token ring were a couple other ones. CDMA just won out over those other competing topologies and it's still solid enough to be in use today. It's come a long way since 10 megbits was considered fast.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by UberArchetype
Ethernet

There were a bunch of other methods for networking back in the early days. Arcnet, token ring were a couple other ones. CDMA just won out over those other competing topologies and it's still solid enough to be in use today. It's come a long way since 10 megbits was considered fast.

Oh the nostalgia that stirs up! I was in grade school when the Unisys ICON system was developed and installed in Ontario. It leveraged ARCNET. Token ring was used at the local Uni but by the time I got seriously into Networking, Ethernet had become the dominant standard.

I had Unisys ICON systems in my school as well.
grin2.gif
It was coax based and I still remember them going around and turning the key on all the wall plates to figure out where the break in the daisy-chain was so they could fix it. The whole school would print to the same printer in the room where the server was. We had about 30 terminals in the school feeding off this one server hooked up to an Epson FX-80. It was chaos and we had different times everyone in the school could use the printer.
lol.gif

My first network at home was using Lantastic for Dos and then later with a snap-in for windows 3.11 and I used to off-brand NE-2000 compatible adapters with coax and terminators at either end. (Resistor) Then I upgraded to 10mps ethernet and I was flying then.
grin2.gif

I also had a Null-Modem cable between 2 older PC's using their serial ports and would transfer files via Norton Commander.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I had Unisys ICON systems in my school as well.
grin2.gif
It was coax based and I still remember them going around and turning the key on all the wall plates to figure out where the break in the daisy-chain was so they could fix it. The whole school would print to the same printer in the room where the server was. We had about 30 terminals in the school feeding off this one server hooked up to an Epson FX-80. It was chaos and we had different times everyone in the school could use the printer.
lol.gif

My first network at home was using Lantastic for Dos and then later with a snap-in for windows 3.11 and I used to off-brand NE-2000 compatible adapters with coax and terminators at either end. (Resistor) Then I upgraded to 10mps ethernet and I was flying then.
grin2.gif

I also had a Null-Modem cable between 2 older PC's using their serial ports and would transfer files via Norton Commander.
grin2.gif

That's gold right there! I used null-modem as well but never ran coax at home. I had an IBM Blue Lightning 10Mbit ISA ethernet card in one rig and I think an NE-2000 in another with a 3COM 10Mbit hub
lol.gif
It had that "bandwidth usage" graph on the front which I always thought was awesome, as well as the collision light.
grin.gif

Oh yeah 3COM, I had forgotten about them. My first 10/100 NIC was from them. Oh man the equipment I have seen over the years... I could write a book. LOL

Originally Posted by StevieC
Oh yeah 3COM, I had forgotten about them. My first 10/100 NIC was from them. Oh man the equipment I have seen over the years... I could write a book. LOL

PCI? 3C905 or 3C905B. If it was ISA, it was the 3C509.

I have a Diamond Multimedia home wireless kit which includes a PCMCIA Wireless card and an ISA one for a desktop!

When I was at UNB, the only cards the school recommended were 3COM ones. They had recently spent an obscene amount of money upgrading the entire campus LAN and all gear was 3COM. I had the CardBus 3COM 10/100 NIC in my Satellite 330CDT and maxing out the NIC would make the computer almost unusable
lol.gif
I had a 3C509 in my 486 SX/25 that was running FreeBSD at the time.

It's funny, every once in a while I'll end up at a site where they've got some ancient gear in a closet or stacked in a corner and it makes you think back to when it was cutting edge
grin.gif

This is a good story about how everyone is fallable and no one is invincible forever.

3COM, Soud Blaster, Intel CPU, Cisco router, Oracle Database, Lotus 123, Word Perfect, you name them, they all can fail and did fail.

I remember back in the late 90s we run coax cable with those NE2000 compatible ISA card just because we don't have money to buy a hub, and we are running wire along the window (and the roof to the other side of the building) for a long distance with coax. The only problem is when an idiot disconnect his T and the whole network goes down, but small price to pay if you don't want to spend $200 for a hub and a bunch of cables all going into this one dorm room.

Then 2 years later we are still using it to share DSL when we move to apartments, because router is expensive ($200) and we still don't want to run a bunch of cables across windows. We end up getting a retired 486 to run internet connection sharing, good enough for a cheap price (free). Young people have it easy these days with wifi and $20 router, but cell phone cost more now and you are expected to pick up a messenger within 5 sec.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

smile.gif

why do we even have a computer sub-forum?

No disrespect intended, but this is not the place for computer topics. It's been my bread and butter for decades and... just no.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

smile.gif

why do we even have a computer sub-forum?

Because this is what BITOG members wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back