Rank the Synthetic Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you personally rank the major synthetic oils...the ones that are reasonably easy to find? For example, how does standard Mobil 1 5w20 stack up against Castrol Edge, PP, Valvoline, & QS in the same viscosity? I read a lot about Mobil 1 EP, AFE, and AP but don't seem to see much about the old Mobil 1.

Price point or performance?
They all are good depending on which specified rating you need. M1 0w40 or 5w50. Castrol 10w60.Pennzoil Syn in 0,5w20/30. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic all wts for leakers and smokers.

Originally Posted by klt1986
How do you personally rank the major synthetic oils...the ones that are reasonably easy to find? For example, how does standard Mobil 1 5w20 stack up against Castrol Edge, PP, Valvoline, & QS in the same viscosity? I read a lot about Mobil 1 EP, AFE, and AP but don't seem to see much about the old Mobil 1.

There's no way to make a ranking like that, unfortunately. It depends on the application, plus a lot of info that no one outside of the manufacturers and some labs will ever have.

I rank them by being on sale.....

Anything that I have learned here is that they are pretty much all the same.....

I just buy what I like!

Originally Posted by daves87rs

Anything that I have learned here is that they are pretty much all the same.....

I just buy what I like!

That is a good strategy. I remember my Dad only running Havoline oils for years. I sold a Pontiac Trans Am a few years back and remember the buyer calling me back in a frenzy because he had forgotten to ask me what kind of oil I ran in the car.

In 5W30 flavor..... SN Plus + Dexos1 / Gen2
Valvoline Advanced
Castrol Edge Black
Pennzoil Platinum
Mobil-1 vanilla
Quaker State Ultimate Durability

Last edited:

I just buy what I like!

That is a good strategy. I remember my Dad only running Havoline oils for years. I sold a Pontiac Trans Am a few years back and remember the buyer calling me back in a frenzy because he had forgotten to ask me what kind of oil I ran in the car.

I remember reading various Usenet auto groups. There was this one particular guy whose feeling was that the ideal motor oil would be a conventional that had the least spread that met the manufacturer's recommendations. So for his Honda he thought that 10W-30 was ideal and that the best thing to do was not constantly change motor oil brands to minimize disruption to the additive packages and balance of the oil since there's always going to be 10-25% previous oil left after an oil change depending on the individual vehicle's design. I recall this particular poster's thinking was that the ideal motor oil would be a SAE 30 coupled with a block heater. Not sure it would help all that much with fuel economy though.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Price point or performance?
They all are good depending on which specified rating you need. M1 0w40 or 5w50. Castrol 10w60.Pennzoil Syn in 0,5w20/30. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic all wts for leakers and smokers.

I guess I would say whatever you can buy at WalMart, AAP, AZ or any other large retailer for the average passenger car or truck. I know it is a very broad question and probably boils down to personal preference.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
My favorite is definitely Pennzoil Platinum.

Mine too if they pay their rebates but so far the are only 1 for 3.

It depends. For the Subaru which are not tough on oil, but require synthetic, the NAPA brand synthetic is fine.

For my Ford PSD which I will run it 2 clicks of the OLM I think a high quality oil like Rotella T6 5W40 or Delo 5W40.

For your average car, Mobil 1 is easy to find, reasonable price, high quality. And probably all the other name brand synthetic oils at Walmart also

But I would avoid any oil sold at a dollar store.

I like Pennzoil Platinum. Easy to find because it's yellow.
grin.gif

Funny you bring this up....

I just saw a Mobil 1 commercial talking about 250k miles of protection... Seems a bit low balled for Mobil 1.... Pennzoil Ultra was for like 500k miles.. and Quaker State full synthetic I think is 250k miles.

I really thought Mobil 1 would be going for 400 to 500 hundred thousand miles...

There you go....

Atwood's Farm and Ranch has 5 quart jugs of Full synthetic Harvest King every day for only $12-$13

Originally Posted by bbhero

I just saw a Mobil 1 commercial talking about 250k miles of protection... Seems a bit low balled for Mobil 1.... Pennzoil Ultra was for like 500k miles.. and Quaker State full synthetic I think is 250k miles.
I really thought Mobil 1 would be going for 400 to 500 hundred thousand miles...

Advertising like that is hardly worth the paper it's printed on.

Don't take it as gospel truth or "facts"

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by bbhero

Advertising like that is hardly worth the paper it's printed on.

Don't take it as gospel truth or "facts"

The rest of the car will be long gone before most hit any of those mileage marks. Plus, how many engines die because of oil failure?

I, like a lot of folks here, have ran soooo many different brands and still, I can't tell a discernible difference in any of them to be honest. My vehicles seem to feel the same way I think. Realistic OCI's based on actual driving service conditions are more important IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back