To Kreen or not to Kreen?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys...just went in to look at my profile and noticed that I haven't posted anything in over 3 years (the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated...)! Fear not, I've been following the forum and "lurking" the whole time. I just purchased a 2003 Camry with the 2.4l for my nephew (his first car...couldn't find a Maserati in our price range...). The car was owned by an older gentleman who passed last year and inherited by his only relative (niece). The car has 79,000 miles. The car is in very good condition except he was a smoker (odor in the car...will need to hit it with an ozone generator). The car runs and drives beautifully. My only problem with is it has NO maintenance receipts and the niece was clueless about it's maintenance history. I've changed the oil and installed some QSGB 5W30 for now while I decide how I want to proceed...will be replacing the coolant and transmission fluid shortly. The oil was dirty and there is some noticeable varnish on the oil filler baffle and dipstick but it was full when I changed it. The air filter looks like it was recently replaced so I'm assuming that it has had some maintenance over time...just not sure how much or what was used. I have a can of Kreen that I've never used (not sure why I bought it and it's still in the box...about 2 years old or so) and was thinking about giving this car a Kreen treatment. I see that there isn't much discussion about Kreen these days? My other option is to leave the Quaker State in there for awhile and see if it consumes any oil. I'm just checking to see what the consensus is these days regarding use of Kreen in a car with an unknown service history. It's great to be back...thanks in advance...

Drive it for a while and see how the engine runs. Removing a valve cover would tell you how the insides looks.

IMO, just leave it alone, if it is running.

I don't think this is a sludge engine.

Last edited:
If you want to be sure it's "clean", then use a little as a flush at the end of the oci. I would never operate an engine with a flush under load. Just let the car get up to temp, then change out when it cools back off. I've had some limited success with seafoam as a flush. Oil would not darken as fast after changing.

Varnish noticeable on the dipstick? If I were you, and I bought a car with unknown history, had Kreen on hand, and varnish on the dipstick, I'd use the Kreen as directed.

Couldnt hurt to clean throttle body,replace pcv and run a bottle twice of a pea based cleaner like Gumout Regane or Si-1. If your gonna flush,use a really good oil filter and go with Liquimoly,Motul or Amsoil flush. Maybe try a QS HM synblend first though. If a old guy drove it then it might cause more harm than good. Another option would be using Lubegard Biotech or Archoil 9100 to slowly clean vs an more aggressive all at one time cleaning. You might have to yank the sump if you dislodge enough carbon and crud.

Could you just change it out again with some 0W20 for a couple weeks and let that emulsify whatever is in there, put back in 5W30 before the hot months of summer, and keep driving it. This is the head-bolt stripped threads engine, the middle 3 at the back, just make sure you change your coolant regularly, keep an eye on the backside of the motor for any signs of coolant drips, and never overheat it obviously.

I've used Kreen and Bio/Tech, and even though I think the Bio/Tech is a great product, it IS NOT designed for cleaning, as confirmed by Lubegard tech line (I have a VOA thread along with several emails here on the board). Kreen, OTOH, is a purpose-designed solvent cleaner which specifically states to add and drive 1,000 miles and then repeat. Based on Trav's extensive experience, part of the product evaporates quickly, but must have something in it that remains for some distance.

DO NOT add Kreen to your oil, idle for 5 minutes, and then drain it; the manufacturer and loads of other experience here show it is not harmful when driven. If you're going to use it, I agree with demarpaint... use it as the manufacturer says so. It won't hurt your engine if it is heavily varnished or sludged as you believe. Just stick a good filter like a Fram Ultra on it before you dump the Kreen in, to get all of that stuff out of the engine.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I've used Kreen and Bio/Tech, and even though I think the Bio/Tech is a great product, it IS NOT designed for cleaning, as confirmed by Lubegard tech line (I have a VOA thread along with several emails here on the board). Kreen, OTOH, is a purpose-designed solvent cleaner which specifically states to add and drive 1,000 miles and then repeat. Based on Trav's extensive experience, part of the product evaporates quickly, but must have something in it that remains for some distance.

DO NOT add Kreen to your oil, idle for 5 minutes, and then drain it; the manufacturer and loads of other experience here show it is not harmful when driven. If you're going to use it, I agree with demarpaint... use it as the manufacturer says so. It won't hurt your engine if it is heavily varnished or sludged as you believe. Just stick a good filter like a Fram Ultra on it before you dump the Kreen in, to get all of that stuff out of the engine.

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the advice...at this point I think I'll go ahead with the Kreen. I've used it in the past with good results (incuding my '99 Villager which my sister is still driving with 210K miles...uses about a quart in 5,000 miles at this point). I am aware of the potential issues with the head bolts on this engine...hoping this will hold up for awhile without issue (2 of my neighbors have similar vehicles...guy across the street has an '02 Camry with 180K and the other is an '05 with 140K...both are the 2.4l and no issues at this point although I read somewhere that Toyota may have resolved this around 2004/5)? In any case due to the varnish levels evident I believe the car would benefit from the Kreen. I have a Tough Guard Fram filter on it which should be sufficient. I'll change the oil out for a short run of conventional after the cleaning and probably go to Maxlife after that. I just thought it strange that Kreen is hardly discussed here anymore after all the testimonials a few years back. As always, thanks for the input...will keep you advised.

I'm sure Kreen is very effective, but I think most cases of relatively minor sludge or deposits can be dealt with by Rislone Engine Treatment for a pretty modest cost, and it may be less harsh and can be used for an whole OCI...

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Kreen is very effective and can be used for an whole OCI...

I completely agree with your true statement!
smile.gif

That's probably because Kreen will have been used up by 1,000 miles.

I have used Kreen on my Mercedes with almost 300k miles, not only did it clean up the engine but my morning injector knock was gone. Now I use 2 oz Kreen on my Mercedes CDI every time I fill up. IMHO it is the best product out there.

Originally Posted by DallasTexas
I have used Kreen on my Mercedes with almost 300k miles, not only did it clean up the engine but my morning injector knock was gone. Now I use 2 oz Kreen on my Mercedes CDI every time I fill up. IMHO it is the best product out there.

Kreen is very effective but also very harsh on old oil seals like Berryman, so let see how long it can take before leaking

Originally Posted by kr_bitog
Kreen is very effective but also very harsh on old oil seals like Berryman, so let see how long it can take before leaking

I've used Kreen at least once on 4 different cars I own, with the oldest one at 224k getting 2 thousand-mile bouts with Kreen. The other vehicles had 180k, 147k, and 121k. Not one of them leaked after a Kreen treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back