155k miles on 1 Toyota filter...video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed mine every 5 years on my old Corolla before I sold it to my son (same filter). This I did because I worried about the age and the ability it had to make a correct seal. Odometer reading had nothing to do with it....it does have 250,000 miles on it and runs like new. I would never use compressed air on a filter...how dumb does a person have to be to do that...that particular filter was never designed to handle 80psi of air on it.

Last edited:
NEVER use compressed air no mater how careful you are. The approved method is turn it over (dirty side down) and tap it against a clean concrete floor. Bigger chunks and insects will come out. I do this every time I do a visual inspection of the filter. Does it help? Dunno.

I just think about the quicky lube jocks who "inspect" your air filter at every service, hoping the reinstallation is done right. Good grief.

Mom's 2018 Honda CRV with the 1.5L Turbo just clocked 25,000 miles last week. So like a good son I spent a few hours servicing the car. Replaced the original OEM engine air filter with a new Fram unit. In the included photo, you will see the black build up the filter trapped, did it jobs very well. Also replaced the original air cabin filter, which is also in the photo. Rotated the tires and changed the oil with 3.7 quarts of fresh Mobil 1 0W-20 oil, and OEM oil filter. I've changed the oil every 7,500 miles so I know the car is being maintained well. She commuted 80 miles a day here in Los Angeles. No amount of compressed air was going to help this air filter clean up!
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by circuitsmith

Is it? The consensus is that the air filter becomes more effective at catching dirt with continued use.
That new filter lets more dirt through initially, which generally causes more wear.
I used a restriction gauge on my previous Toyota Matrix and it went 43K miles before the restriction reached about half the recommended limit.

This was the consensus but it was mostly an assumption from everything I can find. Recently, someone has been posting some data (graphs) indicating that filtration efficiency doesn't improve as the filter loads up. It filters the same from start to finish until the filter fails. That that point efficiency falls off the map.

I have tried searching for this information with little luck but I know I saw it on here. If this is true, then there really isn't much downside (other than $) to replacing a filter more often than needed.

Originally Posted by badtlc
... Recently, someone has been posting some data (graphs) indicating that filtration efficiency doesn't improve as the filter loads up. It filters the same from start to finish until the filter fails. That that point efficiency falls off the map.
... I have tried searching for this information with little luck but I know I saw it on here. If this is true, then there really isn't much downside (other than $) to replacing a filter more often than needed.
Are you sure that graph wasn't about OIL filter efficiency?

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
NEVER use compressed air no mater how careful you are. The approved method is turn it over (dirty side down) and tap it against a clean concrete floor. Bigger chunks and insects will come out. I do this every time I do a visual inspection of the filter. Does it help? Dunno.

Exactly! I typically, and very carefully, check and clean this way once per year. I also check the downstream side of the intake (always has been clean for me) too. Reseal with great care. No need at all to risk "blast damage" to the media with compressed air.

Don't tap the filter either. When you tap a filter to something, the lighter stuff is coming off and circling right back around to the clean side of the filter.

Best thing you can do is never touch the filter at all until it has enough restriction that it needs replacing. You can know this with a restriction gauge.

I have a couple of "ugly" filters right now that are barely registering restriction.

My owners manual for my Lincoln Hybrid states that I have a lifetime air filter. Service rep at dealer never saw this before, showed him the manual, dumbfounded!!! Cannot see any air filter housing, the filter is buried deep in the air intake somewhere and so far, never have replaced it at 67,000 miles. two dealers now have no idea what this filter is, where it is located and have never seen it in the manual before!

This is silly. These filters are under ten dollars for an OEM clone type filter on amazon or rockauto.

I replace air filters and cabin filters in the fall when it gets "cool" in south Texas. Once a year.

Usually costs about 30 dollars to service both cars with engine filter and cabin filter.

Blowing compressed air could rip the filter.

Originally Posted by Spector
My owners manual for my Lincoln Hybrid states that I have a lifetime air filter. Service rep at dealer never saw this before, showed him the manual, dumbfounded!!! Cannot see any air filter housing, the filter is buried deep in the air intake somewhere and so far, never have replaced it at 67,000 miles. two dealers now have no idea what this filter is, where it is located and have never seen it in the manual before!

Fords have had "lifetime" air filters for at least a decade, where the filter element is sealed and there's a restriction gauge.

https://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_focus_pzev_air_filter.htm

[Linked Image]

Not sure about your setup though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back