Protein Powders: which ones are good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks. Been toying with the thought of using protein powder to add to smoothies since I'm still dropping weight. Doctor seems to think they are NOT worth it. Some I have looked at; well I dont know what to make of them. Thanks in advance for info and suggestions
wink.gif

Are you still wanting to drop weight and how much more if you are. I use them but must must be added into total macros if still cutting a lot of weight I would avoid.

Just finished working out now enjoying one after shoulder workout and 20min HIIT on the elliptical

If you use these powders, I think one big aspect of what you choose is that it be naturally sweetened or non-sweetened versus containing something like acesulfame or sucralose, etc. IMO, that can be as important as if it's isolate or bulk protein powder. Most are straight up overpriced and if you have a natural food store or a discount health food store near you, you can sometimes get it for considerably less. A health food store near me sells a mixed concentrate / isolate whey protein powder in bulk for $12/pound that seems to be the equivalent of what you'd pay $20 or more for in the plastic tubs. Most of that stuff is still an artificially sweetened mess that my GI reacts to so I don't use the sweetened ones if just for that reason. YMMV.

The powder depends on what you are trying to accomplish in addition to dropping weight.

Straight protein to mix with your existing smoothies? I've used Now Sports Pea Protein....a bit chalky by itself and sometimes has mixing issues but a clean, solid inexpensive powder.

Looking for meal replacement? There are any number available if you look at Google; I eat Huel.

Originally Posted by CT8
Eat grass feed beef.

Along with protein powders I sure do

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good afternoon folks. Been toying with the thought of using protein powder to add to smoothies since I'm still dropping weight.

I did a ton of research into this (albeit for muscle gain, not weight - but still) a few years ago. I went with the Body Fortress brand purchased at Walmart. It hit the right mix of quality/cost/strong reviews.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-For...dOAwL8vqZD5nEHJ1tSsu2D1clf8aAoeCEALw_wcB

I mix it into a spinach/berry/banana/soy milk smoothie and I have been VERY satisfied with the results, flavor, and the cost/quality mix.

I've been using Jarrow products for years including their protein powders.

http://www.jarrow.com/category/26/Protein_Powders_(Whey_&_Plant)

I use the chocolate Whey Protein powder. My current recipe is:

Cold brewed coffee. 4oz. I just set my regular coffee aside to cool off.
Skim milk. 2oz
Protein powder. 1 scoop.

Blend until smooth. Makes a nice chocolate mocha. I like the amino acids in this formula and it can work as a meal replacement or part of a small meal.

I buy Body Fortress whey protein powder. 60g protein per serving. $16 at Walmart. I compared the ingredients to the expensive ones at GNC and I see no reason to use anything else than Body Fortress. I lift weights 3 nights a week,and drink a shake every morning.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I buy Body Fortress whey protein powder. 60g protein per serving. $16 at Walmart. I compared the ingredients to the expensive ones at GNC and I see no reason to use anything else than Body Fortress. I lift weights 3 nights a week,and drink a shake every morning.

I'm gonna bet that is for two scoops for 60grams and 80grams of powder and near 240 calories.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oro_O
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good afternoon folks. Been toying with the thought of using protein powder to add to smoothies since I'm still dropping weight.

I did a ton of research into this (albeit for muscle gain, not weight - but still) a few years ago. I went with the Body Fortress brand purchased at Walmart. It hit the right mix of quality/cost/strong reviews.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-For...dOAwL8vqZD5nEHJ1tSsu2D1clf8aAoeCEALw_wcB

I mix it into a spinach/berry/banana/soy milk smoothie and I have been VERY satisfied with the results, flavor, and the cost/quality mix.

I notice it has a heck of a amount of cholesterol. Is this ok or...

Originally Posted by dave123
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

I'm gonna bet that is for two scoops for 60grams and 80grams of powder and near 240 calories.

Yep,two scoops to get the 60g with 210 calories. I just use some scoop,thinking 30g is plenty because I eat a lot of red meat. I have a GNC protein powder jug that was $19.99 sitting next to it that has 50g per four scoops,700 calories.

BSN Syntha 6, AminoX, and NO-Xplode are the supplements I keep around. They have the best flavors by far and they work for me.

I use NO-Xplode only if I need a boost - typically on chest day. I take my BCAAs before/during my workout and eat right after. Protein in the morning for my breakfast.

Are you trying to use a protein powder because you can't physically eat enough normal food to hit your macros? Or, do you want to maybe use a flavored protein powder as sweet treat/dessert substitute along with your strategic diet goals?

I like MP Combat Cookies N Cream.
6 lbs 46.99 @ Costco.
It has great flavor.
Only 2 gr sugar per serving, all natural.
Three kinds of whey, Egg albumen (egg white), and casein.
Time released protein to help with
satiation and maintaining of muscle mass
(very important in your case, OP.)
Bodybuilding Magazine gives it a top tier rating.
It is beneficial for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back