Just OCI'ed using Havoline Smart Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Chevron has the rights to the Havoline brand. They have for some time yet they have never really pushed it nor advertised it much. Being Chevron, it is a good oil and at a great price, especially with the Smart Change box.

It's hard to find around my area but Wally's does carry some of the grades online.

I remember back in the day (03 & 04, I think?) Chevron Supreme was the go to oil here at BITOG. I was using it exclusively in my 97 F150.
My dad had his own heavy equipment business for 35 years. He used Chevron lubricants about 90% of the time.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Chevron has the rights to the Havoline brand. They have for some time yet they have never really pushed it nor advertised it much. Being Chevron, it is a good oil and at a great price, especially with the Smart Change box.

It's hard to find around my area but Wally's does carry some of the grades online.

I remember back in the day (03 & 04, I think?) Chevron Supreme was the go to oil here at BITOG. I was using it exclusively in my 97 F150.
My dad had his own heavy equipment business for 35 years. He used Chevron lubricants about 90% of the time.

It's still a good oil but it doesn't get mentioned as much here anymore. I do see that at Walmart.

My first experiences with oil changes were with Havoline when it was with Texaco. It was still in the metal cans then but the cardboard cans were just around the corner.

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/havoline-prods-full-synthetic-motor-oil.html

Ah, okay. My local WM has that oil in the 1 qt. containers only.
I am guessing that the CHEVRON emblem represents CHEVRON oil in the containers, with the Havoline name only?

Chevron merged with Texaco almost 20 years ago and basically took over the Havoline name. At the time of the merger Havoline was Texaco branded but was distributed by the Equilon (Shell-Texaco) joint venture. It might have taken a year or so for that to have been ended and Havoline is essentially developed by Chevron. Chevron's lubricants development is at the Richmond, California refinery and around the world. However, I don't know if anyone can really say if anything is really a Texaco product any more. By the same token, Pennzoil and Quaker State are really just Shell products now.

Chevron and Texaco had a joint venture that existed before the merger called CalTex. Now it's just an international division of Chevron. In other parts of the world Havoline is sold as a CalTex product.

[Linked Image]

It's still a good oil but it doesn't get mentioned as much here anymore. I do see that at Walmart.

My first experiences with oil changes were with Havoline when it was with Texaco. It was still in the metal cans then but the cardboard cans were just around the corner.

I remember when my local WM had Havoline 5W-30 for something like 79 cents a quart around 2001. I couldn't figure out why it was cheaper than anything else on the shelf. It was labelled as distributed by Equilon though.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/havoline-prods-full-synthetic-motor-oil.html

Ah, okay. My local WM has that oil in the 1 qt. containers only.
I am guessing that the CHEVRON emblem represents CHEVRON oil in the containers, with the Havoline name only?

Chevron merged with Texaco almost 20 years ago and basically took over the Havoline name. At the time of the merger Havoline was Texaco branded but was distributed by the Equilon (Shell-Texaco) joint venture. It might have taken a year or so for that to have been ended and Havoline is essentially developed by Chevron. Chevron's lubricants development is at the Richmond, California refinery and around the world. However, I don't know if anyone can really say if anything is really a Texaco product any more. By the same token, Pennzoil and Quaker State are really just Shell products now.

Chevron and Texaco had a joint venture that existed before the merger called CalTex. Now it's just an international division of Chevron. In other parts of the world Havoline is sold as a CalTex product.

[Linked Image]

Yep. I'm familiar with CalTex from my travels overseas. It's a well respected name as is Chevron.

@oilchangeguy, good to hear. I see the 10w30 Pro DS online at Wally's. I'm wondering why the more common grades are not available. 0w20 and 5w30. Those plus the 5w20 are available in the 5qt jugs but not the Smart Change box. It's head scratching.

Maybe the conventional and high mileage products were an initial market test, and they are just now starting to distribute the full synthetic lines.

Wal-Mart lists UPC's on their MSDS lookup page. Because I have nothing better to do, I Googled a block of similar UPC codes to what's already available and one did return back to a Pro DS 5W-30 on Google, but not Walmart. So, that viscosity is probably forthcoming.

076568790387 - Pro DS 5W-20
076568790363 - Pro DS 10W-30
076568790370 - Pro DS 5W-30

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back