Loaner - 2019 Acura RDX - My thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gathermewool
I don't think any lower-trim human will ever be happy with an upper-trim anything.

And vice versa.

I love push button start. What is there to hate about it? Never drove a vehicle with DI engine but what is there to hate about that? Reliability might be a long term issue but that's to be determined.

New cars have a learning curve we didn't have before. Takes a little while to learn to change the radio station and HVAC controls.

The majority of the buying public likes the electronics. Learn to embrace it or you'll be low level trim or unhappy the rest of your life. Or driving a crown vic.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I don't think any lower-trim human will ever be happy with an upper-trim anything.
For some people, I agree. I'm not one of those. This RDX just missed the mark on many levels, and plenty of reviews confirm I'm not wrong for hating the 10-speed.
Originally Posted by Leo99
The majority of the buying public likes the electronics. Learn to embrace it or you'll be low level trim or unhappy the rest of your life. Or driving a crown vic.
I think I'll embrace the latter and be unhappy. Looking for a Vic sport next
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Char Baby

I do understand having all of the SAFETY features aboard in vehicles today as they're becoming mandatory.

I'm of the cynical opinion that more safety features create worse drivers. It breeds false confidence. Why bother paying attention when the car will do it for you?

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter

I do understand having all of the SAFETY features aboard in vehicles today as they're becoming mandatory.

I'm of the cynical opinion that more safety features create worse drivers. It breeds false confidence. Why bother paying attention when the car will do it for you?

Obviously the status quo can be improved and through technology. And eventually cars will drive themselves so no need for a long term initiative to improve drivers. Easier and more effective to improve the cars themselves.

I understand your cynicism and agree to a point that as cars have "improved" over the decades, the skills have diminished. Mostly because cars back then required much more attention from the driver just to roll down the street let alone taking an evasive maneuver. One of the things that has changed that we can all agree on is how much more distracted many drivers on the road are these days. Technology has a lot of blame here but in the end, each of us has the responsibility to drive safely. I know, tell that to the (pick a gender) texting while driving. Which brings me to my point; as much as we would love to bring instant justice to these dangerous drivers we see on the road, we can't (shouldn't). Until that day when they learn and sometimes sadly, won't, I'll want the mandatory nannies to be there and activate before they run into any of mine ot yours.

This x100000000000000000000000000

Not only that. They put all this stuff so you can more confidently text or drink your latte (or soda, depends on taste) while manufacturer provides horrid lights or tires.
I think my Sienna in 2015 was one of top safety picks. I have no idea how is that possible with these lights.
It kind of goes like: we know you will end up in accident bcs we provided bad lights, mediocre brakes and horrid tires. Once you do, feel safe in that accident.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

FCA launched a new Ram pickup for 2019. What was the big selling feature, the one that put it head-and-shoulders above the Silverado, which was also new in 2019? This monstrosity:

[Linked Image]

Yikes...

I don't mind the tech in new cars as much as I do mind the nanny beeps and collision warnings. If you do any driving in a city, the thing will just constantly beep at you.

My girlfriend has a new Buick Encore, and I actually find the tech nicely done (Apple Car play). It basically works just like an iPhone (very intuitive), and you can do voice commands to play music, navigation, etc. all hands free. The dashboard is clean and intuitive, and there are actual HVAC buttons beneath the touch screen. This to me is tasteful/good design. Some of the cars out there however just have way too many buttons. I do wonder/worry what the longevity is for some of this stuff.

Does anyone actually expect that screen shown above in the new Ram pickups to last 15-20 years without dying? Imagine all the temperature variations this thing will be exposed to (Canada/Florida) etc. How could this not die after 5-10 years?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMFan
Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

FCA launched a new Ram pickup for 2019. What was the big selling feature, the one that put it head-and-shoulders above the Silverado, which was also new in 2019? This monstrosity:

[Linked Image]

Yikes...

I don't mind the tech in new cars as much as I do mind the nanny beeps and collision warnings. If you do any driving in a city, the thing will just constantly beep at you.

My girlfriend has a new Buick Encore, and I actually find the tech nicely done (Apple Car play). It basically works just like an iPhone (very intuitive), and you can do voice commands to play music, navigation, etc. all hands free. The dashboard is clean and intuitive, and there are actual HVAC buttons beneath the touch screen. This to me is tasteful/good design. Some of the cars out there however just have way too many buttons. I do wonder/worry what the longevity is for some of this stuff.

Does anyone actually expect that screen shown above in the new Ram pickups to last 15-20 years without dying? Imagine all the temperature variations this thing will be exposed to (Canada/Florida) etc. How could this not die after 5-10 years?

There have been some teething pains (not related to the durability of the above screen) with this new system, where it may "forget" users settings and the like. That was one of the main reasons we opted for the traditional UConnect 8.4" system instead on our 2019:
[Linked Image]

Of course the side benefit of the more traditional setup is the physical controls for HVAC, as can be seen.

Regarding lifespan, while not having touch, the integrated screen on my 2001 M5 would have been around 16-17 years old when I got rid of the car and it was still working perfectly, so, properly designed, yes, they can hold up. We'll see whether they do or not of course.

They make a few basic or stripped down vehicles in cars and SUVs for the outliers like you and those few chiming in anti anything new.

However the majority of new car buying public they offer it all.

Yeah, I own two of the most stripped down cars I could find (I refuse to buy new - depreciation). I'm not anti-new for any reason other than depreciation, but I'm definitely anti-stupid. Tech has a short lifespan, most vehicles do not. The "majority" needs to wake up and realize it's dumb to heavily mix them or else the used car market 10 years from now will be worse than it is now, if that's imaginable. Just like building 50 million subdivisions with overpriced, poor build quality large homes isn't sustainable long-term. It's going to cripple the housing market once all those idiots realize they want something smaller that's affordable. Or just get tired of not being able to whisper without their neighbors hearing...

Originally Posted by tony1679
Yeah, I own two of the most stripped down cars I could find (I refuse to buy new - depreciation). I'm not anti-new for any reason other than depreciation, but I'm definitely anti-stupid. Tech has a short lifespan, most vehicles do not. The "majority" needs to wake up and realize it's dumb to heavily mix them or else the used car market 10 years from now will be worse than it is now, if that's imaginable. Just like building 50 million subdivisions with overpriced, poor build quality large homes isn't sustainable long-term. It's going to cripple the housing market once all those idiots realize they want something smaller that's affordable. Or just get tired of not being able to whisper without their neighbors hearing...

STRONGLY disagree.

The tech in my 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee is still cutting edge. Same for my 2012 370Z. I have neither car, now, as the jeep wore out at 95K miles or so, and I traded it, and the 370Z didn't suite my new living arrangement. I now have a CX5 GT Reserve, and the tech in it will be fine long after the car is worn out, I'm sure.

I had to buy new, as there are no used CX5 GT-R's in America yet. If there were, they would be selling for near what a new one would, so why? Otherwise, I agree with you, and like to buy certified same-year used cars with 10-20K on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back