Champion COS10575 & COS10590 - C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up my $1.30 Champion filters, so I decided to cut a couple open. Hybrid media, good filtering efficiency, silicon ADBV, nice basic construction, and good strong media with strong bonding. Each filter had 56 pleats.

https://fme-cat.com/livedocs/Oil Filter Sell Sheet_052317.pdf

Differences between the two; I noticed the 10575 was heavier than the 10590, which was strange considering the 10590 being a larger filter. After looking at the cut open parts, it was the baseplate. The 10575 base plate was much heavier.

COS10575: has a traditional coil spring, which directly connected to the bypass valve. The media appeared to have a slight advantage with respect to how deep the media went before hitting the centre cage.

COS10590: has a leaf spring, with a bypass valve with internal spring/design. The media was more evenly spaced vs the 10575. There was some corrosion in the bottom of the can.

They both appeared to have about the same pressure relief when I tested them with the trusty pen
grin.gif

I feel ok using these in the Cadillac for the ~5k they will see. I know I said I was done with paper filters, but I'm really starting to not care as much about this stuff as I used to. Must be the age. These are definitely an upgrade from the OEM PF64.

Enjoy the pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/io7eyrnf9zfvv76/AADWfXLholqT7xZkh7pCpMA7a?dl=0

I'll cut and paste them as they are used over the next couple of years.

Originally Posted by webfors
Each filter had 56 pleats.

Best comparison for media amount is the actual surface area. I use the formula shown below and don't have to cut the media out. Just measure the depth and length of the pleats in place and do the calculation.

The brochure says 99% efficiency, but I can't see an associated micron size. They do say tested per ISO 4548-12.

Nice C&P ... thanks.

Oil Filter Media Area Calculation.JPG

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Best comparison for media amount is the actual surface area. I use the formula shown below and don't have to cut the media out. Just measure the depth and length of the pleats in place and do the calculation.

The brochure says 99% efficiency, but I can't see an associated micron size. They do say tested per ISO 4548-12.

Nice C&P ... thanks.

Says 20 microns for cos3593a, I guess the media is the same
https://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/pa...3593A&partType=Engine%20Oil%20Filter

83200743-3226-4CD3-86DD-C076579BED8B.png

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The 10590 is on clearance at Rock Auto ( is that where you got them? )

The COS 3593A filters I got from RockAuto were $0.79 each

The COS 8A filters I got from RockAuto were $1.33 each

These are basically "Mobil 1 oil filters in a different label".

A real bargain!

I picked up my $1.30 Champion filters, so I decided to cut a couple open. Hybrid media, good filtering efficiency, silicon ADBV, nice basic construction, and good strong media with strong bonding. Each filter had 56 pleats.

Differences between the two; I noticed the 10575 was heavier than the 10590, which was strange considering the 10590 being a larger filter. After looking at the cut open parts, it was the baseplate. The 10575 base plate was much heavier.

COS10575: has a traditional coil spring, which directly connected to the bypass valve. The media appeared to have a slight advantage with respect to how deep the media went before hitting the centre cage.

COS10590: has a leaf spring, with a bypass valve with internal spring/design. The media was more evenly spaced vs the 10575. There was some corrosion in the bottom of the can.

They both appeared to have about the same pressure relief when I tested them with the trusty pen
grin.gif

I feel ok using these in the Cadillac for the ~5k they will see. I know I said I was done with paper filters, but I'm really starting to not care as much about this stuff as I used to. Must be the age. These are definitely an upgrade from the OEM PF64.

Enjoy the pics:

Good pics and I like the flannel pajama pants
wink.gif

Thanks for c&p sir
smile.gif

These are basically "Mobil 1 oil filters in a different label". A real bargain!

They are a bargain-but, until we know who actually made them, I wouldn't go so far as "basically Mobil 1". These are similar to AZ STP XL & Maximum Life filters, they look pretty good, but we really don't know bupkis about the manufacturer-unlike Champion Labs.

Nice C&P ... thanks.

Measurements in cm:

COS10575: 5.6 (P) x 2 x 1.2 (D) x 8.0 (L) =107.52
COS10590: 5.6 (P) x 2 x 1.1 (D) x 9.3 (L) = 114.58

Looks like the COS10590 is the winner by approximately 6.2% more media.

How do these measurements stand up to other filters?

And I played with the ADBV on both a little more. The 10590 definitely has a higher bypass. It took more pressure to open.

Also, after further inspection, the 10575 ADBV spring is *not* attached to main coil spring. You can pull the main spring off the baseplate.

So if you have the room, which I do, the 10590 appears to be the better choice for the ATS. Unfortunately I bought double of the 10575
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The 10590 is on clearance at Rock Auto ( is that where you got them? )

Yes sir.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

grin.gif

Enjoy the pics:

Good pics and I like the flannel pajama pants
wink.gif

Thanks for c&p sir
smile.gif

I could wear them all day if I was allowed
grin.gif

Originally Posted by SlavaB

Nice C&P ... thanks.

Thanks. Looks like pretty good specs! These are really well made IMO. Reminds me of the good ol' Purolator days, when they didn't tear and everyone loved them.

Originally Posted by SlavaB

Nice C&P ... thanks.

Yeah, 99% @ 20 microns for both at these links:

https://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/pa...10575&partType=Engine%20Oil%20Filter
https://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/pa...10590&partType=Engine%20Oil%20Filter

Measurements in cm:

Looks like you're off by 10 times - you used 5.6 pleats instead of 56.

1075 sq-cm = 166.6 sq-in.

That's a pretty good amount of media area.

Measurements in cm:

Looks like you're off by 10 times - you used 5.6 pleats instead of 56.

1075 sq-cm = 166.6 sq-in.

That's a pretty good amount of media area.

Doh!

Corrected calculations:
COS10575: 5.6 (P) x 2 x 1.2 (D) x 8.0 (L) =1075.20 cm squared = 166.7 inches squared
COS10590: 5.6 (P) x 2 x 1.1 (D) x 9.3 (L) = 1145.76 cm squared = 177.9 inches squared

Now that we know the media area, what are the chances this won't flow well enough to make GM's 22psi bypass requirement a moot point.

Another thing I thought of recently, with the sudden increase in bypass specs, could this be related in some way to auto stop/start technology that has made its' way into every car?

Now that we know the media area, what are the chances this won't flow well enough to make GM's 22psi bypass requirement a moot point.

Hard to say how these filters flow without actual "flow vs delta-p" test data. But since they are synthetic blend media and have a prettly large area, I'd say that they would flow very well. Changes of them bypassing is probably pretty remote under normal use conditions.

Tried to buy champion oil filters but got this automatic response from RockAuto website:
"Part # COSXXXX cannot ship to California because we do not have documentation required by Proposition 65 from CHAMPION FILTER. Please choose a different brand.

I guess Champioon oil filters are not to be sold in California.

Originally Posted by thrace
Tried to buy champion oil filters but got this automatic response from RockAuto website:
"Part # COSXXXX cannot ship to California because we do not have documentation required by Proposition 65 from CHAMPION FILTER. Please choose a different brand.

I guess Champioon oil filters are not to be sold in California.

No I think the deal is that they got it without the original package and documentation, hence they can't provide info regarding prop 65 to the government.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back