Amusing TMPS observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
This happened yesterday when I was leaving work.

Background info pertinent to what transpired:
- FCA TMPS is "self learning". New sensors only need to be on the vehicle for a period for the vehicle to auto-learn their location and present the pressure data
- I don't run TMPS sensors in my winter wheels

So, I end up behind a 2019 Grand Cherokee for quite a stint; probably a good 5-10 minutes. My (lacking sensors) SRT picks up the sensors in this Jeep. I get its tire pressures in my cluster. When I parked it of course could no longer find them so now it is doing the whole start of winter "I don't have sensors" thing again, so I have to wait for that to complete and then it will stop bothering me with the alert.

Guess that's an unspoken caveat of a system that self-learns: If it doesn't have its own sensors, it'll associate with others that are in proximity for a long enough duration
lol.gif

TPMS is nothing but an over-reaction to the whole Ford/Firestone tire issue. I check my tires at least once every oil change, if not more. TPMS is just another among a suite of unnecessary "safety" systems that no one needed for 60 years and don't need now.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
TPMS is nothing but an over-reaction to the whole Ford/Firestone tire issue. I check my tires at least once every oil change, if not more. TPMS is just another among a suite of unnecessary "safety" systems that no one needed for 60 years and don't need now.

Given how simple the Chrysler system is, it really is a bit of a convenience where I can check my pressure driving down the road rather than pulling the gauge out of the glove box and checking them all.

its nice if you pick up a nail. Saved me once.. I was down to 14psi in 5min trip home from barber.

Originally Posted by Rand
its nice if you pick up a nail. Saved me once.. I was down to 14psi in 5min trip home from barber.

Same here. I check tire pressure often, but I had it happen in the Impala once. I was on my way home from shopping and got the warning. Made it home and checked the tire and sure enough there was a screw in it.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Respectfully disagree. As some of the other posters have already indicated, this system in particular, offers actual, real-world, value added for the owner (as opposed to mere CYA for the manufacturer). It's so much better to get a useful early warning of a leaking tire, instead of figuring it out when you hear and feel the "flop-flop-flop" of the flat.

Does anybody's tire pressure gauge match the TPM's??? I have a liquid filled $60 gauge.....3 lbs low. My $2 pencil gauge is 2lbs low.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Does anybody's tire pressure gauge match the TPM's??? I have a liquid filled $60 gauge.....3 lbs low. My $2 pencil gauge is 2lbs low.

TPMS in my Charger reads about 1-2 PSI high.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Good grief how did I ever get along without these for almost 60 years of driving
cheers3.gif

TPMS was a response to the Ford Firestone tire fiasco. People were driving around on underinflated tires and the tires themselves weren't constructed well enough.

Last edited:

Nope.

Yes, my Snap-On gauge aligns quite well with my TPMS readings.

On both of my Chevy's the TPMS reads about .5 - 1 psi lower than my digital and analog Accutire gauges.

Originally Posted by oldmaninsc
Originally Posted by Rand

Same here. I check tire pressure often, but I had it happen in the Impala once. I was on my way home from shopping and got the warning. Made it home and checked the tire and sure enough there was a screw in it.
Same happened to me. TPMS is great.
I would add a "yellow warning pressure" that is at a higher pressure than the one warning we get, although one would need to be even careful to put in enough pressure to avoid those cold nights when the tires pressure sags way low.....

And overkill's point about having the reading right on the dash is good when a car does that. A lot of Fords don't, GM likes to put in right on the dash.

Last year when I switched from the TPMS-free Winter tire wheels to my All Seasons with TPMS, my Corolla went a month with the TPMS alert light on before it recognized its old sensors again.

This year the alert light went out after a day. I also learned about the TPMS reset button, but never got a chance to try it.

I like pushing a button and seeing the tire pressure. Sure beats walking around to each tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back