home well pump pressure switch q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello bobbers!

My shallow well jet pump is giving me fits. Pressure switch seems recalcitrant.

When the pump runs, it gets up to 67 PSI then kinda stalls there.

When it shuts off, it takes a long time, of dispensing lower and lower pressures, before kicking in.

Took the pressure switch apart, it seems obstinate. And the contacts are kind of arc'd. I can work it by hand. I've monkeyed with the spring preloads but it doesn't help any-- the thing "trips" when it wants to.

Obviously, getting a new switch. My question though, is is 67 PSI about the most you can get from a jet pump? Is it reasonable for it to "stall" at that point? I don't know if my impeller's worn or ???

It's on older cast iron Goulds pump with a 1/3 hp 110V motor. Water table is 15-20 feet down. It's spring after a decent rainfall winter. Have a 20 gal air bladder tank.

I don't *want* the 67 PSI... switches are 30/50 for my 2-story house and that's what I'm hoping to achieve.

Just trying to get a basis of fact here.

A 20 gallon pressure tank is really small. Is that number right?

In my old house I had a 150 gallon bladder tank.

Consider a new switch. Our deep well runs down to about 45 and then goes to 60-65 or so and shuts off. I had a lot of fun last year with the pressure switch acting funky. Replaced it and all has been "well" since!

Last edited:
Yes a single stage jet pump will stall around 70 psi. Your switch should cut it off well before that. Replace the switch. 30/50 is a good setting. Some people like the higher pressure of a 40/60 but that is running a single stage pump into a region where it is not efficient.

An important setup is that the air pressure in the tank (when empty) being slightly less than the switch turn-on pressure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino
Hello bobbers!

When the pump runs, it gets up to 67 PSI then kinda stalls there.

.My question though, is is 67 PSI about the most you can get from a jet pump? Is it reasonable for it to "stall" at that point? I don't know if my impeller's worn or ???

It's on older cast iron Goulds pump with a 1/3 hp 110V motor. Water table is 15-20 feet down. It's spring after a decent rainfall winter.

From my experience with shallow well jet pumps is that you shouldn't expect a lot of pressure. stalling at 67 psi sounds pretty reasonable and i doubt the impeller is worn. We use a shallow well jet pump with a water table real close to yours, in our case the pressure will stall around 60 psi. For pressure we shoot for 30/50 and works well between those pressures.

30/50 is the norm and typical for shallow wells.

I've had switches fail both ways low and high, and when the high side fails, our psi stalls out just under 70 psi. And the pump runs, and runs, and runs...

The pump may be unable to produce much, if any "flow" at 67 PSI.

I'd guess your "off" setting should be lower.

I use a "CSV" or cycle stop valve. It keeps the pump running, and pressure steady, at most common flow rates. From a trickle to full open. Some interesting reading here: https://cyclestopvalves.com/

It allows the use of a very small expansion tank, and prevents the constant on-off-on-off cycle that I find annoying.

Also, the air pressure in your tank should be set just below the switch's "on" value.

NOTE: a CSV is not for everyone. But it's a great choice for those with modest pressure jet pumps and small tanks. As it prevents the pressure from constantly dropping to the pump "ON" setting. They are about $65-$125 depending on quality and size. Quote: "The beauty of this is that the customer sets the valve at the required outgoing pressure, and that's where it stays"

Last edited:
Does the gauge go to 0 draining system, needle sweep smoothly if not gauge is bad. Do you have the model of the pump then can get max pressure or shut off ( max pressure with discharge valved off ) pressure of it.

Well, that was a nightmare.
mad.gif

The gauge, being a dead-end in the pipe, was clogged, and the fitting going to it was corroded. I tapped it to see "what's up" and the thing popped off, exposing my 3/4" opening to the floor two feet above it. 67 PSI and 20 gallons geysered on up.

Also clogged was the 1/4" NPT- to 1/4" compression fitting at the bottom of the motor, (not) giving the signal to the switch, which may have been good after all.

The most minor messing with it cracked the copper line to the switch.

Arrgh. Let's rebuild everything. Cut the pipe to the air tank (and rest of the house), spun the tee off, replaced that, replaced the gauge, spliced the cut pipe with a shark bite union (worth its $16 many times over), drilled out the clogged adapter, replaced the 1/4" copper gauge line with an "ice maker hook up" braided line.

With a new gauge, presumably accurate, I discovered the max I can make is 58 PSI, so I set the switch to 56 and am bathing in my Poland Spring quality groundwater again!

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
The pump may be unable to produce much, if any "flow" at 67 PSI.

I'd guess your "off" setting should be lower.

I use a "CSV" or cycle stop valve. It keeps the pump running, and pressure steady, at most common flow rates. From a trickle to full open. Some interesting reading here: https://cyclestopvalves.com/

It allows the use of a very small expansion tank, and prevents the constant on-off-on-off cycle that I find annoying.

Also, the air pressure in your tank should be set just below the switch's "on" value.

NOTE: a CSV is not for everyone. But it's a great choice for those with modest pressure jet pumps and small tanks. As it prevents the pressure from constantly dropping to the pump "ON" setting. They are about $65-$125 depending on quality and size. Quote: "The beauty of this is that the customer sets the valve at the required outgoing pressure, and that's where it stays"

I have a CSV on my boost pump that supplies my house. It works great.
My pump is at the bottom of the hill my house is on. It's set to maintain 60 psi which gives me 45 psi at the house.

Good job on the repair! Nice pics!

15-20 feet is really shallow, hence the jet pump. I've only seen a few of them in my day.

Before my dad's foot valve went and he converted to a modern well pump in the well he was using a Jet Pump and his was set to 40/60. He had originally a 20 gallon bladder tank when he moved in and we added an additional 40 gallon tank to allow the pump to cycle less often. We also added a booster pump to the line that had a flow switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back