Havoline Smart Change Box - 6 qts

Status
Not open for further replies.
danez_yoda said:
I like it but is it really more ECO friendly than a 6 qt JUG? How much less plastic is there in the bag liner then a typical jug? maybe 50% but how much does that cardboard box cost in terms of tree material?

Richard throwing both the box and bag in the recycle bin reminds me, aren't the oil jugs recyclable?

My walmart takes full used oil jugs and will keep them. Coulnd't they throw them in a recycle bin or does the oil contaminate them?

I’m convinced it is. The cardboard is likely from recycled materials already. If it is it might say so on the box. The jugs are made from recycled plastic but I doubt they can be returned to the recycle with the oil coating the surface. There has to be less plastic in the bladder than the jug.

So similar to the 26 qt Eco-pac for oil change places.

When I had the 26 qt box, I transfered it to a few clean and empty 5 qt jugs I had.

A 6 qt box would work for my truck (takes 6 qts) and for my car that takes only 4, well, not that hard to measure out 4 qts and save the rest.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Last time I was at Walmart all the Havoline jugs had been replaced with the six quart boxes. $13.97 for six quarts of oil is a good buy.

Sure is I would have jumped on some of that if it was DSPro synthetic.

Last edited:
As everything comes full circle, this is the modern version of the old cardboard cans minus the need for a oil spout.

It was regular conventional. I think the high mileage blend was only like $14.17 or 77...my Walmarts have really never carried Havoline synthetic. I can't remember if they had any or not.

Wow ......great for my 06 Mustang hold 6 quarts. I was in wally world last week and did not see any.It seems they are streamlining the product range to just a few. RP is gone now ....no Havoline etc.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
No thanks i prefer quarts and gallon containers.

Same here.

This is a good deal, especially if you need more than 5 Qts. If you don't, you have some for top-off or the next change. There is a measuring window on side, so you have to do a little reading on the package.

Paper companies pay for used cardboard as it is easy and cheap to recycle, but it has to be clean (you can't recycle a greasy pizza box either). So if part of it gets oily, tear it off and recycle the rest.

Most plastic is not recycled, and oil jugs are at the bottom of the list as they have to be washed first. Too expensive versus new plastic so not economical.

Have a blessed day!

Just did my first oil change using this today. I like it. I have been using Havoline High Mileage in both of my vehicles for the past few years and the new Smart Change box works perfectly for me as they both take 6qts. When I was done I threw away a small deflated oil container and flattened the cardboard box and stuck it in the recycle bin. Nice.

Today's service was on my 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland with the 4.7HO and 199,812miles. I used 10W30 as that is what it calls for and the 4.7HO was never back spec'd for 5W20 like the other 4.7's. I only change the oil once a year as I do under 5K with it. I usually use a Mopar filter but today I screwed on a Fram Pro Synthetic FPS16 I got from Rock Auto for like $2.54 with my last order (bought 3 so I'm good for a few years lol). The other vehicle I will be using the Smart Change box on is my 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara with the 2.5L V6. It also takes 6qts. I run the Havoline HM 5W30 in that for between 5-6K with a Mahle filter. Uses just under a half a quart on that interval with 273K on the engine. Still gets 24mpg around town (5sp manual).

I like Havoline and I'm glad they came out with this. I hope it sticks around.

Saw these just today. I have two vehicles that take 6 quarts each. Once I use up my oil stock, I will probably switch to these. But I'm going to be good for 2-3 years with my current stash.

Just bought (3) 5w-30 and (1) 5w-20 Pro Ds 6 Qt. Smart Change Boxes @ Walmart. Great oil @ $19.97. Will be using this oil (as a blend 2 1/2 Qt. 5w-30 & 1 1/2 Qt. 5w-20) in the Rogue Sport in the future. (Recommends 0w-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back