Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled across two 5 quart jugs of Valvoline Modern Engine 0w20 at Wallyworld on clearance for 17 bucks each, so I bought them. It will be my next oil change for my 3.8 Jeep or Ford F150. I don't know much about this oil, but I'd imagine it is pretty good stuff.

How does it stack up to other oils, such as Mobil 1 EP or AP, or Pennzoil Platinum? Have users had good UOA's with it? I'd have gone with 5w30 for my Ecoboost, but I had just changed its oil with M1EP.

It should be fine, and IIRC is what your Wrangler 2018 Wrangler calls for. Looking at your fleet I'd probably use it in that.

I am curious about the same thing.

Wouldn't it shock everyone to find it was all just a low-SAPS Group III with NO ESTER and next to zero PAO in it?
crackmeup2.gif
laugh.gif
lol.gif

It appears to be a discontinued item that's probably not built any better than Quaker State Ultimate Durability at $19. So you did OK, but nothing great in your good deals search.
The new reformulated Valvoline Advanced Synthetic has a more stout add-pack BTW.... at $22. I like it and Castrol Black Edge the best, in my search for what to use in my new GDI engine. Mobil-1 EP would be my #1, but I'm not paying that higher price for 5K OCIs.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
It should be fine, and IIRC is what your Wrangler 2018 Wrangler calls for. Looking at your fleet I'd probably use it in that.

Actually, I'm going to run it in the 08 Wrangler, most likely, or the F150. They both spec 5w20. The new one specs 0w20 and just got a new jug of PPU.

Last edited:
I have it in my Elantra and so far so good. My engine was always noisy when cold start and the Modern Engine quieted that substantially. I also got mine on clearance, $5 a quart. I cleared them out.

Originally Posted by IndyFan

Actually, I'm going to run it in the 08 Wrangler, most likely, or the F150. They both spec 5w20. The new one specs 0w20 and just got a new jug of PPU.

I gotcha. I would have run 5W30 in those, especially the 08 Wrangler.
27.gif
Either way you'll be fine.
wink.gif

I gotcha. I would have run 5W30 in those, especially the 08 Wrangler.
27.gif
Either way you'll be fine.
wink.gif

I agree, and usually I do. However, they only had 5w20 on hand and both run the same on 5w20 as they do any other weight.

I used to see this oil at Walmart, it was pretty pricey and looked like it was a gimmicky Valvoline thing, with a nice fancy bottle and claims that it was designed for direct injection engines. At whatever price point it used to be I never considered it simply because Valvoline always uses the sodium over the moly in their mixes, but at $17 bucks? Seems like a good deal.

I think all these 0W20 Dexos approved group lll synthetics are very similar and probably not worth spending more for one over the other. I'd throw the low priced Super Tech into that catergory too. And now we have the mysterious Rotella Truck 0W20 added to the competition (but at least that has a very high moly count). And I don't no know what my infatuation is...how it got there...when it's going to leave. I thought I had gotten over it a year ago, but I'm creeping it again...

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Valvoline, fine oil, just as good as any other.

Yes and that's why I'll pay $22.97 for it when it on the $10 rebate a jug.

Me too Johnny.
Mobil-1 should have a rebate offer coming soon also.

My last two Pennzoil Platinum purchases cost me $13 per jug after $10 rebate, which I received in the mail seven weeks after purchase. That's the only time I buy Mobil-1 EP..... for about $18 (five quart jug) after rebate.

They have a bunch of single quarts of ME 0w20 on the clearance shelf, but it is still showing at $10.97 on the scanner. I was told it may go to $3 a quart. If so, and I'm able to snag it, it will be the next fill for my JL, 4500 miles from now.

They have a bunch of single quarts of ME 0w20 on the clearance shelf, but it is still showing at $10.97 on the scanner. I was told it may go to $3 a quart. If so, and I'm able to snag it, it will be the next fill for my JL, 4500 miles from now.

That's very easy to deal with you take it to the checkout counter. If it rings up and the clearance shelf price you buy it. If it doesn't they get to keep it. I had some Castrol Gold Jug I snagged off the clearance shelf for $17 a Jug it went home with me. I fact it was the oil I just posted on here this last week on my UOA.

It's funny....when I joined this site many were slamming Valvoline for it's "weak additive package".
Now it seems to be highly respected.
I would use the VME if I got it on 'Clearance' but I wouldn't pay full price because I think it's just a low calcium, no sodium synthetic (probably Group III)
Valvoline doesn't tout it as an extended drain oil like Mobil1 AP....which was also quite pricey at it's introduction...

Originally Posted by pbm

It's funny....when I joined this site many were slamming Valvoline for it's "weak additive package".
Now it seems to be highly respected.
I would use the VME if I got it on 'Clearance' but I wouldn't pay full price because I think it's just a low calcium, no sodium synthetic (probably Group III)
Valvoline doesn't tout it as an extended drain oil like Mobil1 AP....which was also quite pricey at it's introduction...

True, but if it works well in your engine, why not? The Pentastar and my 3.8 are both very easy on oil. The 3.8 especially, because it goes through enough that it always has fresh oil being added. Lol! I can't go past 6k on that one, anyway, due to the lifetime warranty. The JL will go 5 to 7k, which shouldn't be a problem for this oil, either.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Me too Johnny.
Mobil-1 should have a rebate offer coming soon also.

My last two Pennzoil Platinum purchases cost me $13 per jug after $10 rebate, which I received in the mail seven weeks after purchase. That's the only time I buy Mobil-1 EP..... for about $18 (five quart jug) after rebate.

I just did the Pennzoil rebate too, received the check in about three weeks. I was surprised - as the Mobil 1 rebates usually take months - but I'll jump on board when Mobil does their rebate...might give the EP a try

Originally Posted by wemay
Some folks don't want to go through the extra step of rebates.

LOL just like a bunch of them don't want to go through the extra step of DIY oil changes?

Originally Posted by Railrust
I used to see this oil at Walmart, it was pretty pricey and looked like it was a gimmicky Valvoline thing, with a nice fancy bottle and claims that it was designed for direct injection engines. At whatever price point it used to be I never considered it simply because Valvoline always uses the sodium over the moly in their mixes, but at $17 bucks? Seems like a good deal.

I think all these 0W20 Dexos approved group lll synthetics are very similar and probably not worth spending more for one over the other. I'd throw the low priced Super Tech into that catergory too. And now we have the mysterious Rotella Truck 0W20 added to the competition (but at least that has a very high moly count). And I don't no know what my infatuation is...how it got there...when it's going to leave. I thought I had gotten over it a year ago, but I'm creeping it again...

Valvoline does not use sodium as a dispersant in SN+ or D1G2 formulas and molybdenum is a friction modifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back