I *HATE* all the internet spying

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I made a suggestion on where to buy a 150 piece assortment (from Harb Frt) of hairpins on this thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5058002/re-where-can-i-buy-one-of-these

I wasn't even logged into BITOG while reading the news, and THIS annoying ad pops up!

It makes me want to BOYCOTT AMAZON

hairpins.jpg

Blame the cookies. Ghostery works great at blocking them, throw Adblock on top of it and you've got a great combo.

Walmart and google are just as bad! I have stopped using The google most of the time because they are helping a foreign advisory and keep your info forever.

You can use Duckduckgo. E-commerce is based on Amazon and Google knowing what you eat, what brand of toilet paper you use, and where you're thinking of vacationing. Doesn't bother me unless they overload my browser with popup ads. They give you free stuff, they know your life. That's the trade off. Box retailing is kicking the bucket, so this IS the future.

Question-- Was Amazon cheaper than Harbor Freight. If so, you learned that you can save money. If not, it reinforces the fact that HF was the way to go.

Last edited:
Honestly, with facial recognition on every street corner (some countries and coming to a street corner near you soon), it's not worth the bother.

Yes, those of you who have heard me rally about the surveillance state against those who claim that if you've got nothing to hide, there's nothing to worry about...i haven't turned...it's impossible to beat bar a self sufficient shack in the woods with a heat signature.

I have stories about Amazon Basics motor oil showing up in the Huffington Post app!

Originally Posted by csandste

Question-- Was Amazon cheaper than Harbor Freight. If so, you learned that you can save money. If not, it reinforces the fact that HF was the way to go.

The 150pcs hairpin kit from Harbor Freight is $7.49
The "sponsored" one in the image above frm AMZN is $10

That's nothing. What about when you're talking about something obscure and an ad shows up.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
What's scary is when yo google yourself....

Nothing really.....

- - just my amateur radio call sign and "engagement photos" of me with my now ex-wife

You know it's probably not Amazon that actually does the data collection right? It's probably another company (like Google) that actually does the data collection and then the recommendation and actually serving up the ads (through their DoubleClick/Google Marketing Platform).

Companies like Amazon just pay Google to advertise their stuff. Even a mom and pop can pay Google to advertise their stuff for them.

Heh, I've given up caring. It's sometimes comical. I might shop for an auto part for a day or two, then buy. Then every place I go is an ad for a rotor or whatever. Right on top of that targeted advertising they are.

You think that's bad....

I was out on the airport ramp, (outside) talking to a friend about the fact that when I turned 50, I realized that I had made a mistake by not having children. Friend suggested adoption and that I am am still young enough. (I'm not, and my health is not good)

In any case, not only did I immediately get embedded "adoption" ads on the forums I visit, but my home computer and my WIFE'S gaming PC did too.

My phone was listening, and targeted ads were sent. Those ads, carefully engineered to tug at the heartstrings, with pictures of cute kids, just a little dirt on their faces, etc.

Creepy and amazing at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back