Mann Oil filter voids Bmw warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as it is the correct filter, installed correctly and not failed (in which case Mann should be on the hook) you shouldn't have any issues.

Agreed on the not volunteering. Just act like you're talking to the cops, listen closely to the question and answer Yes/No questions Yes/No...

Mann wouldn't dare make a filter that didn't work on BMW. They are both companies in Germany. They work with BMW.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Normally I hate when people cite the Magnusson-Moss act because it's usually about how they did some ghetto mod and then wonder why things went sideways.

In this case this is exactly what it's for.

Yep, right on
thumbsup2.gif

Ask a BMW parts dept for a filter and see what it is. It may be a Mann with BMW written on it. Ask them who are the different makers for the filter. Compare it to what you have been buying. A car maker should foolproof any filter changes so the wrong one won't even fit in the canister.
49.gif

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Mann wouldn't dare make a filter that didn't work on BMW. They are both companies in Germany. They work with BMW.

That isn't to say that there might not be any differences. There could be different materials, different design, etc.

It's well known that several of the big US filter manufacturers make OEM filters, but their aftermarket ones are often made with different materials. Most notably is the difference between spin-on filters that use P-type gaskets as specified by the OEM vs cut tube gaskets. I've seen quite a few where the can thickness of the OEM version was greater.

Not sure what Mann does though with their aftermarket filters compared to OEM.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
And reading here there are a lot of people who deliberately choose an "incorrect" filter. Possibly based on the notion that a bigger filter with more media surface area will be bigger. Or a larger can might increase oil capacity. I get the idea that bigger is better, but it seems kind of excessive.

With the spin-on oil filters, if it mechanically fits, including the holes and gasket, there is no such thing as a bigger oil filter being incorrect. Someone posted on BITOG that the oil-pressure setting for the bypass valve in the aftermarket oil filter was smaller than for the ones in tiny Subaru OEM oil filters, hence incorrect, but that's utter nonsense. The pressure for the oil-filter bypass valve is determined by the oil-filter media (type and size), not the engine.

For my engine, Toyota originally used an oil filter about the same size as what I call oversized Fram Ultra XG3600 installed now. Purolator's standard L22821 oil filter for it, now discontinued, was also pretty big. Later, Toyota chose to cut the waste and cost and they went with one-size-fits-all tiny 90915-YZZF2 for most of their cars.

The only reason why Subaru uses a tiny oil filter for your engine is to cut the waste and cost. It's not because they are trying to optimize the oil filtration. I encourage you to upgrade to a more efficient and larger if possible aftermarket oil filter.

With the cartridge oil filters, the cartridge may be of the incorrect type, such as missing the protrusion piece. That will cause engine damage. See my previous post.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
And reading here there are a lot of people who deliberately choose an "incorrect" filter. Possibly based on the notion that a bigger filter with more media surface area will be bigger. Or a larger can might increase oil capacity. I get the idea that bigger is better, but it seems kind of excessive.

With the spin-on oil filters, if it mechanically fits, including the holes and gasket, there is no such thing as a bigger oil filter being incorrect. Someone posted on BITOG that the oil-pressure setting for the bypass valve in the aftermarket oil filter was smaller than for the ones in tiny Subaru OEM oil filters, hence incorrect, but that's utter nonsense. The pressure for the oil-filter bypass valve is determined by the oil-filter media (type and size), not the engine.

For my engine, Toyota originally used an oil filter about the same size as what I call oversized Fram Ultra XG3600 installed now. Purolator's standard L22821 oil filter for it, now discontinued, was also pretty big. Later, Toyota chose to cut the waste and cost and they have gone with one-size-fits-all tiny 90915-YZZF2 for most of their cars.

The only reason why Subaru uses a tiny oil filter for your engine is to cut the waste and cost. It's not because they are trying to optimize the oil filtration. I encourage you to upgrade to a more efficient and larger if possible aftermarket oil filter.

With cartridge oil filters, the cartridge may be of the incorrect type, such as missing the protrusion piece. That will cause engine damage. See my previous post.

No. Before this Subaru was using a larger oil filter. The OEM version sold in the US was made by Purolator - the one in the white can where I found a photo. They decided on the smaller filter with the same 23 PSI bypass spec. The reason was to give a little more clearance from the exhaust components that literally surround the filter. That smaller filter is actually more expensive. Subaru considered them interchangeable, although the smaller one was preferred for the turbo models. As far as I know, the Wix 57712 is the only aftermarket filter with the 23 PSI spec other than the OE-style aftermarket wholesalers like Beck-Arnley. Wix recommends that small one even though Subaru had a bigger OEM can with the same bypass spec.

Not that Subaru filters are germane to the present question, but if the filter isn't cataloged for the vehicle it is the wrong filter as far as the manufacturer and the filter manufacturer are concerned. You'll likely be on your own, at best the burden of proof shifts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Not that Subaru filters are germane to the present question, but if the filter isn't cataloged for the vehicle it is the wrong filter as far as the manufacturer and the filter manufacturer are concerned. You'll likely be on your own, at best the burden of proof shifts.

The vehicle manufacturer and the filter manufacturer are going to be a doing an interesting dance trying to shift blame. But as I noted, provided the user actually selects a filter recommended by the filter manufacturer for the specific vehicle, they'll typically back up the user. With attorneys if needed.

The vehicle manufacturer and the filter manufacturer are going to be a doing an interesting dance trying to shift blame. But as I noted, provided the user actually selects a filter recommended by the filter manufacturer for the specific vehicle, they'll typically back up the user. With attorneys if needed.

OMG...there is ZERO reason to think there's a problem with the filter or that BMW gives a crap and yet the theoreticals keep coming.

Here are the facts of my life. I put whatever oil I please in my cars and I look up which oil filter my car needs in the catalog and install it and my cars run fine and my life goes on and I don't obsess about hypothetical situations that haven't been brought up by the dealership and most likely never will.

Anyone entertaining this needs to get a grip!

I used to work at a BMW dealer, and about the only time I saw issues with warranty coverage was in situations where piggyback or flash tunes were installed. The "money shift"- e.g., causing a mechanical over rev when grabbing second in a manual when going for third was also not covered.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

OMG...there is ZERO reason to think there's a problem with the filter or that BMW gives a crap and yet the theoreticals keep coming.

Here are the facts of my life. I put whatever oil I please in my cars and I look up which oil filter my car needs in the catalog and install it and my cars run fine and my life goes on and I don't obsess about hypothetical situations that haven't been brought up by the dealership and most likely never will.

Anyone entertaining this needs to get a grip!
And I would add, if the dang thing blows up, I guess I'm putting an engine in it! Hasn't happened yet!

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
BITOG....home of the paranoid. This scenario would never even cross my mind because it's crazy....assuming you bought the correct oil filter which you can check right now then there's lots of causes for your engine issues.

Nowhere does it say you must use an OEM filter and my guess is 80%+ of all filters sold are after market.

Indeed the funniest post was advising this would involve lawyers.

requiring a certain part means it must be given to you FREE. as noted you only need to meet the required specs, good luck + relax.

smirk2.gif
ok, smokem if u gotta, wait for the BMW brain surgeon to make an analysis and we will all sleep better, I hope....I gotta go to the bathroommmm

Originally Posted by ammolab
Not likely an issue if it is the proper Mann filter for your car....
+1 This is the answer to the question. As long as the filter used is the correct Mann listed filter, then you are covered. At the very least by the filter manufacturer warranty. Of course that assumes that it was installed properly and at vehicle specified intervals.

If Mann is the oem manufacturer as stated, all the better here.

All that said, wouldn't assume what is going to be found or that it's necessarily for the worst.

Nothing against Mann, but no one should hold their breath thinking an aftermarket parts producer is going to step up to the plate for you, especially involving their lawyers.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
If Mann is the oem manufacturer as stated, all the better here.

BMW could claim that their OEM filters, while possibly made by Mann, are "different" and unique from other Mann filters. Mann might not be able to say otherwise due to contracts, NDAs, etc.

I've never understood why owners don't use the OEM filter. Trying to save $.15 per filter change I guess. I too used non-OEM for a while but after trouble with a Fram filter I changed to OEM and never was sorry.

Originally Posted by ffhdriver
I've never understood why owners don't use the OEM filter. Trying to save $.15 per filter change I guess. I too used non-OEM for a while but after trouble with a Fram filter I changed to OEM and never was sorry.

Because what is OEM? It often changes with each new contract. Ford for example uses mutiple filter manufacturers one from the factory and another for Motorcraft.

Some of you are too funny! More hypotheticals about whether to not third party lawyers will stand behaving their product. People suggesting the OEM filter is only type you are truly safe using. Even mock arguments about what the lawyers will or won't try to claim in court. WE DON'T HAVE THE SLIGHTEST INKING THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE FILTER!

Please someone post an entire opening argument...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back