2004 WRX 5-sp needs new gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while. Almost 160k on the clock now. The tranny was rebuilt at around 90K miles to replace the broken reverse idler gear, which freakishly cracked when I stalled in reverse years ago when I forgot to put it in neutral before or after starting. The rebuilder couldn't find a used tranny back then and then rebuilt it. He told me "straight gears aren't supposed to break". Not sure what he used as fluid, but he could have probably gotten some Subaru Extra S from what I understand.

In the past I tried a variety of different fluids. The first was Red Line 75W90NS. Shifts were pretty good, but later I switched to Motul Gear 300. I'm generally not one to use Red Line or Motul motor oils because of the price, but for a transmission I don't freak out at the price.

I'm thinking Gear 300 again, but the prices seem to have shot up. I haven't bought gear oil in over a decade. I understand that with Extra S no longer available, many don't seem to recommend the current Subaru gear oil made by Idemitsu.

The other thing is that I can't find that T-60 Torx bit that I used to take off the drain bolt years ago. The first time I saw it I was thinking what the.....

If you liked the Redline NS, keep using it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Loi
I always use Motul Gear 300 75w90 on all STI 6 speeds and WRX 5 speeds.

+1, On my own Subaru STI I use Gear 300 as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back