Mann Oil filter voids Bmw warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys ever since I started using mann oil filter over genuine filter the engine seemed much quieter so I kept using them but recently my bmw started to make a ticking noise when accelerating from a stop. Took my car to the dealer as it's still under factory warranty and they couldn't find the cause so now there having a rep from bmw come and make a decision on weather I need an engine replacement. Mann is suppose to be oem for bmw if Im not mistaken but can it be possible due to the filter not being genuine bmw I get red flaggged and warranty voids? Thanks..

Hey, yes it's the correct filter I just have a strange feeling if I do need an engine replacement there just going to use the filter as a cause and deny warranty.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by AMGTHIS
Hey, yes it's the correct filter I just have a strange feeling if I do need an engine replacement there just going to use the filter as a cause and deny warranty.
frown.gif

Well you're not dealing with Hyundai so assuming you have all the records you need I would imagine you will be fine. Plus who knows what is actually wrong at this point.

It depends on what happens. And when it gets complex expect attorneys to be involved.

You'll often see something like "Vehicle warranties remain in effect when installed in accordance with vehicle manufacturer's recommendations." What it means that if the filter is functioning properly, chosen in accordance with the filter maker's recommendations, you stay within the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations for OCI/filter change interval, and the filter doesn't fail, there's no legal excuse for the vehicle manufacturer to deny an engine warranty claim. That doesn't mean they won't try if they think they can get away with it.

Now if something is off, then it could get interesting. The most obvious would be if the filter is properly installed and then fails, whether it's the media disintegrating, the can/cartridge bursts, or the like. If it's improperly installed, the filter manufacturer and the vehicle maker will probably cite that. But there have been cases where filter makers have paid for repairs or even new engines because of a clear defect of the filter. If it's a completely different filter that the filter maker doesn't spec for that vehicle, that could be interesting.

For the most part, I wouldn't worry about using a properly specified oil filter. I've used any number of different aftermarket oil filters during and after the powertrain warranty. They rarely fail, and it would exceedingly difficult for a vehicle manufacturer to prove that an aftermarket filter was the cause of a failure unless it's something obvious.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
frown.gif

Well you're not dealing with Hyundai so assuming you have all the records you need I would imagine you will be fine. Plus who knows what is actually wrong at this point.

I use aftermarket filters all the time and the dealerships plus Hyundai and KIA USA say it is perfectly fine. The BMW will be too. The one caveat being if that filter is what caused the issue. Which is extremely doubtful.

Originally Posted by Trav
I cant imagine you will have a problem. I wouldn't make a point of disclosing it and your concerns, let them do the talking.

Absolutely. Don't give them ammunition.

If there is a problem where a dealer service dept refuses a warranty claim on the basis of an aftermarket part that you feel is suitable, then contact the filter maker. They have an incentive to help out the customer and don't like it when vehicle makers cite the use of their product as why something failed.

I think that would be the case for Fram, Mann+Hummel (including Purolator and Wix), Hastings, etc. Now I'm not sure how a seller like Beck-Arnley or WORLDPAC would deal with it though. They get more or less generic products they claim will meet OE specs, but it's going to be some nameless manufacturer. I don't know how well they stand behind their product if the vehicle manufacturer blames the product that they're selling.

Waiting until they give me a decision is making me cringe. Thanks guys Im somewhat getting relieved now just out of curiousity I asked my SA what would be the cost of an engine replacement and I was told it'd be around 20k with labor..
shocked2.gif

Normally I hate when people cite the Magnusson-Moss act because it's usually about how they did some ghetto mod and then wonder why things went sideways. In this case this is exactly what it's for.

Waiting until they give me a decision is making me cringe. Thanks guys Im somewhat getting relieved now just out of curiousity I asked my SA what would be the cost of an engine replacement and I was told it'd be around 20k with labor..
shocked2.gif

Don't let it wreck your weekend man you have no control over it until they get back to you and it sounds like you did nothing wrong. It may be a minor repair.

Hi guys ever since I started using mann oil filter over genuine filter the engine seemed much quieter so I kept using them but recently my bmw started to make a ticking noise when accelerating from a stop. Took my car to the dealer as it's still under factory warranty and they couldn't find the cause so now there having a rep from bmw come and make a decision on weather I need an engine replacement. Mann is suppose to be oem for bmw if Im not mistaken but can it be possible due to the filter not being genuine bmw I get red flaggged and warranty voids? Thanks..

This is unfortunate. I hope it works out for you.

There have been incidents with the oil filter not being the correct type, such as the proper protrusion missing, that resulted in engine damage. If they determine that the oil filter you bought was of the incorrect type, they will void your warranty. Otherwise, they can't void your warranty for properly installing the correct aftermarket oil filter.

So, unless there is a situation like the following, things should work out. The driver had bought a MANN-FILTER oil filter without the protrusion from Amazon, with the correct oil filter being one with the protrusion, and had it installed at an oil-change place. I doubt this is what happened in your case though. Again, if the oil filter was of the correct type and installed properly, being aftermarket is a nonissue.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...67607/all/Wrong_OEM_oil_filter_ruins_Mer

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS COMING ON
WRONG OIL FILTER
HOOKED UP SDS AND BATTERY CHARGER PREFORMED QUICK TEST FOUND CODE IN ME
P054A00 THE POSITION OF THE EXHAUST CAMSHAFT (CYLINDER BANK 1) DEVIATES FROM SPECIFIED VALUE IN DIRECTION OF ADVANCE DURING COLD START
NOTICED THAT WHEN PULLING CAR IN THE MOTOR WAS UNUSUALLY LOUD
CHECKED OIL LEVEL AND FOUND TO BE SLIGHTLY OVER FULL
CHECKED OIL FILTER AND FOUND WRONG OIL FILTER INSTALLED
THE OIL HAS A SILVER SHEEN TO IT BECAUSE OF INTERNAL DAMAGE DUE TO WRONG OIL FILTER.
INSTALLED PROPER OIL FILTER AND CLEARED CODE
ENGINE IS QUIET NOW BUT YOU HEAR A SLIGHT BOTTOM END NOISE
GAVE ESTIMATE FOR ENGINE REPLACEMENT
CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIRS AT THIS TIME
THE OIL FILTER THAT WAS INSTALLED ON THE CAR WAS FOR A 272 ENGINE THAT WAS IN THIS MODEL UNTIL 2012 THIS CAR HAS A 276 ENGINE

[Linked Image]

BITOG....home of the paranoid. This scenario would never even cross my mind because it's crazy....assuming you bought the correct oil filter which you can check right now then there's lots of causes for your engine issues.

Nowhere does it say you must use an OEM filter and my guess is 80%+ of all filters sold are after market.

Last edited:
If it is the right oil and filter for the application, and the oil and filter was changed when it was supposed to be, you shouldn't have any problems.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
BITOG....home of the paranoid. This scenario would never even cross my mind because it's crazy....assuming you bought the correct oil filter which you can check right now then there's lots of causes for your engine issues.

Nowhere does it say you must use an OEM filter and my guess is 80%+ of all filters sold are after market.

There are those saying don't give them a reason.

And reading here there are a lot of people who deliberately choose an "incorrect" filter. Possibly based on the notion that a bigger filter with more media surface area will be bigger. Or a larger can might increase oil capacity. I get the idea that bigger is better, but it seems kind of excessive.

Of course it's kind of hard to do this if there's a cartridge system. However, are there any oversized cartridges meant to be used with aftermarket oversized filter housings? That could get interesting.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but who determines that the filter is right, BMW or Mann ? If BMW says no and Mann says yes, will Mann cover the replacement costs ? They stand behind their product, right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back