Mazda value line filters OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazda has recently replaced their Tokyo Roki made oil filters with different part numbers. I have seen some of the new ones that are still sold in cardboard boxes made in Thailand and shrink wrapped ones made in Mexico that are referred to as "value line" parts. Does anyone have any experience with the new ones? I have a lot of confidence in Japanese made parts, less so if they come from Thailand or Mexico. Has anyone compared the new filters to the originals?

I haven't heard any complaints regarding the value line filters. I may be wrong but I think the Mexican made filters are Denso. Someone here may know.

The Thailand factory is Roki and they are good filters. Anything made in Japan is for the JDM market and generally not available in the US. Some online sales spout they are JDM Roki but the buyer gets the Thailand filters instead so be aware.

I would run the value line with no worries.

The last two filters I bought at my local Mazda dealer were Value Line filters, and before I put them on, as usual I wiped the inlet holes and machined threads with an oil damped paper towel and both of them had sizeable metal flakes in the threaded area, so much that I contemplated stopping right there and going to Autozone or wherever get a different filter but it was late in the evening both times and was filthy and had no real way to do this. I wiped them down until I could see no more flakes and used both of them. Box of these were Mexican made. One of the flakes was alarmingly large.

I went in last week to get another filter and this time they gave me a Thailand made filter. This one had no metal flakes at all and the inlet holes and metallic surfaces were pretty clean. I had no problem using it and was a bit relieved it wasnt like the previous two.

When I was checking out with the cashier, someone else came in and was talking to the parts guy about filters, and though I was dealing with the cashier and talking to her I distinctly heard him say "yea we have had some issues with those filters so we switched to these". Maybe this guy noticed the same thing I did, I dont know. It was kind of busy and I only caught bits and pieces of what they were saying. I know the service manager there and was going to talk to him about it but he was being yanked every which direction so I didnt get to talk to him. I plan to stop in and ask him about it if I get time in the next few days.

I was not happy when Mazda stopped bringing in the Tokyo Roki filters made in Japan. From what I see the made in Mexico value line filter looks identical to the wix 57002. I trust wix but I always ask for the made in Thailand denso made filter. I refuse to buy "value line" stuff from the dealer. If I wanted cheap stuff I'd go to AutoZone. If I wanted the best I go to the dealer and expect genuine OE stuff. Just my opinion.

Interesting to know about this. I haven't used any of these filters, instead I went with the M1 108A but the last time I shopped for one I was not impressed with the glue all over the baseplate. I intend to go OEM from here on out.

Now I'm waiting for the accusers to hop in this thread calling names and such for besmirching foreign products.

Mazda has turned to Thailand as the latest model filter. Either improvements, cost or quality I trust that is the one that Mazda has that one in mind for the Skyactiv engine. As far as aftermarket, on an OEM overall the bypass setting and the lack of ADBV and size of housing is specific to Mazda's design. After my warranty expires I might do some thinking, as it looks like right now the filter business might be in a transition mode.

Most Thailand-made filters are made by Siam Filter

Why not just get WIx? There's also the Wix XP/Napa Platinum, on sale at Napa for $8.99 for a couple more days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back